Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error code -36 - HELP!!!

All of a sudden I am getting an error code -36 when I try to copy a particular folder from one location on my MacBook Pro's internal HDD to another location. (I copy and paste folders from my documents to my drop box folder on a daily basis as a backup method and this has never happened before, but now it's happening every time. )

I have tried a reboot.

Should I be worried??

What can be done to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.53 GHz), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 9:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 12:47 PM

Maybe you'll find some help here.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1969888

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2433

29 replies

Sep 2, 2012 10:15 AM in response to sanjampet

Thanks Sanjampet, but mine is a very specific problem that occurs when I try to copy one particular folder to a partiuclar location (both directories are located on the internal HDD of my macbook pro). It appears to be an intermittent problem.

Below is a screenshot of the error message.

I'm worried that this is a sign my drive may be failing. Are there any other possible explanations/fixes? Could it just be a corrupt file?

User uploaded file

Sep 2, 2012 2:23 PM in response to Richard_432

Try dragging the folder to the desktop, highlight it, in the Finder window drop file menu click get info and se if locked is checked, if so unlock it.

Also I would do a complete back up in case you do have a drive on the way out.

There could be something corrupt as well.

Try a permissions repair: Go>utilities>disk utilities, highlight your user drive (usually Mac HD or what you may have named it), clickRepair Permissions, tis can take a while

Dec 18, 2012 7:15 PM in response to Richard_432

You probably have figured this out by now, but I had the same problem; SMARTReporter returned I/O write errors -- I took it as a sign of impeding hard drive failure; replaced hard drive, restored files from backup. Everything's fine now.

BTW -- when scrolling through the Applications folder in list view, scrolling was very sluggish on that bad hard drive (I took it as a sign that some apps took up bad sectors of the hard drive, resulting in sluggish reading of the apps and rendering the icons).

Mar 22, 2013 1:19 PM in response to Richard_432

Try this

Just make sure you have a backup first just in case.

I tried this on an SD card and my mac could no longer see the files inside it but my Windows PC was still able to see it. so proceed at your own risk. Watch the youtube vid first and read the comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC3O-3ymVEE

-------------

If you can't youtube here is what he does:

To do with Mac's hidden dot files.

Open terminal (Applications\utilities\)

type dot_clean then drag the problem folder into the terminal window. This will automatically enter the path

hit enter

Now try moving the files

Aug 21, 2013 9:06 PM in response to Richard_432

hi, I have same problem.

I added the 2nd SSD fot MBP. I copied from the 1st SSD (MacOS) to the 2nd but it's reported like this.

i had tried do some test:

- when copy data from (1st SSD or USB): it will create the empty folder name which you want to copy.

- create new folder on the 2nd SSD: OK

- copy file from external USB to 1st SSD: OK; but 2nd SSD: NOT

I do as your guide but not success.

Event I do reinstall macos, format 2 SSD using Disk Utility.User uploaded file

please help !

Aug 22, 2013 3:44 AM in response to NhimCon

Hi,

WIll need some more info. About what exact disk are we talking about (from printscreen it's not clear)What file system is used on the 2nd SSD that is not working? Have you tried to put the 2nd SSD disk in computer with windows, then use partition magic or something simillar and format the disk to MAC supported file system, then put it back to MAC.

When the NTFS is used, you have to have NTFS utility, but I think you already know that 🙂

I found out that the USB Flash that worked under MACOS has 2 partitions (my TV showed the flash as 2 separate disks). Under windows the flash wasn't recognized at all, so I used AOMEI Partition assistant standard edition (full standard version free), deleted all partitions on the flash, create one and format it for NTFS. Then it's back to normal and flash is recognized by win and mac and TV showes only one disk.

Jan 6, 2014 9:35 AM in response to Franky66

I am having the same problem, but none of the posted solutions are working. I am running Mavericks on an iMac. I have two external HDs and I am getting this error message when I try to copy a file from one HD to the other. Typically they are media files which play just fine so I know they can be read. Therefore, I don't believe this has anything to do w/ my machine's HD? Does anyone have any other thoughts? Please??

Error code -36 - HELP!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.