Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Access App Store with Mountain Lion

After installing Mountain Lion on my Late 2011 MBP 13" several days ago, I have not be able to access the app store and more importantly the now built in software update.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 9:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 10:25 AM

It loads the App Store window and tries to load itself, but after 5-10 seconds it stops and has a nice, pretty message on the app store window "cannot connect to app store"

26 replies

Aug 31, 2012 10:42 AM in response to mpkillab

I've been having problems connecting to the App Store (iTunes Store worked though) with a brand new MacBook Pro. The solution was to repair permissions on the hard drive. To do this, open Disk Utility (under Applications\Utilities), click on the hard disk, then on “Repair Disk Permissions”. It will take a couple of minutes to complete and might resolve the problem. Good luck!

Aug 12, 2012 12:21 PM in response to mpkillab

Is your wifi connection otherwise OK (e.g., are you posting on this forum from the same computer)?

If you suspect wifi might be the problem, see my post on how to solve mountain lion wifi problems here.

If you're sure wifi isn't the problem, then try resetting the App Store. Sometimes 'command-R' will do it (which is similar to 'refresh' in Safari), but otherwise, you'll need to enable the debug menu. To do that, follow the instructions here

http://osxdaily.com/2011/01/10/enable-mac-app-store-debug-menu/

From the debug menu, choose 'Reset App Store'.

(ToU Disclaimer: this post contains a link to my site which contains other links which promote my services as a technical writer)

Aug 21, 2012 6:48 PM in response to Wade Scherer

OK, I was having two issues. One was the same as yours. I was able to fix this (with help from Apple phone support). You have to reset SAFARI. I guess the app store and iTunes use the safari engine -- did that and blammo no problem connecting to the iTunes store and the App store.

The other issue was more subtle.. certain sites kept timing out on me. The answer to that was that I had to lower the "MTU" on my ethernet connection. Instructions are here

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1411365

and the same ones are here

http://osxdaily.com/2012/08/02/fix-os-x-mountain-lion-wireless-connection-proble ms/ (fix #2)

Aug 12, 2012 12:51 PM in response to softwater

My wifi connection is ok… some very particular pages refuse to load, mostly the youtube homepage. When I sign into youtube it tells me that my login is invalid, and my url forwarding parameters are also invalid even though the login was successful. This happens with all browsers, not just Safari. I can however access most pages on youtube besides the homepage. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them now.

Aug 19, 2012 11:41 AM in response to mpkillab

I'm having the same problem. My network connection is fine - there is plenty I can do -- can check and send email with thunderbird, login to websites, etc. Things I cannot do -- access pretty much any apple page on the web, access iTunes, and some "outgoing" activities fail - for instance I can login to wikipedia and view pages but when I try to edit them, the connection times out. Nice job apple. You mostly killed your own functionality. But how do I fix this??

Aug 24, 2012 6:22 PM in response to mpkillab

I had a machine in the other day (MBP 13" Running 10.8) wich was getting "App Store cannot verify a secure connection with the App Store" when trying to connect to the app store or run software update (being it was running OSX 10.8).

For this machine i found the problem was due to Proxy settings ( "Auto Proxy Discovery" was checked. Unchecked "Auto Proxy Discovery", Problem Fixed).

So besides checking Your Proxy settings( System Preferanced/Network/Advanced/Proxies), I would also check:

*Time, Date, Timezone settings.

*If you have any Anti-virus software installed it could be the perp (Im personaly not a big fan of anti-virus software on Macs as they often cause more Problems than they solve)

*check Firewall settings (System Preferances/Security & privacy)

While there are other things to consider, start with checking those.

Hope this is of some help.

Aug 21, 2012 11:47 AM in response to bruce toman

Having the same problem. I can't access iTunes either.

I tried to reset the app store, and I cleared the cookies.

Still won't connect.

I either get a popup that says "App Store cannot verify a secure connection with the App Store"

or a black screen or the screens says Cannot Access App Store.

iTunes behaves similarly.

This all started after installing Mountain Lion.

Cannot Access App Store with Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.