Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I install my HP Officejet 4500 Wireless printer in OS X Mountain Lion?

Today I bought a new HP OfficeJet 4500 Wireless printer and wanted to install it on my MacBook Pro (Early 2011) running OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion).

When I inserted the installation disk, it said that I should go to the OS X preferences panel and choose Printers, and add my printer there, because OS X uses its own printer driver installations. But when I chose the printer in the drop down menu, it said that the "driver is available for download from Apple. Do you want to download and install now?". I clicked "donwload and install" but after it looked for the download it said that the driver I am looking for is currently not available on the Software-Update-Server.

I also tried downloading the .dmg from the HP website but again: it wants me to install my printer using the default preferences "+ Button"

I hope you can help me.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), HP OfficeJet 4500 Wireless (G510n)

Posted on Aug 31, 2012 11:43 AM

19 replies

Aug 31, 2012 12:00 PM in response to mende1

Thanks for the quick response.

I can select the printer in that drop down menu but then it slides in a little window saying "configuring "OfficeJet 4500 G510n-z [...]" and after that it says that "The software for this printer Is available from apple. Do you want to download and install?" I can click cancel or download and install but when I click cancel, I did not achieve anything. I still cannot print. And if I click load and install, it's looking for the software via software update (I guess) but then it cannot find the software on the server and I'm back at the beginning.

Sep 1, 2012 3:14 AM in response to wertzu1122

I solved it:

just delete the hp folder in Macintosh HD>Library>Printers and install the driver package provided here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907

Then open the hp folder that has been created in Macintosh HD>Library>Printers and open the "cups" folder.

Double click the driver you need and your printer should be installed. Also all other printer installations should work fine now.

Sep 4, 2012 9:31 AM in response to wertzu1122

Thank you both this is helping me, the HP printer driver update only showed in the app store as an update once, I've done clean installs about 2-3 times since then, but nothing through the app store. Here's come my dumb ?, how do I know if' I'm running the HP printer driver 2.1.1? I think I'm going to follow your steps, but the fact that it come through the app store once is bugging me, I've reconfigured my software update to alert me when there's an update....no dice, I didn't even know I had 10.8.1 until one day I thought to check for updates.....see my username.

Oct 14, 2012 12:05 PM in response to wertzu1122

Hi, did you succeed to solve it? i have the same problem and it drives me crazy. i deleted the HP folder, re-installed the latest package, double clicked the driver and nothing!!!. still same loop.

can anyone tell me hoe the... can i do a manual install by showing the installer where the driver is instead of it looking for it in the software update?

help!!!

Oct 14, 2012 11:10 PM in response to motim

1. I deleted the HP folder in the printer folder in the library and the orgcups.plist and anything HP related in the preferences folder. Restarted and I checked the app store for updates..nothing.

2.Added my printer via print and scan in system preferences restarted checked the app store..nothing.

3.So out of sheer aggravation I went back to # 1 and checked the app store and wouldn't you know the newest update was there.

I learned a little trick for both the app and itunes store, hit command and r at the same time, it's almost like a reset. I'm sick of downloading updates from the apple website so am trying to be patient but this one came faily quick as for how I got the update from #3, no idea, I don't ask or research, just happy I got it. Good luck and lmk if you need help.

Nov 6, 2012 9:15 PM in response to wertzu1122

Here's something I found in another thread that was the only thing that worked for me. (I had the same problem with an Officejet 7410).

In the Print & Scan settings pane of System Preferences, right click in the empty white area of the printer list. Select the only item in the popup menu: "Reset printing system...". It will warn you that it will delete all of your installed printers. Answer yes, then after it's done, reboot (this seems to be a necessary step).

After that's done, try installing the printer again. It worked for me on the first try.

How do I install my HP Officejet 4500 Wireless printer in OS X Mountain Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.