Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is quicktime error -50?

I have been editing in FCPX on both my Macbook Pro and my iMac. I have been having problems with both when exporting video. At the end it fails and I get an error message. It reads "Quicktime Error: -50". Does anyone else know what this is?

It has happened when exporting both in FCPX, or in compressor, or the share monitor. It does not happen when I'm simply exporting the media, but it almost always happens when I export as any different format. It particularly likes to do this when I "share" to Vimeo.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 4GB RAM, FCPX

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 12:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 2:23 AM

This error occurs when there is corrupt or invalid media in your timeline. Check that the codec of all clips in your timeline are recommended for use in FCP X.

Andy

31 replies

Sep 3, 2012 8:30 AM in response to andynick

I checked this and this doesn't seem likely. I selected all of my media in the event and all but a few jpegs and one audio file were optimized. So I optimized that media, deleted all of my render files, rebooted my iMac, rendered the timeline, and sent it to Vimeo. Sure enough, I got another -50 Quicktime error.

I was able to use share/export media to export a full size file. That file I was able to run through compressor, and I was able to get it on Vimeo (eventually). But it's driving me nuts that the FCPX direct-to-vimeo feature doesn't work.

Oct 8, 2012 11:51 AM in response to Boisv

I just got this error trying to render H.264 format video files in compressor 4, and I know normally Compressor just hangs up and I have to force it to quit when I do that. It clearly doesn't like compressing compressed H.264 format files (I usually just convert to either ProRes or ProRes Proxy before sending to compressor now). Though I just bought a 12 core Mac Pro, this accepted the H.264 and started, probably because it had the power to get passed some labour intensive task my 8 core couldn't manage. Though it still didn't render them and just resulted in a -50 quicktime error message after a few minutes....

...anyway, so I doubt it's a drive error, and I doubt it's corrupt file issues, probably something to do with codec incompatibilty I would have thought... and if you are using h.264 that might well be the problem, though other formats probably could cause a similar issue. If you want smaller files for upload then maybe try ProResProxy, I've never had a problem with that, though that can still be quite large for some uploads.

..anyway, hope my experience may help someone in someway!

Oct 8, 2012 2:16 PM in response to JohnSmfifth

JohnSmfifth wrote:

I

...anyway, so I doubt it's a drive error, and I doubt it's corrupt file issues, probably something to do with codec incompatibilty I would have thought...

Actually, the very handy Edit Codes app says it's corrupt or invalid media.

As to h.264, I have not run into the problems you describe. Try running Digital Rebellion's Compressor Repair and check the trash preferences option.

Russ

Feb 6, 2013 4:00 PM in response to Boisv

I experienced the error in Compressor FCS3, and it turned out to be a frame size problem when watermarks are used.

My setting was set to resize to 854x480 (essentially 480p 16:9 with square pixels). Whenever I tried to add a watermark it would fail ("3x crash service down", quicktime error -50). It worked fine without the watermark.

I tried different file locations, files, codecs, and Compressor Repair. It wasn't that. As soon as I changed the resize to something else like 864x486 (with watermark), everything worked.

Mar 23, 2013 11:35 PM in response to JohnSmfifth

I had the same error, and found this post.

This was the answer! Thanks!

My sequence setting was H.264, and this was the issue. Who knew?

I simply went to the sequence settings and changed to ProRes and it rendered it all again. This created new render files, and all was well. I sent it to compressor and it all worked well.

From now on, I'll make the sequence for ProRes.

LeRoy H.

May 14, 2013 7:05 AM in response to Boisv

This same problem seemed to happen to me out of the blue. I've been using the same process for nearly a year now, shooting with the same camera and editing on FCPX. Now, nearly every video I edit this problem occurs. All I do is duplicate the project and it exports fine (whether to Youtube, Vimeo, or an H.264 file).

However, if I try and export that same duplicate project again, Error-50...

Very aggrevating.

Not to mention, I use to be able to export multiple projects while simultaneaousy working on others. No more, one export at a time, find something else to do for 20 minutes while it uploads. If not, a 2 minute video could take close to an hour or more.

What is quicktime error -50?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.