1 2 3 4 Previous Next 48 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2014 7:36 PM by mutatron
rpmca Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Calendar is not accepting .ics invites. Here's the scenario:

I receive an email invite to a meeting (they use outlook exchange). I quicklook the .ics file to check the date/time/etc... It's all correct. I then double-click the .ics file and iCal (now Calendar) opens. Nothing happens: it doesn't add the file, move to the day of the event, etc...

This only happens occasionally and it's driving me nuts. Most of the time meeting invites work, but every so often they won't. Or they will but then any updates won't be accepted.

Any thoughts?

(I'm on a MacBook Pro 15'' that's a few years old, running 10.8)

• 1. Re: Calendar not importing .ics
    Osler Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Exactly the same problem (running 10.8 on a brand new Retina Display MacBook Pro 15" - which, by the way, is awesome!).  Quicklook works fine but double click takes me to a random date and doesn't insert the event. Seems to be happening every time I receive an invite.  Help???!!!!

• 2. Re: Calendar not importing .ics
    rpmca Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Exactly. I use quicklook as well to at least know what the meeting date/time is. Once I doubleclick it add it to my calendar, it opens my calendar and nothing appears...just sits there blank with no action taken.

• 3. Re: Calendar not importing .ics
    bikerider1001 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same issue here :-(

When I paste <webcal://calendars.office.microsoft.com/pubcalstorage/...Calendar.ics> into a new browser window, iCal opens and the subscribe window populates with the URL.

I hit "subscribe", pause while it checks, then the error message: "The URL webcal://calendars.office.microsoft.com/pubcalstorage/...Calendar.ics encountered redirect error -1007. Make sure the URL is correct."

I know the URL is good b/c I can subscribe in Outlook 2007/XP.

Running: 10.7.4, MackBook Pro 2011

• 4. Re: Calendar not importing .ics
    vailmac Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

I stepped into this hole this morning running 10.8.1 and could replicate all the issues described in this thread.  I'm on a new MPB Retina.  Clearly this is going to require a software fix from Apple.  In the meantime, I appreciated the reminder that you can at least use Quicklook to see the event properly and then manually enter it into Calendar.

• 5. Re: Calendar not importing .ics
    Andrew Harris1 Level 1 Level 1 (90 points)

Just chiming in here to report the same problem... actually mine is ever weirder.

1) Click on ics in mail.

2) Calender opens

3) shows the event as an old exsiting event (like somebodies birthday party 2 years ago)

So basically istead of getting the new even I get some old event... this is a weird bug.

I do have something that helps... if you drag the ics to the calender the even goes in normally.

I don't know why I ever upgrade Mountain Lion took away more things than gave.

• 6. Re: Calendar not importing .ics
    edavies Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same problem, including the occasional weirdness described by Andrew Harris above.  10.8.2 on a 17" Mid 2010 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM.

• 7. Re: Calendar not importing .ics
    B Skelton Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

The dragging of the ics does work, thanks for the temp workaround. I was seeing the same strange behavior of reusing old events.

• 8. Re: Calendar not importing .ics
    ScottCarney Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Another weird variation on this thread:  I am running 10.8.2 on a MBPR.  I use iCal to manage my google calendars.  I get .ics files in my email.  Sometimes clickng on them will properly added the event to my calendar.  Sometimes, like others have experience, the event simply will not add (actually it briefly seems to add and the vanishes).  Then, if I successfully add an event and then have another event to add from an ics file in my email to take place on the same day, the first event will be deleted as the second is added.

I'm afraid I will need to find another calendaring program.  It's a shame as I really liked iCal under 10.6.  I used it with icalx to manage several calendars shared with various people and it all worked just fine.  This icloud integration push seems to be wreeking havoc with apple software.

• 9. Re: Calendar not importing .ics
    ScottCarney Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Seriously, this is terrible.  Is there anyone from Apple reading these threads?

• 10. Re: Calendar not importing .ics
    IanBearden Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have the same problem, except that for me it is consistent.  Everytime I try to import and .ics invite from email, focus moves to iCal, and then iCal asks me to accpet an invitation from a random event in the past. 

Two questions:

Is there a fix in sight for this, or has Apple decided that every other calender is wrong?

Is there a good calender app which also works well offline (I would use google exclusively, but sometimes

I am not on line)..

• 11. Re: Calendar not importing .ics
    Andrew Harris1 Level 1 Level 1 (90 points)

It's consistent for me as well. In fact the only thing that is not consistent is what meeeting in the past that it randomly selects.

The issue is with mail I think not iCal. When you click on the link in mail it somehow corrupts the content of the ics.

A temporary workaround is to drag the ics from mail to iCal. This will populate it with the correct info.

I'm sure apple will fix it it is just a matter of waiting for an update.

I myself am suffering through three issues that are a major pain in the neck

1. Calender invites not working properly (this is a big deal I use this everyday)

2. Random freezes after waking from sleep. (This is actually catastrophic for a work machine)

3. Some issue with my backlight spamming my error log (I've had to shut off automatic brightness adjustment)

After using ML for a while I have discovered there is really not that much new in it that I need at all... conversly there are a ton of bugs. I am seriously thinking of rolling back to Lion I am just put off by the fact it will take me all night to do it.

• 12. Re: Calendar not importing .ics
    Jake_in_Italy Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have the same problem. However, if I create an event in iCal on my MB Air running Lion and send it to my iMac running Mountain Lion, it works properly. The files that I'm having trouble with were created in Outlook. When I download the .ics file and analyze at this website: http://icalvalid.cloudapp.net/Default.aspx

It tells me that the file has problems - warnings and an error. A file created in iCal does not have an errors and only one warning. Therefore, the issue is arguably Apple's since it worked in 10.7, however Microsoft is a notorious violator of standards, so I speculate that Outlook is creating non-standard .ics files.

• 13. Re: Calendar not importing .ics
    whizz200 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Exactly the same problem too!  If I click on any new .ics file in an email, it immediately opens a diary event from 9 months ago.  Furthermore, nothing actually happens with the new .ics event.  On my machine (brand new MBP Retina, OSX10.8.2 and iCal 6.0).

Its not random, always opens the same old event.  I've tried deleting the old event, but it keeps re-installing it (and sending the old event originator continual decline messages!).

However, if I drag the .ics file into iCal, it seems to work fine (although accepting the event is a bit of a palava).

Any ideas to fix gratefully received.

• 14. Re: Calendar not importing .ics
    ThinkPlanAct Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Exactly the same problem (running 10.8 on a brand new Retina Display MacBook Pro 15" - which, by the way, is awesome!).  Quicklook works fine but double click takes me to a random date and doesn't insert the event. Seems to be happening every time I receive an invite.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next