Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not print print after upgrade to Mac OS 10.8 Mountain Lion

Hi all,

I just upgrade Macbook air to Mountain Lion, but after upgrade it can not print due to "hold for Authentication" error. Mac asking for User name and password, I tried to enter my mac User name and password but can not help.

I change to other type of printer but still same problem

I also try to reinstall Mac Mountain Lion from start(not update from Lion) but still face off same problem.

Is there anybody can help me for this? I was in big trouble for this problem for over the week.

Thank you so much

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Air (13-inch Late 2010), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 7:15 PM

12 replies

Aug 28, 2012 4:49 AM in response to Zeus.cuong

Please be very wary of the HP Printer Software Update 2.11. It installs a piece of software called hpPostScriptPDE.plugin in the Library which caused my HP printer Model No. HP2840 to crash every time I tried to print.

I received advice from mende1 which directed me to this problem, and by following his instructions I cured it. However, Software Update is still sending me messages to install this update, and of course if I do, I am back in trouble again!

At some stage it will dawn on Apple that this is causing problems.

Aug 28, 2012 5:14 AM in response to alfonso78

I can only copy the help I got, and advise you that it worked for me. I am not sure yours is the same problem, but you could try it. It did no harm on my machine.

mende1

Open Finder, select Go > Go to Folder, write /Library/Printers/hp/PDEs and delete hpPostScriptPDE.plugin

Oct 5, 2012 5:19 PM in response to alfonso78

hi . I had the simalar problems of my HP b209a-m printer not being seen on my wireless network> I found this post on HP Discussion Board and it worked!

1. On the printer navigate to the Wireless or Network menu.

2. Select Restore Defaults.

3. On your computer look for a wireless network named 'hpsetup' and connect to it.

4. Print a Wireless Network Test from the front of the printer to see its IP address. (on my b209a-m Printer the IP info was found by pressing the Wireless Icon)

5. Type the IP address into the address bar of a web browser to see the printer's internal settings.

6. Click on the Network tab and look for the Wireless Setup Wizard and run it.

7. The Passphrase is the password you use on your wireless connection.

8. Now change the network name on your computer back to your wireless network.

The printer will now be connected to your network. Connect the computer back to the network and re-add the printer from System Preferences.

Hope this works--- it did for me.

Jim

Mar 4, 2013 1:44 PM in response to Zeus.cuong

Our office recently upgraded our printer from an HP LaserJet 8100 series to a Xerox Phaser 5550. When I initially added the printer, I allowed Print and Scan preferences to download the appropriate driver. When I did so, I got the dreaded Hold for Authentication error. After doing a number of the remedies above without success, I deleted the printer driver and downloaded the driver manually from the Xerox website. The error went away.

Can not print print after upgrade to Mac OS 10.8 Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.