Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1st gen apple tv.

I have a 1st gen apple tv. I have always and only streamed from my 1T TC. What has heppened is: it follows menus to the selected movie and when i select the movie, the 1st 1 second of video plays and then freezes. The audio continues for i don't know how long because i stop it. I have tried to sync a movie to it (wirelessly) and it tells me i have to open port 336(?)

1. Anyone know how i can fix the streaming? or how to open a port so i can try syncing...

I'd rather stream as i have 100's of movies to stream

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, 1st and 3rd gen apple tv

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 3:32 PM

26 replies

Aug 30, 2012 7:08 PM in response to ray071295

Applications>Utilities>Terminal

sudo ipfw add allow ip from 336 to 336

sudo reboot

If this does not work, try connecting the Apple TV to the Time Capsule via ethernet.

⚠WARNING⚠

Before entering sudo reboot, save any open files. You will lose all changes during the reboot.

You will need an admin password. The characters will not show when entering the password.

Also, you could go to Settings>Computers>Your Library.

Then go to Settings>Computers>Add iTunes Library. A code will be displayed. In iTunes, go to iTunes>Prefrences>Apple TV>Remove.

After that, restart iTunes. Your Apple TV should appear under Devices. Select it and enter the code.

If that doesn't work, I don't know what will.

Aug 31, 2012 4:03 PM in response to ray071295

In the terminal, type sudo ipfw add allow ip from 336 to 336. This will open the iTunes sharing port on your system. Typing sudo reboot will force your computer to reboot, which is why I said about saving any open files.

The rest of my post details how to set up syncing. Whatever you don't set up to sync, will stream as stated

here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1143

Before following the article, remove your apple tv from iTunes>Prefrences>Apple TV.

Hope that helps.

Aug 31, 2012 5:39 PM in response to The Snail Man

Silly question after the fact...

should i have removed the apple tv from itunes before the reboot? and if i was supposed to and didn't? I didn't :-( It navigates to the movie and when selected goes to a black screen and i have to crash the apple tv.

What i just did was upgrade software and disconnected apple tv from itunes. Did i pretty much screw the pooch?

Right now it is re hard booted and that i as far as i got...thanks for your guidance and patience.

Aug 31, 2012 7:26 PM in response to ray071295

Whether you remove apple tv from iTunes before or after reboot does not matter, the reboot was to finish opening the network port. Make sure that the Apple TV is not in iTunes and that there are no libraries listed under Settings>Computers. Then follow the instructions here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1143

Here is a link to the manual: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/AppleTV_SetupGuide.pdf

If this does not work, run a factory restore according to the manual.

Sep 1, 2012 4:13 PM in response to ray071295

ray071295 wrote:

Restored and now the 3rd works fine. How do i changed the setting from sync to stream on the 1st gen?

Don't bother - as Winston suggests sync connection automatically streams anything not on AppleTV when iTunes is runniung. If you want nothing synced choose custom sync and don't select anything.

If you really want to change go to Settings>Computers and highlight the top entry and remove that sync itunes library, then re-add lower down (streaming only). Media will be accessed in different folders prefixed by My Shared.

Note - you will not be able to stream from the cloud.

AC

1st gen apple tv.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.