Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot remove Unknown User

Hi just noticed in (OS X Mountain Lion) System Preferences, Sharing, Screen Sharing: I have a 'Unknown User' and too 2 'Unknown User' in the Remote Login.

See screen shots... got any ideas? (note clicking "–" does not remove the "Unknown User" they are stuck, hence my posting)

thanks

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 7:30 AM

39 replies

Aug 5, 2012 4:19 PM in response to concretenz

I had the same problem and i solved it (for Remote Login)

1) First remove all users that can be remove from GUI

2) shows the configuration of users

sudo dscl . -read /Groups/com.apple.access_ssh

example result:

AppleMetaNodeLocation: /Local/Default

GeneratedUID: 2F60778C-0931-47A4-B656-DBE07ACD843F

GroupMembers: 3D7C31B1-DEDE-4A5A-AAA8-CDD55645DC75

GroupMembership: youraccoutname

PrimaryGroupID: 404

RealName:

Remote Login ACL

RecordName: com.apple.access_ssh

RecordType: dsRecTypeStandard:Groups

3) remove the group GroupMembers that the user is unknown

sudo dscl . delete /Groups/com.apple.access_ssh GroupMembers 3D7C31B1-DEDE-4A5A-AAA8-CDD55645DC75

4) Go to System preference (dock) and see the result

excuse my bad english.

Ciao,

Andrea.

concretenz wrote:

Hi just noticed in (OS X Mountain Lion) System Preferences, Sharing, Screen Sharing: I have a 'Unknown User' and too 2 'Unknown User' in the Remote Login.

See screen shots... got any ideas? (note clicking "–" does not remove the "Unknown User" they are stuck, hence my posting)

thanks

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Aug 19, 2012 1:39 PM in response to concretenz

Thanks for the sggestion, but it didn't work for me. The "Unknown User" does NOT appear in "Users and Groups" but ONLY in the list pertaining to "Screen Sharing" in the "Sharing" pref pane.

Using the Workgroup Mgr form what I can tell allows you to edit the "users and groups" members, but this mystery user only exists for me in the screen sharing area.

Thanks again

Aug 20, 2012 3:23 AM in response to concretenz

THANKS!

That worked, but for anyone else that tries this, make sure that under the "View" menu bar item, you have "Show System Records" selected; otherwise you will not see "Screen Sharing ACL" or anything else, for that matter, in the left-hand pane of Workgroup Manager. My Workgroup Manager defaulted to NOT showing the system records.

Thank you again.

Sep 3, 2012 3:16 AM in response to plkay

Do you use the server version if Mac OSX?

I set up an "only sharing user" in Mountain Lion but without any reason it didn't work. Connections from other Macs failed. So i delete the user an set up a new "only sharing user" over the sharing option - "add new user".

The old user was set up in screen sharing and this one is now displayed at "unknown user" :-(

With workgroup manager i could not see any users then the local user and the new "only sharing user".

I don't know what to do else.

Sep 6, 2012 4:32 AM in response to dkretsch

In Workgroup manager select from menubar:

View ~Show system records.

Than in WGM Accounts window select Groups ~Screen Sharing ACL group (GID 401)

Select this group and on the right side select Members. There you will see "Unknown user", which you can minus.

After, you wont see any Unknown user in system pref.

But DON'T delete any system records or users on the left side of WGM! Some of them could be restored, but it is not so simple.

Cannot remove Unknown User

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.