Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I bought an iPhone that was reported stolen by the seller

I bought an iPhone 4 with the screen cracked. I replaced the screen and was using it as a personal iPhone. Today it got blocked. So I called AT&T and they told me the phone was reported stolen.

So, here is what I assume happened. The seller broke the phone, so in order to get a replacement phone he reported it stolen. He got the replacement, and sold me the broken one.

Now, AT&T, even tho Im telling them this guy lied to them to get a new phone, they refuse to contact him or help me in any way.

So I went back to my calls, and I have the calls of Saturday 11 from 6pm and I bought the phone Saturday midday. Basically I cant have his number now. There were no text messages involved either.

So, me question is; is there any way to retrieve the calls from Saturday 11 before 6pm?

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 5:52 PM

49 replies

Aug 17, 2012 6:28 PM in response to iLS6

Unless you have access to the number, there's no way. Why do you need those old numbers anyway?

Both of you have created a big mess, and you're getting stuck with all the problems. It would be best to get rid of this phone, and get a new, legitimate phone with a new account. Using stolen phones leads to nothing but trouble.

Aug 17, 2012 6:47 PM in response to Tgara

Ok, first of all I already got the number with an app. I was able to get all old calls so I found the number. Im going tomorrow to see a police detective I know to see what I can do.

I know nor even att cares if people steal from them. But US system cant be so crappy that ppl can screw up both a huge company and an individual and there is no way to do justice.

I called ATT and they didnt care, just said the phone wont be usable again.

Now my question is. If I buy the phone from an att customer who reported the phone stolen, and I have his number and I can even give a description of the guy, why in the world they will not take action? I mean this guy is stealing from you and you dont care?? What is wrong with people man?

Aug 17, 2012 7:08 PM in response to iLS6

They don't see it that way. They know nothing of this transaction between you and the seller, so if the seller reported the phone stolen, you're the bad guy, at least as far as ATT is concerned. You bought a stolen phone, so it's not surprising to find out that ATT won't talk to you.

Aug 17, 2012 7:14 PM in response to Tgara

Well, I see there are companies online who will give you the information of a phone number's owner. But Im gonna take deep breath and leave it alone for the night. Tomorrow Ill go to the police.

Now, att, hello! Im the bad guy from buying a phone from their own customer, who contacted me via his actual number, the one this so called stolen phone was registered to? come on bro, somebody must have a brain here, I didnt buy it from just somebody.

Aug 17, 2012 7:25 PM in response to iLS6

iLS6 wrote:

Now, att, hello! Im the bad guy from buying a phone from their own customer, who contacted me via his actual number, the one this so called stolen phone was registered to? come on bro, somebody must have a brain here, I didnt buy it from just somebody.

You do realize you could make all this go away by simply ditching the phone you stole and getting a new phone for yourself from an authorized Verizon store. ATT probably won't want you as a customer anymore, and you're now going to have a police record for dealing in stolen goods.

Aug 17, 2012 7:34 PM in response to AjaxOfSalamis

Ajax

No bill, I paid cash for a broken phone so I didnt think such a big deal off a broken phone was gonna come up.

The person I bought if from did not stole it. He broke it, then reported stolen so insurance will give him a new one. Once he got the new one, he sold the reported one to me.

This phone's imei was registered to his current number, the number the new phone is conected to now.

Aug 17, 2012 7:37 PM in response to Tgara

120 with broken screen, plus 32 for the new screen, plus 100 labor to replace it. I also have the old broken screen if that will prove anything which I doubt.

I also know the guy works at a publix in Miramar FL. I have his number. Im trying to figure a way to meet him other than telling him whats going on..

Aug 17, 2012 7:51 PM in response to iLS6

Unless you have some receipt and third-party (NOT your friends) witnesses who will attest to the seller saying thay you have no knowledge of the history of the phone, you are assumed to be part of the theft ring.

The person who reported it may not even be the seller, but the one from who the seller stole it.

You did use the phone, and called people. The phone company and police can use those numbers to find YOU.

You are in a mess.

A visit to a lawyer will help you figure out the depth of the mess. If you pay the lawyer, you are a client and what you say cannot be repeated to the police. Screw the money you paid for the phone and repairs ... that is gone.

But you need to know the right things (not lies, but how exactly how much) to say before dealing with the police.

And stop bothering ATT before you talk to the lawyer. Even if someone does believe you about the theft, ATT may not like you anymore. And it sounds like you are too young to be getting your own phone service in your own house or apartment, so I will tell you that at least 50% of the wires for telephones are controlled by ATT, and you may find yourself unable to get anything other than Verizon/Spirnt/TMobile cellular service for a very long time.

I bought an iPhone that was reported stolen by the seller

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.