Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro mid 2010 logic board failure

Hi All,

I bought a mac book pro 13" in mid 2010.

Configuration: Core2 duo 2.4, 250GB HD, 4 GB RAM, NVidea GeForce 320M graphics card etc (http://support.apple.com/kb/SP583).

Some times I faced screen freeze. My laptop can't come out of sleep mode. The I need to restart it.

2 days back, i'm not able to start it (i mean on it). Battery is fully charged. but still I didn't understand the issue.

So, I have visited Apple service center in india and they said it is logic board failure and they said to fix the issue it costs around $400 to $500.

Later, I have found lot of posts on apple communities regarding logic board failure because of nVidea graphics cards and apple is replacing the logic boards free of cost. Is this problem is with macbook pro 13" mid 2010 models. Is my problem is also because of same issue. How can I confirm. If this is because of graphics card, then is apple going to repair my laptop. Is it possible in india?

~Surya

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 10:21 AM

27 replies

Oct 20, 2012 9:50 PM in response to pavanask1

hi I have the same problem too.

I have a MBP 13" 2,4 GHz 2X2GB 250HD bought in Dezember 2010.

5 Days ago my MBP suddunly switched off during i worked on iMovie and never starts again.

So i sent it to Apple dealer in Phuket, Thailand to check.

Now they told me the main board is dead (just dead) and i can replace it on my own cost.

And it costs me 26000 Thai baht ( 860 US Dollars). And for this money i can buy a good PC notebook.

can you help me please and tell me where to contact Apple to the right place to replace my main board for free.

I talked to the Apple dealer but they stil told me i have to pay my own.

how can i do it with Apple?

Please help

Feb 12, 2013 11:16 AM in response to pavanask1

I have the same issue with the same model. The apple store in India gave me a similar 600$ quote.

I am presently contemplating to go ahead with this exorbitant rip off or use the Indian postal service for communications and the multiplexes for $2 movie tickets.

The only problem is the uncertainty about the workmanship of the apple genius and the factories in china

Aug 21, 2013 11:46 AM in response to pavanask1

I have onen mid 2010 MacBook Pro (Purchased in late 2010) that is on its third logic board since May 2013 (and a failed optical drive), and two other that are each on their second logic boards. Though all have been replaced under AppleCare, it is clear that Apple has a quality control problem.

The logic board on the machine I use first failed in May 2013. It had all the classic symptoms of the graphics card issue. I took it to an Apple authorized facility rather than the Genius Bar.

I hate the "Genius Bar" because I feel that the people at the Genius Bar are either incredibly uninformed or are outright liars. When the "Genius" at the "Genius Bar" says that he has no idea what I'm talking about when I mention an issue raised by thousands of Apple users on hundreds of forums, only to hear from the "genius" that he has never heard of the issue, "It requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from" literally saying out loud to anyone in the range of my voice: "these aren't the droids you're looking for" (my apologies to anyone offended by my conflating "Moby Dick" and "Star Wars").

But I digress.

So, I took my MacBook Pro to the authorized repair facility and was told that it failed the logic board test and that the logic board would be replaced at no charge under AppleCare. The logic board, however, had to be ordered from Apple but would be there the following day. The following day I was told that Apple had informed the repair facility that the part was on backorder and would take another three days to arrive. Four days later, I was told that the part was still on backorder and should be there by the end of the week.

The part finally arrived and my Macbook was repaired. I expressed specific concern that the replacement would be an identical logic board that would similarly fail. I was assured, however, that the logic boards were thoroughly tested and that if the defect were present in the replacement part, it would be noted in the testing phase and not used in the repair.

The machine worked flawlessly for another 3 whole months, until August 1 of 2013 (fortunately, my AppleCare does not expire until August 26 of 2013, though it cannot be extended), when the logic board failed again. I returned to my local authorized Apple repair facility and was told that the logic board needed to be replaced, that I was still under AppleCare, that there would be no charge, but that I would have to wait for Apple to ship a new logic board. This time the logic board came the next day and was promptly installed. Unfortunately, when the technician ran the tests on this newly installed logic board, it also failed. As result, my trusty Apple repair facility telephone me and let me know that they had ordered another logic board to replace the newly installed board and that my MacBook Pro would be ready following Monday.

Indeed my MacBook Pro was ready the following Monday, and it has operated flawlessly for a full 19 days, from August 1, 2013 to August 20, 2013, giving me the kind of confidence one would expect when paying top dollar for a machine with Apple's reputation for quality in the final days running up to expiration of my AppleCare.

On a closely related note, I did find it interesting when I switched my company from PCs to Apple, that for each Apple purchase, I essentially had to pay 10% of the purchase price for a three-year warranty (AppleCare) from a company who boasts of its quality control and charges a premium price for hardware that is incredibly expensive to repair, in part, based on it's now obvious undeserved reputation for quality control.

It occured to me then, as now, that I never purchased such a warranty from Dell, for example, and never had an issue with hardware on any machines other than our MacBook Pros. The only reason we switched to Apple was because of the abysmal Windows operating system. I am firmly against purchasing extended warranties on all products other than Apple because, in general, the cost of the product over its useful life renders the cost of the warranty un-economical. However, because of the extraordinarily high cost of repair on Apple products, and the fact that Apple was new to us, we did purchase apple care on all our MacBook Pros and we are grateful that we did so. We are however questioning whether or not to replace our Apple computers or to return to PCs (which, for us, have been remarkably solid in terms of hardware, but which require us to consider the almost unthinkable return to Windows) when we replace machines next January.

For my company, MacBooks have become much like Italian sports cars: Fun to drive, but expensive to buy, tempermental and expensive to repair; and you have to have another, non-Apple, machine if you actually need a reliable computer for every day work while your MacBook is in the shop.

While my little tirade may not have added to the discussion, it did give me the catharsis I needed at the moment, but I hope no Apple fans were harmed as a result.

Oct 26, 2013 2:14 PM in response to caravelfilmes

Ok, I've just found this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088?viewlocale=en_US

Anyone know if Apple is going to extend the replacement policy again? Or do I have to pay 700 dollars just because my logic board took a bit too long to die?

The worst thing about this is that Apple Spain didn't tell me anything about this WELL KNOWN issue. They just told me it's out of warranty. Nothing else. Like there's no problem at all with these computers. Just bad luck mine crashed. This is a simple and plain fraud.

Dec 1, 2013 8:58 AM in response to ocbizlaw

Same problem. Can you tell me what the logic board test is?

Macbook Pro mid-2010, 13 inches

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

Software OS X 10.9 (13A603)

I ran the hardware test about a month or so back - this was when my laptop that was on and functional (even checked emails and edited a word doc.) powered down suddenly and would not restart. Battery was full. Tried an entire range of things. PRAM, SMC, and then managed to wake it up enough (after about 2 hours of trying) in safe mode to run disk utility. It promptly shut down in the middle of that. Then I managed to run the hardware test but it showed no issues but still would not start. Sometimes I would hear the fans starting. Sometimes it would get to the gray screen and then power down.

Took it to Genius Bar the same day as soon as an appointment slot opened. The Genie (?) did the same things (safe mode, SMC reset, disk utility), and then somehow it sprang back to life. He could not diagnose what the problem was either. All was well till last week.

MBP was working fine in the morning at home. I get to the office and all I could hear were beeps (one every 5 seconds, constant). Apple online support walked me through the issue and suggested reseating the RAM and resetting the PRAM (Genius Bar appointments were not easily available and getting to one in Rome is tough, so the first thing was to try on my own).

Long story short (posted here LaksK https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4936832?start=30&tstart=0), the Genie concluded that its a faulty logic board and I would need to get it replaced. Since I have been planning on an MBP upgrade, I refused to pay EUR 340 and insisted he try reseating the RAM. He did that and put a special tape or glue so it does not move around. Macbook been working ever since yesterday night. I asked him what the long-term solution was? Logic board replacement. Now I am afraid to put this to sleep, and feel the need to shut this down (I associate these issues with having the laptop in sleep mode during transit).

Needless to say, I am nervous about working on the system and ****** at Apple as I am starting to realize that many have reported this problem. As is, I have everything in my Dropbox but I would like to walk around with peace of mind (which is why I bought MBP in the first place!). I am also annoyed that I can no longer run hardware tests on my MBP because the internet test does not work for these machines (mid-2010), and I don't have the original installation disks with me.

I appreciate your tirade. Same reason, I am posting in logic board related threads. Funnily enough, I live in Rome and have been comparing MBPs to Italian cars as well to explain my distress to colleagues.

Mar 13, 2014 9:29 AM in response to Laksk

Same problem here. Late 2010 MacBook Pro 2.8 ; 15 inches; with the 258mb nvidia.

Now, I was able to isolate the problem. My mac crashes when final cut pro is in full speed, or when I am requesting major effort from the graphics card. But this only started 'convienently' after the 3 year from purchase deadline, and 'suspiciously' after installing mavericks...

I'm together with you all, love the machine when it works, but right now, when I need it the most... Not so much

Will probably try to downgrade to mountain lion to see if the problem persists.

Jun 10, 2014 11:44 AM in response to Portugal=EuropeanCalifornia

Exact same problem. Been crashing once per startup recently and when waking up from sleep. Had the won't wake up at all problem multiple times and when I'm command-tabbing out of pro tools it crashes 30% of the time.

Mid 2010 and bought near there so there is no chance in getting warranty coverage at this point. Real nice scam these guys are running here

Macbook pro mid 2010 logic board failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.