Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DynDNS as mail relay for Mountain Lion Server

Greetings ~

After installing Mountain Lion Server, I proceeded to configure the Mail Service to relay mail through my ISP as available in the Mail Services tab -- as many mail servers do not accept mail from residential IP numbers. I have entered in the credentials that work successfully on client machines (DyDNS user id + outbound.mailhop.org).

There aren't really any options for these settings - just userID, password, and relay host.

While my credentials work fine in the Mail.app on non-server installs... it seems the options aren't avaible in the GUI to configure for DynDNS's relay server in the Server OS. DynDNS support is far from helpful. They just say -- it works; not our problem.

http://dyn.com/support/why-cant-i-send-mail/

Here is an exerpt from my SMTP logs... seems the ML Server isn't sending the credentials in a format DynDNS likes.

<-------log example------->

Aug 30 07:48:24 mini.local postfix/smtp[22564]: warning: SASL authentication failure: No worthy mechs found
Aug 30 07:48:24 mini.local postfix/smtp[22564]: 0FDCE2EA981: SASL authentication failed; cannot authenticate to server outbound.mailhop.org[204.13.248.72]: no mechanism available
Aug 30 07:48:24 mini.local postfix/smtp[22564]: warning: SASL authentication failure: No worthy mechs found
Aug 30 07:48:24 mini.local postfix/smtp[22564]: 0FDCE2EA981: to=<user@example.com>, relay=outbound.mailhop.org[204.13.248.71]:25, delay=80548, delays=80547/0.07/0.91/0, dsn=4.7.0, status=deferred (SASL authentication failed; cannot authenticate to server outbound.mailhop.org[204.13.248.71]: no mechanism available)

Ideas?

Posted on Sep 5, 2012 4:33 PM

7 replies

Sep 6, 2012 11:43 AM in response to Mark23

Thanks Mark23. I'll give them a call. DynDNS is 'supposed' to do what these guys advertise, too... Maybe these guys use a different authentication mechanism and/or are more willing to help. Ideally, the Server GUI would offer some more configuration options... or there would be a resource that would help "connect the dots" in scenarios like this.

I'll follow-up here...

Sep 10, 2012 10:01 AM in response to Mark23

Enter this into terminal to get you going:

sudo serveradmin settings mail:postfix:relayhost_enabled = yes

sudo serveradmin settings mail:postfix:relayhost = "server.dyndns.com"

sudo serveradmin settings mail:postfix:luser_relay_enabled = yes

sudo serveradmin settings mail:postfix:smtp_auth_relay_dict:smtp_auth_relay_userid = "dyndns_username"

sudo serveradmin settings mail:postfix:smtp_auth_relay_dict:smtp_auth_relay_pwd = "dyndns_password"

Hope this helps 🙂

Oct 4, 2012 4:09 PM in response to ribizzl

ribizzl ~

Not fixed yet. I didn't get this to work, either. I haven't given it the time needed recently. All my research pretty much summed up your assessment - "something is different." I'm sure some of the suggestions/solutions are correct, but they're just a tad 'above' my technical understanding so I'm not 100% sure of what parts I'm missing that some more technical recommendations assume I already know. 🙂

My ML server is more of a "hobby" that I tinker with... so it only gets time every-so-often. If I could figure it out - it would likely only house one or two email accounts. I'll report back if/when I get more time.

Oct 9, 2012 10:31 AM in response to LincNesh

LincNesh,

Seems the problem has been solved by Peter Rauen.

See this discussion: Mail relay SASL problem / postconf -n

I checked on my server and Peter is right. Although there are configs in /etc/postfix there is another path with postfix conf files: /Library/Server/Mail/Config/postfix

I actually only had to insert this line to main.cf there: smtp_sasl_security_options =

After a postfix reload my mails are being delivered via dyndns again.

Cheers!

DynDNS as mail relay for Mountain Lion Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.