Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TUTORIAL: Disable Auto Save, Versions and bring back Save As

1. Quit the app(s) you want to configure.

2. Launch Terminal.

3. Paste the command below in the Terminal window, then replace 'name of app' with the name of whatever app you want to configure (e.g. 'textedit'), before hitting Enter:

defaults write -app 'name of app' ApplePersistence -bool no

Alternatively, you can configure all apps at once with the following command:

defaults write -g ApplePersistence -bool no

I don't recommend doing this, though, because, for some reason, it slows down the login process considerably.

For TextEdit only, you also need to run another command, as a workaround for errors that prevents it from functioning correctly:

defaults write -app textedit AutosavingDelay -int 0

4. Relaunch the app(s).

5. Enjoy you considerably less infuriating Mac! 😉

If you don't see any changes, a relogin will in most cases do the trick (if not, the app probably uses a non-standard saving mechanism).

Please note: Although this brings back Save As in most apps, this is sadly not the case with Preview and iWork.

To undo any of the above commands, run:

defaults delete -app 'name of app' ApplePersistence

defaults delete -g ApplePersistence

defaults delete -app textedit AutosavingDelay

P.S. If you want to remove data already stored by Versions, you need to delete the hidden .DocumentRevisions-V100 folder in the root directory of your disk(s).

Apple is dead to me.

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 11:02 AM

42 replies

Aug 2, 2012 2:30 AM in response to softwater

softwater wrote:

I don't recommend doing this, though, because, for some reason, it slows down the login process considerably.

I'd like to know what that reason is before trying any of this.

What? I was specifically talking about disabling ApplePersistence globally in the section you are quoting. Learn to read in context. Do you honestly think I would bother publishing this tutorial, if I didn't recommend people actually doing anything of it?

Aug 2, 2012 2:39 AM in response to Apple 1976-2011

Apple 1976-2011 wrote:

softwater wrote:

I'd like to know what that reason is before trying any of this.

What? I was specifically talking about disabling ApplePersistence globally in the section you are quoting. Learn to read in context. Do you honestly think I would bother publishing this tutorial, if I didn't recommend people actually doing anything of it?

Why did you not post it as an opinion? I love Auto-save, no matter what you recommend. Post it in the User tips where it belongs. Take your attitude along with it as well.

Bye

Pete

Aug 2, 2012 4:56 AM in response to petermac87

petermac87 wrote:

Why did you not post it as an opinion? I love Auto-save, no matter what you recommend. Post it in the User tips where it belongs. Take your attitude along with it as well.

Bye

Pete

Don't worry, I'm not going to force you to do things you don't want to, unlike certain others who take pleasure in forcing things like auto save down people's throats (oh, and the reason I didn't post this in the user tip section, is that you need to be level 5 to do that).

Aug 2, 2012 5:27 AM in response to Apple 1976-2011

Why?

Because the "Ask to keep changes when closing documents" setting doesn't actually turn off Auto Save and can cause loss of data.

Because the Save As "feature" in Mountain Lion, isn't actually the traditional Save As that OS X had prior to Lion, but a useless, mock version that is likely to cause data loss.

Because Apple still refuses to offer any way of disabling Versions.

Or, in other words:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/07/31/phil-schiller-re-iterates-apple-doesnt-a sk-consumers-what-they-want/

Aug 2, 2012 5:46 AM in response to petermac87

I love Auto-save, no matter what you recommend.

That has been the problem since Lion's debut. Those who love it (which appears to include someone at Apple in charge of this particular feature) can't seem to understand that not everyone does. And as more than one long running thread in Lion stated over and over, this entire issue would go away if Apple did one, VERY simple thing. Give the user choice. That's what an OS is supposed to do. Not dictate to the user how to work.

Aug 2, 2012 9:37 AM in response to RonL

RonL wrote:

Apple 1976-2011,

I did a search for the Terminal command you posted and came up empty.

defaults write -app textedit AutosavingDelay -int 0

Where did you find it?

I 'cooked' it up myself ;-) (it's an improved version of an older command I anonymously posted on Stack Exchange some weeks ago... in fact everything in that post is cooked up by me... not that I care... I'm not in on this for the glory... I just want to make OS X tolerable after it turned into POS X with the introduction of Lion...)

Aug 2, 2012 12:46 PM in response to Apple 1976-2011

Apple 1976-2011,

Regarding your post (immediately above)..

Why did you tell people to use:

defaults delete com.crapple.Whatever ApplePersistence

...to restore normal behavior?

It should be...

defaults delete com.apple. ApplePersistence -bool yes

I realize that 'Whatever' taken in context is the name of the application to which a person wants to restore Autosave, but "crapple?" Not good to be joking when you're dealing with code.

And shouldn't the Terminal Command to revert TextEdit be?

defaults write com.apple.TextEdit AutosavingDelay -int 1

TUTORIAL: Disable Auto Save, Versions and bring back Save As

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.