Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Extended (Case-sentive, journaled) vs. Mac OS Extended (Case-sentive, Journaled, Encrypted)

What are the difference in these two formats? Anyone know? I have a 1TB hard drive I bought and I don't know which one to select. I know I will be saving files over 4gb and will be using both Mac & PC platforms.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 7:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 8:55 AM

I guess my real question is the difference between all four of the following options: Mac OS Extended, Mac OS Extended (Journaled), Mac OS (Case-sensitive), and Mac OS (Case-sensitive, Journaled) when reformatting an external hard drive?

I know that Mac OS (FAT) is compatible with both PC and Mac platforms, however, there's a limit to trasnferring files to 4GB.

I just would like to know if there are other alternatives. I came to learn that Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and Mac OS Extended. The format that we chose, 'to Journal or not to Journal' depends on what the drive will be used for. If you are going to use the drive as a system or 'boot' drive, with the Mac OS on it, then you would want to select 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)'. If you will be using the drive as a media or 'scratch' drive, for video editing, then you would select Mac OS Extended, journaled not selected, as the journaling process slows down the write speed performance of the drive.

Journaling was developed primarily for Mac servers to protect the integrity of the disk Directories and file systems. Journaling is a process whereby the Mac OS keeps an eye on what you are doing while you work, it keeps a journal, keeping track of changes you have made to your files . If your Mac should go down, due to, for example, a power outage, when you restart your Mac, the Mac OS will check the journal and will perform a consistency check on the drive's directories and file structure. It will also attempt to restore any unsaved documents that you were working on at the time of the power failure.

Now that leaves me to Mac OS (Case-sensitive) vs. Mac OS (Case-sensitive, Journaled)? Any advice?

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2012 8:55 AM in response to Camelot

I guess my real question is the difference between all four of the following options: Mac OS Extended, Mac OS Extended (Journaled), Mac OS (Case-sensitive), and Mac OS (Case-sensitive, Journaled) when reformatting an external hard drive?

I know that Mac OS (FAT) is compatible with both PC and Mac platforms, however, there's a limit to trasnferring files to 4GB.

I just would like to know if there are other alternatives. I came to learn that Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and Mac OS Extended. The format that we chose, 'to Journal or not to Journal' depends on what the drive will be used for. If you are going to use the drive as a system or 'boot' drive, with the Mac OS on it, then you would want to select 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)'. If you will be using the drive as a media or 'scratch' drive, for video editing, then you would select Mac OS Extended, journaled not selected, as the journaling process slows down the write speed performance of the drive.

Journaling was developed primarily for Mac servers to protect the integrity of the disk Directories and file systems. Journaling is a process whereby the Mac OS keeps an eye on what you are doing while you work, it keeps a journal, keeping track of changes you have made to your files . If your Mac should go down, due to, for example, a power outage, when you restart your Mac, the Mac OS will check the journal and will perform a consistency check on the drive's directories and file structure. It will also attempt to restore any unsaved documents that you were working on at the time of the power failure.

Now that leaves me to Mac OS (Case-sensitive) vs. Mac OS (Case-sensitive, Journaled)? Any advice?

Dec 16, 2012 7:32 PM in response to Camelot

Case sensitive allows files of the same name but some difference in letter case to be in the same directory ("folder"). The standard format from Apple is not case sensitive.

For example, in the standard format, "Mac OS Extended (journaled)", a file named "filename.txt" would be identified exactly the same as "fileName.txt" so the two must be in different directories. With the "case sensitive" format, they are seen as different files. Some third-party applications are not designed for the case sensitive format so they may not always perform correctly. Unless you have a pressing need to save or locate files based on letter case, stick with the non-case sensitive option.

You can verify which format has been used with your drive volume (that means a drive or a partition of a drive), by selecting it in a Finder window and apply the "Get Info" command, such as command + I or File > Get Info. The format type is listed in that Info window under "General".

Hope this answers your question.

Sep 7, 2012 8:59 PM in response to mllymel

The direct answer to your question is that one is encrypted and the other is not.

As others have mentioned, though, neither is ideal for working in a cross-platform environment since Windows systems can't read Mac OS Extended volumes without third-party software. If you want to get that software then go ahead, otherwise you'll need to dumb down your options and stick with ExFAT, which is the better cross-platform format.

Sep 8, 2012 11:00 AM in response to mllymel

The upshot, as previously mentioned, is that none of the Mac OS Extended verisons, whether journaled, case-sensitive, encrypted or not, will work on a Windows machine without additional software. Windows just doesn't natively read Mac OS Extended volumes.

Right, but no one, at least not I, suggested using FAT. FAT has little place in modern disks, it's mostly used for legacy reasons, and for small volumes (such as flash drives). I recommended using ExFAT, which is an option in Mountain Lion.

User uploaded file

This is an extended version of FAT that is cross-platform compatible and avoids many of the limitations of FAT - at least as far as file sizes and disk sizes are concerned.

Sep 6, 2013 7:52 AM in response to Allan Eckert

I am having exactly that problem with rebuilding iPhoto libraries that aren't functioning properly. I was advised to change my external drive's format from Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled) to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and check the button for "Ignore ownership on this volume."

My external drive already has on it my Time Machine backups and my iPhoto library backups (which I need to keep till I get my issues with that application resolved).

Looking at Disk Utility, it seems that changing the format of the drive would erase my data. Is that so? The iPhoto files are too big for my hard drive, so this would mean I would have to purchase another external drive to save my data.

Sep 6, 2013 8:04 AM in response to AFromVT

Yes, reformatting the drive will erase the data.

I strongly recommend the Case-Sensitive not be used.

I strongly recommend that Time Machine and your data not be stored on the same drive.

I strongly recommend a disk for Time Machine and another for your photos.

You really should start your own thread rather then tagging on to a thread that has been dead now since last year. Probably the only reason I even saw this was because I posted it on prior so it popped up for me to view.

Allan

Sep 7, 2013 2:09 AM in response to AFromVT

AFromVT wrote:

. . .

My external drive already has on it my Time Machine backups

That's the single exception. If you let Time Machine format a backup drive, it will use case-sensitive, just as it will make a case-sensitive sparse bundle disk image for a network backup.

The apparent reason is, if the backups are case-ignorant, and at a later date you decide to add a case-sensitive drive to your system and want Time Machine to back it up, too . . . it can't. But if the backups are case-sensitive, it can.

99.9% of the time, there's no problem with that. See #E7 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting for the exception.

Bottom line -- if you ever have to get a new drive and start over, use case-ignorant. But you won't be able to copy the case-sensitive backup set to a new TM drive and continue backing-up to it. You can, however, still access the old backups via the Browse Other Backup Disks option, per #E2 in the above link.

Jan 8, 2015 2:06 AM in response to mllymel

Mac OS Extended Journaled is a format used in mac for example using the drive or disk for time machine backup, where is encrypted version means is password protected and this key will be needed for decrypting hence your data will be safe. By the way none of these versions can be used on a windows, and why would you need case sensitive journaled ?

Hope it helps 🙂

Mac OS Extended (Case-sentive, journaled) vs. Mac OS Extended (Case-sentive, Journaled, Encrypted)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.