Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp from OS X Mountain Lion Full Instructions

Here are full step by step instructions to boot camp your mac with Windows 7 from OS X Mountain Lion, including instructions in case of error messages.

Prepare an external hard drive for back up

1. In order to prepare your external hard drive, there are two things I would recommend doing. The first is to format your external hard drive as MS-DOS (FAT). In doing so, you are able to use your external drive on both the OS X and Windows sides of your computer.

2. To format your external drive as MS-DOS (FAT) simply connect your external drive, launch Disk Utility (in the utilities folder), and select your external drive on the left hand side. Then select the Erase menu and change the Format drop down selection to MS-DOS (FAT). Then click erase. Now your drive is formatted for OS X and Windows.

If you already have information stored on this device DO NOT erase. It is not a requirement of boot camp to format your external drive this way, but it does make your drive more useful in the long run.

3. Next you want to partititon your external hard drive. This is only necessary if you wish to store more data on your external drive than just a backup. If you are backing up with Time Machine (which I recommend) then partitioning your drive really is not necessary. In order to partition your drive, connect your external drive, open Disk Utility, select your drive from the left, select the Partition menu and change the size of the partition. This will mean that part of the drive is dedicated to your backups and the other part (or partition) of your drive is dedicated to whatever else, which in this case will likely be your Windows backup.

Convert USB to MS-DOS (FAT)

1. In order to downlaod WIndows Support Software through Boot Camp, you must have a USB (it can be very small as it is only storing a limited amount of data) that is compatible with OS X and Windows. This means again connecting your USB, opening Disk Utility, selecting your external drive, select the Erase menu, and change the Format drop down selection to MS-DOS (FAT). Then click erase, and now your USB is ready to downlaod the Windows Support Software.

Back Up Mac with Time Machine to External Hard Drive (Bootable backup)

1. Now that your external hard drive and USB are ready for OS X and Windows, you must back up your computer. There are other programs out there such as Carbon Copy Cloner which you can also use to back up your Mac, but I found Time Machine to be the easiest. Simly connect your external drive and select Time Machine from System Preferences or Applications. Turn on Time Machine and wait for your computer to finish backing up.

Begin Boot Camp process

1. Open Boot Camp Assistant from the Utilities folder. Follow the onscreen instructions which will prompt you to download Windows Support Software (to your USB) and to install Windows. You will then be asked what size partition you will be dedicating to each "side" of your computer. Remember that 32 bit Windows 7 requires at least 16 GB to install and 64 bit requires at least 20 GB. I personally went with 80 GB for Windows on my 250 GB hard drive as I will be using OS X more frequently.

2. Insert your Windows installation disc and click install.

If you had no problems after this point, you can skip to the "Reformat Windows Partition" section. If you received the following error message, continue reading:

The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved. Back up the disk and use disk utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.

Fixing the error message

1. If you received the error message above, do not fret. It is not as difficult as it seems. There are answers all over the internet for how to fix this but this is what works. You MUST have backed up your computer using Time Machine to continue on from this point.

2. Restart your computer, and upon reboot press COMMAND + R. This will allow you to open Disk Utility, select your computer from the left hand side, select the Erase menu, and Erase your hard drive.

3. After doing so, go back and select to Restore Mac from Time Machine Back Up. Select this option and connect your external hard drive. Your computer will recognize your back up and will begin restoring your computer. This WILL BE a bootable backup, meaning that if you have Mountain Lion installed on your drive before wiping your computer and restoring, you will still have Mountain Lion.

4. After this process is complete and your Mac is up and running again, reopen Boot Camp Assistant and try again. You should have no problems at this point.

The reason that you may have to follow these steps is because you have likely been using your Mac for some time now and have downloaded and saved various items, erased them later, and have randomly scattered open spaces on your hard disks. This means that your hard drive is Fragmented. In order for Boot Camp to run successfully, it needs a significant amount (the size of your desired partition) of continuous open space and with a fragmented drive that is impossible. There are programs such as iDefrag but this DOES NOT WORK to solve your particular problem. The only way to truly defragment your drive is to back up, wipe your drive, and then restore. This gives the necessary amount of open space at the bottom of your hard disks in order for your computer to successfully partition itself.

Reformat Windows Partition

1. After Boot Camp has successfully partitioned your drive and begun installing Windows, you will be given the option of where to put your Windows installation.

2. Of course, you need to select the BOOTCAMP drive. There may be an error message saying that you cannot install to this portion of the hard disk because it is not formatted correctly. However all you need to do is select the option to reformat the boot camp partition, and you will be able to successfully install Windows.

In following these instructions, you will be able to sucessfully partition your drive and run Windows on your Mac.

OS X Mountain Lion, boot camp error message instruction

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 12:27 PM

16 replies

Aug 1, 2012 1:45 PM in response to caroline61490

First thanks for the help! Apple does have a support page & FAQ etc articles that go unread now

Mac 101: Using Windows on your Mac via Boot Camp

Boot Camp Support:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/boot_camp_install-setup_10.7.pdf

create a Windows support software (drivers) CD or USB storage media

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4407

Trouble downloading Windows Support Software (probably the most common complaint with no easy solutions)

Advanced Network: Proxy Settings, I uncheck "Auto Proxy detection" and make sure you have the interface you use selected and none others.

"Go into System Preferences - Network - Advanced - Proxies Uncheck "Auto Proxy Discovery", click OK, Apply"

After Unchecking "Auto Proxy Discovery" I also had to Uncheck "Use Passive FTP Mode (PASV)" and then Restart Boot Camp Assistant.

Try reboot into Safe Mode also.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455

odiggy's comment and tried restarting Boot Camp Assistant. That did the trick, even though the Auto Proxy Discovery checkbox ended up the same as it started. Windows support software is now downloading... if you're downloading to an external drive make sure there's a least 1 GB of free space because the WindowsSupport folder is around 700 MB and presumably will grow with time.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3223773?start=15

Macs that work with 64-bit editions of Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows 7

Boot Camp: FireWire devices may affect Windows 7 responsiveness if connected to an Apple Thunderbolt display

to make the trackpad work. You need to install trackpad++
(http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4967-trackpad-control-module.html), it will enable the trackpad driver on boot camp. After you install the trackpad++, trackpad++ will complain something. ingnore it. You should be able to enable trackpad. And you can now even uninstall the trackpad++, the trackpad will sill work.
brightness, what graphics card are you using? It might be due to the auto adjusting brightness running there. You can go to your power options, edit the one you are using (Change plan settings >> Change advanced power settings) and look for Batteries >> Enable adaptive brightness and disable the one you are using. After that, the scrollbar for adjusting brightness in power options should work again.

Bootrec.exe Windows Recovery Environmenthttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

bluetooth connection is incredibly unreliable/intermittent when in Windows (I run Windows 7 64-bit and Boot Camp 4.0, and got both devices connected without any trouble via Bluetooth).

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4079148

Successful setup of OS X Lion + Data Partition + Bootcamp Win7 Ult

Paragon CampTune

Paragon CampTune is a commercial product that is designed expressly for this task. http://www.paragon-software.com/home/camptune/
It consists of a downloadable ISO that needs to be burned to a disc and booted from in order to resize the partitions.
Securing Dual-System Configuration Imaging is still the most affordable and robust way to secure computer data. Unfortunately Mac OS X backs up only HFS+ volumes, leaving Windows with dual-system configurations unsecured. You can permanently lose all of your data unless you have a Windows-compatible backup solution. Paragon’s CampTune and Paragon’s Drive Copy for Mac can secure the entire dual-system configuration. CampTune creates traditional images of volumes or entire hard disks, Drive Copy can copy them to other disks. In case of an emergency, you can restore the previously created image or copy all your data back to its original state.

Partition Manager 12 Home

Apple Boot Camp Partition Resize

Are you a Boot Camp user? If so, you might have come across this problem: Initially allocated space for the Windows partition has turned out to be insufficient for your current needs. With Paragon Partition Manager you can take some space from your Mac partition, thus redistributing the unused space between the partitions.
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-personal/

Thread with suggestions Windows backup & management methods:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3798090

-------

While I would not use FAT, I would use Paragon NTFS and/or HFS drivers to provide dual access and no need to be limited to an external FAT drive volume. USB flash fine. TimeMachine needs to be GPT/GUID. likely someone could just shrink the volume by x-amount instead and format a small data volume as FAT.

use one drive with both an OS X boot volume, TimeMachine, room for data most drives today are 1-3TB.

Where do you boot when you have no DVD with ML or Lion unless you install or clone your system.

have a small 30GB OS X to run, so you can erase an entire drive

not everyone made Lion/ML bootable USB flash drive.

if people don't read the Boot Camp Assistant instructions and manual and then come here asking... not sure how to get them to plan and find a tip - a good write up needs to go into the User Contributed Tips Library but which 95% fail to do and those that do probably know how. After 5 yrs dealing with Boot Camp... stick around as we need more people here to answer questions.

Aug 14, 2012 4:22 PM in response to caroline61490

This is just the exact kind of guide I was looking for. I'm right now with Mountain Lion and installed Parallels 7 (only compatible version apparently), but I was having some performance issues with some 3D software which recommended using bootcamp instead. So I went ahead, but got the exact same error, as it seems, everyone gets.

My computer is backed up using Time Machine on a Time Capsule, does the reboot step work as well with this kind of backup, or will I have to use an external drive. I'm not in the economic position of buying one lately, so I could really use some help here, step by step help, since I'm new to this whole bootcamp and backup stuff... Thanks!

Aug 15, 2012 5:15 AM in response to andy_o12

The trouble is no one seems to look.

From the top of the forum, click on "Overview" -

Helpful Apple Support Resources

The lack of some issues though are not addressed by any support tech articles.

Andy: Start a new thread. This was a Guide I thought. Not just another "I have a question..." threads. And I can tell you just install Windows natively.

Installing Windows means read the manual, print it out but thankfully most people don't need more than that or hand holding as there are even screen shots, youtube to walk you through if that is what is needed.

Aug 16, 2012 4:19 AM in response to Macsrulepcsdrule

you can't repair partition tables wtih out either a CD or another drive to boot from to allow changes the partitions and some hidden can't be in use or mounted.

First backup. And a clone or restore image for both and CCC to clone Lion / ML Recovery partition. I prefer to see that be on another drive as well as on the main drive when you are left with notebook or limited boot drives you have access to.

ML should walk through and before installing build a emergency install and restore flash drive, but there are utilities to do that for users that are looking for that. And Paragon Rescue Kit for Mac and CampTune work with boot CDs.

Aug 20, 2012 3:14 PM in response to caroline61490

caroline61490, thanks for helping, but I feel I should point out several errors in your advice:

Prepare an external hard drive for back up

- it is not possible to use an MS-DOS formatted drive with Time Machine. In order to work with Time Machine, an external drive (or partition) must be formatted as "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)" (journalling is optional).

- it is not possible to resize an MS-DOS partition with Disk Utility. If you really want one on your drive, you must first partition the drive, then format the partitions, not the other way around.

(in general I'd recommend against using an MS-DOS partition on a hard drive, due to its serious limitations, eg. no files larger than 4gb, etc. - you're better to use Mac OS X or Windows NTFS formatting, and install appropriate software to read it from your system, such as Paragon NTFS on the Mac (included with Seagate drives) or MacDrive on Windows).

Convert USB to MS-DOS (FAT)

- your instructions assume people have a DVD drive and a Windows install disc. They aren't valid for anyone with a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro with Retina, or other computer that supports installing Windows from a USB stick; for those you need a 4GB+ sized USB stick.

- it's not called "a USB". USB is "Universal Serial Bus". You can have a USB cable, a USB connector, a USB hard-drive, or a USB flash memory stick (which is what you mean). You can't have "a USB".

"2. Restart your computer, and upon reboot press COMMAND + R. This will allow you to open Disk Utility, select your computer from the left hand side, select the Erase menu, and Erase your hard drive."

- People should not be encouraged to just casually erase their hard drive! Restoring from Time Machine doesn't always go smoothly, for example with restoring e-mail. It should be a last resort. I'd suggest they do a little more research.

I'm sure there's some helpful information in your contribution, but I hope people also go through the helpful material posted by the Hatter as well, and other threads in the forums (particularly about doing backups) before following your guide.

-joe

Aug 20, 2012 3:42 PM in response to joebelow

Thanks for your additions/revisions. Hopefully they'll be helpful to people reading the post. And to clarify, I certainly would not recommend casually erasing your hard drive, this is a serious thing to do to your computer and extreme caution should be taken in ensuring that you have a successful backup. However in many cases, this is the only way to partition your hard drive if it is fragmented.

Aug 20, 2012 5:05 PM in response to caroline61490

Peole should practice and "be prepared" and not wait for a disaster to learn what to do in an emergency either..

CCC is safe and effective and you can't know without experience. All the reading won't. And you can boot from the backup so you KNOW it worked before you erase.

And I could do it in my sleep and not worry.

But I recvommend having two backups of everything. That means three "copies." And to never ever put all your faith into TimeMachine for backup.

When we dumped to magnetic tape, tapes were so bad and unreliable that we could dump to two tape drives - concurrently - and then store each in separate room or locations. Later we went disk to disk copy and cut the time, didn't have to restore really - and pull the original and put it in a safe and use the new drive for our master.

No reason to be afraid or scared.

Fire fighters, sports, miliatary even test taking, practice drills are part of the game.

Aug 21, 2012 1:12 PM in response to The hatter

The hatter wrote:

Peole should practice and "be prepared" and not wait for a disaster to learn what to do in an emergency either..

CCC is safe and effective and you can't know without experience. All the reading won't. And you can boot from the backup so you KNOW it worked before you erase.

And I could do it in my sleep and not worry.

But I recvommend having two backups of everything. That means three "copies." And to never ever put all your faith into TimeMachine for backup.

A Big +1 to that advice.

Sep 23, 2012 1:50 AM in response to caroline61490

So, what used to be a smooth, easy process consisting basically in a few clicks, and valid for almost any version of Windows, now is a boil-in-the-*** process that requires external drives, fixing ghost errors, deleting your hard-drive and reinstalling the whole system from Time Machine, new error messages and reformatting partitions manually... And this for the only version accepted, Windows 7

Great update. Thanks, Apple!

Btw, this doesn't mean the help of caroline is not appreciate, thanks to you, too, this time without sarcasm.

Sep 23, 2012 5:42 AM in response to gwydno

gwydno wrote:

So, what used to be a smooth, easy process consisting basically in a few clicks, and valid for almost any version of Windows, now is a boil-in-the-*** process that requires external drives, fixing ghost errors, deleting your hard-drive and reinstalling the whole system from Time Machine, new error messages and reformatting partitions manually... And this for the only version accepted, Windows 7

Great update. Thanks, Apple!

Btw, this doesn't mean the help of caroline is not appreciate, thanks to you, too, this time without sarcasm.

It still is, except for the people who have no backup.

Nov 10, 2012 11:35 AM in response to caroline61490

This is what worked for me:

I had the exact same problem, searched everywhere, and only found one obscure little post somewhere that was my key to fixing this problem. I have a MBP Mid 2010 15" Core i7. Clean install of Mountain Lion on a brand new Crucial M4 SSD. I ran Bootcamp, followed instructions to the "T" as everyone on the forums with their RTFM responses so helpfully points out (sarcasm). I downloaded the drivers to a USB key, had my Win7 x64 install disc in the drive. Bootcamp would auto-reboot after creating the partition on my SSD, Win7 would start to install, I would get a couple steps in and get the message " no device drivers found make sure that the installation media...blah blah". I tried browsing to the USB key, which the installer could see, selected the folder on the key with the files. Every time, some message to the effect of "could not find files". No matter what, it would not find the files on the key, even though the files where clearly there. Then I tried the rEFit bootloader approach, that was a waste of time. Many searches to many different boards with no help, except for one which mentioned using a good hi-speed USB and an install disc that was BURNED AT 4X SPEED. I had tried everything else (including using a Win7 USB key install) with no results, so I took a step back, reburned my Win7 ISO onto a new DVD at 4x speed on my PC, verified it after burn. Used my best LaCie USB key (the ones that look like actual keys). I re-ran Bootcamp for about the 20th time. I re-did the step to download the Windows drivers to a USB key.

This time the install just worked, no problems at all. Win7 install got past the point where it was barking for missing drivers to the screen where it asks which partition on which to install. I selected the BOOTCAMP partition. You have to reformat it first in the installer to be the correct format. Then the install went off without a single hitch.

So to recap:

1) Use a decent USB key

2) Burn your Win7 install disc at 4x write speed, verify it to make sure it's perfect.

Not sure which one of these two things fixed my "missing driver" issue and allowed a smooth install, but one or both of them did because that's all I did differently this time.

Boot Camp from OS X Mountain Lion Full Instructions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.