Skip navigation

Paranoid Security

550 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2012 3:18 AM by Jorsta RSS
RobertJ Level 4 Level 4 (1,190 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Aug 4, 2012 10:56 AM

I've been using ML for about a week and a half. Largly all seems good except this bug I and others ran into

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19031036#19031036

Then there is the removal of scripting capabilities from the Calendar app in "the interest of security" like this

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19029770#19029770

Fortunately there is a work around.

The only other real complaint I have is that I, as an administrator couldn't write to the root level of my HD's until I tweaked the permissions.

I have been using Macs since 1984 and have many working directories at the root level. I know that as things evolved and multiple users were introduced Apple decided how thing should be organized and working root level directories other than those anointed by Apple like Applications, Users, .... aren't part of the vision.

The problem with this is that I have numerous scripts that are based on my current directory organization at the root level of my main HD and the other two HD's which are clones of my main HD. These scripts have evolved over 15+ years and I really don't want to modify/rewrite them. I also use an offsite backup service that reflects my current structure and I really don't want to overhaul that.

Are you listening Apple; not really. Just had to get that off my chest

User who still has his Mac 512K, Power Book 145 and four others.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion
  • William Boyd, Jr. Level 6 Level 6 (10,475 points)
    Aug 5, 2012 7:05 PM (in response to RobertJ)

If you have your own files at the root level of your Mac's disk, you haven't moved beyond an OS 9 mindset.  I suggest that you bite the bullet and adapt.

• William Lloyd Level 6 Level 6 (19,195 points)
    Aug 5, 2012 7:09 PM (in response to RobertJ)

On the contrary, I'd say those scripts really _haven't_ evolved over the past 15 years

You should update the scripts and put directories as subdirectories of your home directory.

Aug 6, 2012 8:37 AM (in response to RobertJ)

RobertJ wrote:

I suggest that you bite the bullet and adapt.

I have.

From your other post you obviously haven't adapted.  The root of your problem seems to be that you're treating OS X as just another version of the "classic" Mac OS.  If you'd treated it as an entirely new operating system (which it was), you'd have moved your files into user directories and you wouldn't have your problem.

Aug 6, 2012 8:40 AM (in response to RobertJ)

RobertJ wrote:

Forgot to add to my previous reply my total adaption record re computers.

I'm not sure of your point in posting that, but I'm not particularly impressed.  My list contains all those same computers (except for Commodore) and is longer than yours.

Aug 6, 2012 9:05 AM (in response to RobertJ)

RobertJ wrote:

With regard to

My list contains all those same computers (except for Commodore) and is longer than yours.

I doubt that.

Here's a partial list of the computers I've used and/or programmed for (not in chronological order):

IBM 7094, Univac 1005, Data General, IBM 360/20, IBM 360/50 (DOS), IBM/Amdahl OS MFT, OS MVT, OS/VS, VM/370, VM/PC, DEC VAX-11 780, DEC VAXstation, Sun SPARCstation, IBM RS6000/AIX, Mac from 1990 to 2012, Linux 2002-3, PC-DOS, MS-DOS, DataPoint, CDC 3200, CDC 160A

I would include in the category of closed minded someone who for 10 years refuses to adapt to a new data organization scheme.

PS: Don't you think you should move on to 10.8?

I've been running 10.8 for quite a while.  Thanks for reminding me to update my details.

• Jorsta Calculating status...
    Aug 12, 2012 3:18 AM (in response to RobertJ)

Then there is the removal of scripting capabilities from the Calendar app in "the interest of security" like this

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19029770#19029770

The only difference from before is that Calendar can't run scripts saved as script files. It can still run scripts saved as applications.

You don't have to use the Automator workaround - see late posts to the cited thread.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.