Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

[Tips] Writing in RTL

Dear all,

I just started working on a book; this is my 1st time using iBooks Author. Everything is alright except for the Writing Direction.

I find it really annoying from Apple that they do not include the Writing Direction in most of their apps. Which is frustrating!

Anyways, as a temporary solution for writing RTL (for Arabic or Hebrew) writers.

You can use the "Notes" app, Start the Notes app (Right click) and choose "Paragraph Direction"

Write the paragraphs you need; then copy-and-paste them in their appropriate place in iBooks Author.

Hopefully iBooks Author will support changing writing direction soon.

Cheers!

Mohd.

iBooks Author-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Aug 31, 2012 8:43 AM

28 replies

Aug 31, 2012 10:21 AM in response to Hollow.eng

Unfortunately iBooks Author is based on the same code as Pages, which has failed to do RTL properly for 7 years now despite countless requests from users. Still it would not hurt to ask at

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ibooks-author.html

I think that the iBooks app itself does not support RTL page turning, while the iBookstore Publisher User Guide says that RTL scripts are not yet supported by the store.

Sep 2, 2012 10:35 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Well my friend I know that editing + writing is almost impossible + annoying in IBA. But when I want to edit something I copy+paste it back to Notes.app, then I copy+paste to IBA again.

It is a pain in the A** but I need to deal with it, I want to finish my book that I worked on from March!

Thanks btw for suggesting TextEdit I will try it now.

Sep 4, 2012 5:11 AM in response to wow707

Of course they provide the alignment to be either (Left, middle, Right). But what Im trying to do is to help you to write in the FULL Direction of (Right to Left) for Arabic + Hebrew.

I just finished first chapter of my book and it will be released soon after Im done with Graphics, images and videos.

Everything is Right to Left, even the Bullets List.

[Tips] Writing in RTL

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.