Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to buy OS X Lion, but where?

I want to buy OS X Lion, but it's not available in AppStore. Is there a chance to buy it at other stores?

Does someone knew that there's a chance that OS X Lion is available in future?

Sorry for my bad english 😉

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2,4 GHz, 4 Gb Ram

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 3:41 AM

22 replies

Jul 30, 2012 8:11 PM in response to trevor1ders

trevor1ders wrote:

I just got off the phone with Apple about this. The guy on the phone told me they took Lion off because people wanting to purchase Mountain Lion were accidentally purchasing Lion instead of Mountain Lion so they took Lion off to avoid confusion and plan to put it back in the Mac App Store after the hype of Mountain Lion dies down.

That is Pure BS. They took Lion off the Minute they posted Mt Lion. In fact Lion was removed shortly before Mt Lion was posted for purchase.

Jul 30, 2012 8:49 PM in response to Bonanza888

Not to my knowledge, as far as the trend of people buying Lion and thinking they were buying Mt Lion.

Originally Apple removed it completely. No way to buy or download Lion once Mt Lion was released. Then after several calls by users that now wanted to upgrade to Lion Apple made in available again by calling them and ordering it. Then Apple would send you a code to get it from the App Store.

There are several Mac models that can run Lion but can not run Mt Lion. And wouldn't you know it the people that own those model Mac's now, just after Mt Lion was released, wanted to upgrade to Lion.

They also removed Snow Leopard from the Apple web store. So no way for anyone that was using Leopard to upgrade to Snow Leopard, let along Lion or Mt Lion as Leopard does not have the Mac App Store.

Lets face it, you by an Apple product you drink the Apple Kool Aid. Lemmings, Lambs to the slaughter. Apple way or no way.

Jul 31, 2012 12:11 PM in response to Shootist007

No, because I got on the App Store the day AFTER Mountain Lion was released and both Lion and Mountain Lion were in the App Store at the same time! Then Lion disappeared a few days ago, now only Mountain Lion is on the App Store. But Lion was still there for a few days after Mountain Lion was there because I specifically checked to see if they were still going to sell Lion after Mountain Lion as released because I still have Snow Leopard and I was going to upgrade to Lion, and it was in the App Store still the day after Mountain Lion was released! (my Mac is 32-bit so I can't upgrade to Mountain Lion, but I can upgrade to Lion when they put it back in the App Store)

But yes, it was indeed still in the App Store for a while after ML was released and apparently caused confusion according to the guy on the phone, but they were both in the App Store for a while together.

Jul 31, 2012 1:48 PM in response to trevor1ders

That is not true, at least for me. The minute, actually before, Mt Lion hit the MAS Lion was removed. You are mistaken and unless you took a screen shot of the MAS when both were available, and both showing on the same page or some kind of date stamp on the SS, I will stand by what I know to be the facts. When I went to the MAS to buy and downlaod Mt Lion I did a search for Lion and it was gone. I did the search just to see if it was still available, and it wasn't. That was sometime in the afternoon EDST on the day Mt Lion was released. Actuall the date/time stamp on my Install OS X Mt Lion.app file is July 25, 2012 5.34PM. The download took about a hour so I was at the store buying it around 4:30PM EDST.

Here is Link to a post on the 25 of July, the day Mt Lion came out about how Lion is no longer available. Time stamped for me as I am on the east coast 5:06 PM

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4136680?answerId=19022623022#19022623022

Also a Screen Shot of the post. with my time stamp.

User uploaded file

So why was not available to that person but yet available to you the Day After Mt Lion came out?

Simple you are mistaken.

Sep 11, 2012 12:29 PM in response to P. Kennedy

Then the person you talked to has no idea, they are mistaken. Call back and talk to someone else.

P. Kennedy wrote:

Just got off the phone with Apple. Needed an Lion upgrade for my daughter's six year-old MacBook, which is still functioning quite well, but can't accomodate MT LION. For $21 they are sending the code for the Lion download. Transaction took 5 minutes on the phone.

I want to buy OS X Lion, but where?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.