Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

an unknown error has occurred

I'm getting the same problem that lots of people are posting, where I can't sign into the App store on my Mac (Macbook Air runnig 10.6.8). When I type in my Apple ID into the App store, nothing happens and I get a simple message "an unknown error has occurred." I can log into iTunes fine.

I've tried all the fixes posted, including this one https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4133. I read someone had success reformatting their computer, but this seems very extreme.

Is there a fix for this?

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 4:46 PM

8 replies

Sep 1, 2012 10:59 PM in response to grillman90210

Looks like I am being plagued by the same issue, as well as gent, and countless others across the forums . I am using a MacMini, purchased in 2011, running OSX 10.6.8 and attempting to update to 10.8. I tried deleting caches and cookies and rebooted the computer many times, Doubled-checked the date and time (2), tried logging off and back on, disabed the firewall (2), repaired the disc permissions.

Formatting is not an option, as it would only further complicate the ugrading process.

Did you ever find a fix to this issue? I am still looking as well, but if I come across anything I will post it here.

Sep 4, 2012 9:53 AM in response to Debian00

Still no fix, and also tried cleaning some old network settings I don't use anymore. I only have my Airport connection now.

I tried the fix where you edit a plist to change a line from <false> to <true> and it didn't work (I put it back to <false> when it didn't work).

I definitely don't want to reformat.

I can't believe so many people are reporting this and there doesn't seem to be a reliable fix.

Sep 4, 2012 11:21 AM in response to grillman90210

Hey Grillman!

I was able to fix the issue without having to format, so don't go down that road just yet!

At the time of writing this reply, I am using my computer at the office. Once I get back home to my Mac I will update this thread with the exact methods and workflow I used to correct the issue.

The process was similar to what some other users suggested, however there are a few key points where you need to restart the computer, and rebuild file permissions. Once home I can provide you with the correct procedures to fix this issue.

I should ask, are you too having issues with the Onboard NIC. The reason for asking is that one key issue that I was having was that the onboard NIC had been fried in an electrical storm, and that I was forced to use wireless as my only means to connecting to the network. If not, the same process will probably work as the procedure includes completely removing the App store and reinstalling with the latest version.

an unknown error has occurred

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.