Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

change primary icloud account

How does one change the primary iCloud account on a desktop Mac. I have changed the appleID of the primary user successfully, but there seems to be no way to change the primary iCloud account.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 7:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 10:42 AM

The answer is here

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4024500

Simply:

1. back up Calendar and Address book if you haven't recently

2. open System Prefs on your desktop Mac

3. open iCloud

4. on the left side, click SIGN OUT

5. say yes to the three alerts (it will delete your calendar and address book info, which will be restored once you sign in again.

6. sign in again using the primary account you want

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2014 10:42 AM in response to jwisor

The answer is here

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4024500

Simply:

1. back up Calendar and Address book if you haven't recently

2. open System Prefs on your desktop Mac

3. open iCloud

4. on the left side, click SIGN OUT

5. say yes to the three alerts (it will delete your calendar and address book info, which will be restored once you sign in again.

6. sign in again using the primary account you want

Dec 30, 2016 9:59 AM in response to gkgraphics

My current iTunes and iCloud email being used on my Mac is not my primary in settings. An original and old email that I no longer use is still the primary.

When I try to hit the - (minus) sign to delete that account, it keeps telling me to turn off all other iCloud accounts first.

I just am trying to make the new email the primary account. Why is it so **** complicated APPLE!!!

Please help...

change primary icloud account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.