Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Paranoid Security

I've been using ML for about a week and a half. Largly all seems good except this bug I and others ran into

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4139732

Then there is the removal of scripting capabilities from the Calendar app in "the interest of security" like this

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4139323

Fortunately there is a work around.

The only other real complaint I have is that I, as an administrator couldn't write to the root level of my HD's until I tweaked the permissions.

I have been using Macs since 1984 and have many working directories at the root level. I know that as things evolved and multiple users were introduced Apple decided how thing should be organized and working root level directories other than those anointed by Apple like Applications, Users, .... aren't part of the vision.

The problem with this is that I have numerous scripts that are based on my current directory organization at the root level of my main HD and the other two HD's which are clones of my main HD. These scripts have evolved over 15+ years and I really don't want to modify/rewrite them. I also use an offsite backup service that reflects my current structure and I really don't want to overhaul that.

Are you listening Apple; not really. 😮 Just had to get that off my chest 😀

User who still has his Mac 512K, Power Book 145 and four others.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 10:56 AM

9 replies

Aug 6, 2012 6:31 AM in response to William-Boyd-Jr

I suggest that you bite the bullet and adapt.

I have. I have a Mac Pro, Macbook Pro and one killer Linux machine. Also use Firefox with thousands of extensions which allow me to do it my way on my computer. Currently have a 25Mb Internet connection to my house, no longer dial-up 😉

I also build fully W3C compliant web sites pro bono for small churches and charities. Note that this page has 88 Errors and 68 warning(s) for HTML based on its DOC as XHTML 1.0 Transitional. See

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=https%3A%2F%2Fdiscussions.apple.com%2Fmessage% 2F19176478%3Fac_cid%3Dtw123456%2319176478&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doc type=Inline&group=0

for the details; it also has 592 CSS errors. 😮

Aug 6, 2012 6:48 AM in response to William Lloyd

You should update the scripts and put directories as subdirectories of your home directory.

That sounds easy (the script part - only path changes) but I will have to map my off-site backup for the changes which is a large effort. Since I'm the only user on this machine I'll just keep tweaking the permissions for now. I might try biting this off a little at a time when the golfing season is over and we end up with a foot or two of snow on the ground. Forgot to add to my previous reply my total adaption record re computers.

Computers I've used: IBM 7094 -> UNIVAC 1108 -> IBM 360 -> DEC PDP11 -> DEC VAX-11 780 -> DEC VAXstation 8000 -> Sun SPARCstation 2 -> Mac from 1984 to 2012 & Linux from 2010 to 2012 (Note: the list is not complete since I left out the PC "type" machines like the Commodore 64 and a couple of DOS machines).

Aug 6, 2012 8:37 AM in response to RobertJ

RobertJ wrote:

I suggest that you bite the bullet and adapt.

I have.

From your other post you obviously haven't adapted. The root of your problem seems to be that you're treating OS X as just another version of the "classic" Mac OS. If you'd treated it as an entirely new operating system (which it was), you'd have moved your files into user directories and you wouldn't have your problem.

Aug 6, 2012 8:45 AM in response to William-Boyd-Jr

I moderate three forums including one for Firefox and one for Linux. The thing I've noticed about some of the high level contributors here is that they are a rather closed minded group.

With regard to

My list contains all those same computers (except for Commodore) and is longer than yours.

I doubt that.

PS: Don't you think you should move on to 10.8?

Aug 6, 2012 9:05 AM in response to RobertJ

RobertJ wrote:

With regard to

My list contains all those same computers (except for Commodore) and is longer than yours.

I doubt that.

Here's a partial list of the computers I've used and/or programmed for (not in chronological order):

IBM 7094, Univac 1005, Data General, IBM 360/20, IBM 360/50 (DOS), IBM/Amdahl OS MFT, OS MVT, OS/VS, VM/370, VM/PC, DEC VAX-11 780, DEC VAXstation, Sun SPARCstation, IBM RS6000/AIX, Mac from 1990 to 2012, Linux 2002-3, PC-DOS, MS-DOS, DataPoint, CDC 3200, CDC 160A

I would include in the category of closed minded someone who for 10 years refuses to adapt to a new data organization scheme.

PS: Don't you think you should move on to 10.8?

I've been running 10.8 for quite a while. Thanks for reminding me to update my details.

Aug 12, 2012 3:18 AM in response to RobertJ

Then there is the removal of scripting capabilities from the Calendar app in "the interest of security" like this

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4139323

The only difference from before is that Calendar can't run scripts saved as script files. It can still run scripts saved as applications.

You don't have to use the Automator workaround - see late posts to the cited thread.

Paranoid Security

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.