Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini auto restarts when shutting down with Mountain Lion

When i shut down my mini via the dropdown menu my mac restarts.

What might cause this to happen ?

thanks

Applesinafton

Mac mini (Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 7:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 11:58 AM

I don't think it has anything to do with Mountain Lion, or at least is not unique to ML. My MacMini (server) does the same thing which is annoying sometimes, i.e having to shut it down twice in a row. I'm running Lion Server on my Mac Mini. I haven't tested it out yet but I have a feeling it might have something to do with the fact that I have the shutdown and startup of my Mac Minin on a schedule. Again, I haven't confirmed this by disabling the shutdown/startup schedule so it's just a guess at this point so I could be totally off regarding that. But it's definitely not unique to the Mac Mini running Mountain Lion.

72 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2012 11:58 AM in response to applesinafton

I don't think it has anything to do with Mountain Lion, or at least is not unique to ML. My MacMini (server) does the same thing which is annoying sometimes, i.e having to shut it down twice in a row. I'm running Lion Server on my Mac Mini. I haven't tested it out yet but I have a feeling it might have something to do with the fact that I have the shutdown and startup of my Mac Minin on a schedule. Again, I haven't confirmed this by disabling the shutdown/startup schedule so it's just a guess at this point so I could be totally off regarding that. But it's definitely not unique to the Mac Mini running Mountain Lion.

Aug 8, 2012 2:10 PM in response to PacAce

Ive only thought it might have to do with ML because it started just after i Installed the ML upgrade from the app store on my mini. I dont think i have my mini on a schedule as you do so i think thats not the problem.

Ive been putting my mini in sleep mode which works fine for a work around for now but dont want to do this for ever! I thought it would be a good thing to post my problem as im sure others have encountered this glich as well!

thanks for the reply PacAce!

Applesinafton😉

Aug 24, 2012 10:00 PM in response to applesinafton

Thanks for posting. I just installed a mountain lion update to my mac mini and now I am stuck in this endless shutdown the computer tells me there's a problem, and then it restarts itself. It keeps saying I am shutting down becoause there's a problem even though i am trying to shut down because that's what I ususally do. It thinks I have programs still open. I am glad to see that I am not the only person experiencing this problem.

Aug 25, 2012 1:07 AM in response to applesinafton

@applesinafton: Are you saying that the Mini restarts everytime you try to shut it down? In my case, it used to restart just once. Then when I shut it down the second time, it did shut down. If your is always restarting no matter how many times you try to shut it down, then it doesn't seem like the same issue I was experiencing under Lion Server (it's no longer doing that and I'm now running Mountain Lion Server). Hopefully Apple can come up with a fix for your problem soon.

Aug 25, 2012 2:24 AM in response to applesinafton

Try the following:

1. Reset the SMC then try shutting down.

2. If that isn't enough, then unplug any non-essential peripherals, i.e. every but monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

If the keyboard and mouse are USB, then plug them separately and directly into the computer; do not pass through a hub be it the one in the keyboard or monitor.

Then try shutting down again.

- Sometimes USB devices can cause what you're seeing, so removing all but the essentials and plugging the keyboard and/or mouse directly into the computer can help to eliminate that -- unless of course either or both are bad. I once had a USB fail, which caused a Mac to reboot continuously.

Aug 25, 2012 8:38 AM in response to applesinafton

Thanks everyone for the responses. I tried to forcequit everything and tried resetting my SMC, but nothing worked. The only way that works for my mac mini is if you hold the power button down for 10 seconds, then it shuts down. However, as soon as it starts up, and you try to shut it down again, it goes into that weird restart cycle. I don't know if it makes any difference, but I use apple's bluetooth wireless keyboard and trackpad.

I just hope apple puts out a fix soon, this literally started after I applied the OSX update.

Aug 25, 2012 6:16 PM in response to PacAce

i was able to start up my mini after a unpluges the power cord. then was also able to shut it down in the regular fasion.

im going to do that after this post to be sure and i will edit this post and let you know it it still shuts down as it should........be back in a few!

applesinafton

Edit

Ok, i guess it only worked once for me which it not a solutioin. tried to shut down and it rebooted. I should have tried twice from the get go but did not.

if anyone, or the great folks @ Apple can come up with a fix im sure i will gwt a email from the forum if someone posts something!

sorry fellas!

Applesinafton

Mac Mini auto restarts when shutting down with Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.