Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt ethernet does not connect when plugged in.

I have a rMBP 2.3 gHZ, 8 gigs RAM running OS 10.8.1. I usually use wifi to connect to my network at work, but sometimes signal strength is low and I plug in my Thunderbolt to ethernet adaptor. The laptop does not recognize that I have plugged in, and to solve the problem, I have to open my network preferences and try to force it to connect. I shut down wifi, doing only this doesn't solve the problem; the machine still says that the ethernet cable is not connected. Then I go to the "advanced" window and click "renew DHCP lease." It doesn't connect right away, but when I close the advanced window, it will usually connect to the network. I have the impression that it doesn't work the same way every time, but I haven't been systematic enough yet to be sure. I have tried setting a specific location "work" for the ethernet connection so that I can select that state when I need to use ethernet. This did not solve the problem.

My adaptor is the genuine Apple unit, not an after market.

Any ideas? Any others have this issue? I'm hoping it's not a hardware problem.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2013 3:21 AM

I resolved the issue (with help of R. Singh). This is how I did it:

1. Unplug the Thunderbolt Network adapter (and / or Display adapter). This will not work if you keep the Network or Display dapter plugged in while doing the next few steps.

2. At the top main menu, click on "Go" and then "Computer". Navigate to: Library > Preferences > SystemConfiguration and drag to the trash the file "NetworkInterfaces.plist"

3. Restart your MacBook Pro and log back in. Once you’ve logged in, connect your Thunderbolt Network adapter again.

4. Go to System Preferences and click Network. If you see Thunderbolt Ethernet in green, you’re all good. Otherwise, click the plus + button at the bottom of the list of network interfaces and create a new Thunderbolt Ethernet interface.

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2013 3:21 AM in response to brianfromwaverly

I resolved the issue (with help of R. Singh). This is how I did it:

1. Unplug the Thunderbolt Network adapter (and / or Display adapter). This will not work if you keep the Network or Display dapter plugged in while doing the next few steps.

2. At the top main menu, click on "Go" and then "Computer". Navigate to: Library > Preferences > SystemConfiguration and drag to the trash the file "NetworkInterfaces.plist"

3. Restart your MacBook Pro and log back in. Once you’ve logged in, connect your Thunderbolt Network adapter again.

4. Go to System Preferences and click Network. If you see Thunderbolt Ethernet in green, you’re all good. Otherwise, click the plus + button at the bottom of the list of network interfaces and create a new Thunderbolt Ethernet interface.

Sep 12, 2012 7:04 PM in response to brianfromwaverly

I've had similar problems. Especially in hotels, the wifi can be slow or the signal is weak. I've tried connecting my 2012 15" Retina MBP with ethernet using my Thunderbolt adapter, however I have never been ablt to connect to the internet through ethernet. It will show an active ethernet connection in Network preferences, but no internet. I've tried reboots to no avail, and when I tried installing the Thunderbolt Software Update (1.2), I get an error message that it is not supported by my software??? My old 2007 Macobbok connects via ethernet no problem. I spent $4k on the rMBP and now can't do what I used to do.

Sep 12, 2012 9:52 PM in response to brianfromwaverly

I feel a bit foolish to admit that, at least in my case, a large part of the problem was ignorance. To be brief, I did not realize that I needed to hit "Apply" in the network preferences window to get the location to actually switch to the one I had selected. Duh. I have also realized that when the network does switch to a new location setting configuration that has wifi disabled, the wifi actually turns itself off. I think I like this approach, but it seems different from the logic of 10.7. I could be wrong, however, since I had not used the location feature extensively on my previous MBP running 10.7. I have discovered now that if I choose a new location from the Apple menu (rather than from the Network prefs), the system acts as if I had clicked "Apply." So switching location setups is really a one-click process. I had forgotten you could switch locations in the Apple menu. I still wish I could simply leave the location setting on "Auto" and ignore it, as I had done previously. On Auto, the system used to automatically switch to ethernet if I plugged in a cable, preferring ethernet over wifi automatically. It doesn't seem to do this anymore. It's not a big deal. I'm satisfied now with how it works.

I wish Augsburg57 well. It sounds like his/her issue is somewhat different from mine.

Feb 18, 2013 6:45 AM in response to JediMindTrick

Check your DNS server settings. I had this problem come up at work. I have set my DNS server settings to us 8.8.8.8, and I suddenly had no internet access. My place of work apparently blocks alternative DNS servers, presumably so they can monitor the traffic, or control it. DNS settings can be changed under the "Advanced" panel in "Network" settings. Choose the DNS tab and either delete custom settings to return to default settings or add an alternative DNS such as 8.8.8.8 (Google).

I don't know if this is at all helpful, but it's what I got.

Feb 18, 2013 7:34 AM in response to brianfromwaverly

Good thought Brian. I tried it, but it didn't work. It was encouraging to hear that you were able to mess with some settings and get it working again, so I dove in a little more. Low and behold, I deleted the Thunderbolt Ethernet from the Network page, then applied, then added it back, clicked Apply again and it ended up working. Something must have corrupted in the driver and just needed to be reinitialized. Oh well, hope this can at least save someone a headache down the road.

Mar 28, 2013 4:12 PM in response to brianfromwaverly

What if you don't even have the Thunderbolt Network adapter listed in the list of Network connections. All I have is WiFi, Bluetooth PAN & Bluetooth DUN, and in the bottom section there's VPN, PPPoE & 6 to 4.

I have a Mid 2012 with Retina Display Mac Air with 10.8.3 Build 12D78 installed for OSX.

If I goto the About this Mac and More Info and click on the Thunderbolt section it shows that I have the ethernet adapter plugged in and if I remove it and then refresh it goes away and then plug it back in and refresh comes back to the list. Below is what it's showing under More Info - System Info

Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter:

Vendor Name: Apple Inc.

Device Name: Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

Vendor ID: 0x1

Device ID: 0x8003

Device Revision: 0x1

UID: 0x0001000200B220F0

Apple Serial Number: DTN237407WEDWKHB5

Route String: 1

Firmware Version: 5.5

Port:

Link Status: 0x2

Port Micro Firmware Version: 0.0.8

But I can't see any Thunderbolt Adapters listed under Network Connections and it won't connect to the router since I don't have a network connection listed in my Networking section.

Nov 9, 2013 3:28 PM in response to brianfromwaverly

I have this exact same problem.

To summarize, I am using a cable modem (RCA DHG536) on Comcast. I am running MacOS10.8.5. My thunderbolt ethernet has a "connected status" under System Preferences> Network. Network preferences says I have an IP address (although it does not list any Router or DNS server)). And when I try to access the internet, it says I am not connected to the internet. The same cable modem works on MacOS10.6.8 and Windows 8.

If I follow the instructions under Network Diagnostics, there is no resolution or change.

If I run Network Utility, I can see packets being sent and received (a few) and link status is active as well. But no internet connection.

I have meticulously tried the solution proposed by JediMindTrick (which worked for him and muradn79), but it doesn't work for me.

I have meticulously tried the solution proposed by NuevaYork (which worked for him), but it doesn't work for me.

I tried creating a new location (as worked for brianfromwaverly), but I get the same problem as when location is "automatic".

I did not understand Hank7's suggestion about changing the environment profile. When I googled (mac os x environment profile), I didn't get much except references to environment variable, which didn't seem relevant (or I couldn't see the connection). So I did not do anything with my environment variable (which I have never done anything with in the past either…)

Does anybody have any other ideas?

If not, does anybody have any suggestions about other places to look for answers?

Thanks!

Nov 10, 2013 7:51 PM in response to brianfromwaverly

Since upgrading my mid 2012 MBP Retina to Mavericks (10.9), I have been experiencing the same issue. Everything is plugged in, but the Network System Prefs panel shows "Cable Unplugged". Ethernet cable is plugged into a known good port on the switch. Plugging the adapter into another (older) MBP works without issue. I have tried deleting NetworkInterfaces.plist - issue still exists. I removed the adapter in the Network System Prefs panel then re-added. It came back online for a short while (about a half hour) then it cut out again. Haven't been able to get it back online since. I too am looking for any ideas or suggestions. Thank you!

Nov 14, 2013 7:32 AM in response to brianfromwaverly

brianfromwaverly,

Thank you for your reply. Looking over the adapter:

• RJ45 port looks good - all pins are straight and appear clean.
  • Thunderbolt connector also looks good - all pins are clean and straight
  • Cable connecting the thunderbolt connector and RJ45 port is in excellent shape.
  • Connector on the MBP Retina appears clean and in good shape (I don't use it often)

Here is what I have done to test (keep in mind - the adapter appeared to be working without issue prior to the Mavricks upgrade):

• Plugged it into my non-Retina MBP (running Mavericks) - it works consistently without issue
  • Wiggled the connectors a bit to see if it would connect
  • Tried a different port on the switch
  • Tried a different switch
  • Tried a different Ethernet cable
  • Tried both Thunderbolt ports on the MBP Retina
  • Removed NetworkInterfaces.plist and rebooted
  • Removed the adapter in System Preferences -> Network then re-added
  • Tried this: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5484290. After making this change, the adapter started working for a short while (as described in my original post). Subsequent attempts did not work.

Thank you again for your help!

Thunderbolt ethernet does not connect when plugged in.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.