Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

aggregate device issues in ML

Hello

I am finding that there are new bugs in the core audio aggregate device in Mountain Lion

One concern is that the new way that the aggregate device is built does not allow you to change the order of the interfaces in the aggregate device. That said, Logic does not allow you to adjust what the "stereo out" pair is, so now logic defaults to the wrong outputs from the get go.

Logic, btw, coudl lean a lot about I/O naming for the hardware from the way MOTU Digital Performer does it. They have a naming grid that is flexible, works great, and my naming continued to work from the previous OS to Mountain Lion even though the interfaces in the aggregate device are now listed in a different order than they were before.

Also, of similar importance is the fact that there are issues and a breakdown of the aggregate device when running at the 96k sample rate. It works "ok" at 44.1, but fails at the higher sample rate. Seems to be a weirdness surrounding the clocking.

Of note is that there is now crackling when listening to audio directly through the hardware now, and this used to work fine in Lion. I understand that the manufacturer of my audio interfaces has been in touch with Apple and that something with the core audio buffering is the culprit.

I've been in regular contact with the audio hardware and software folks, but some of this comes back to Apple. Maybe I count as a power user by actually taking advantage of the core audio aggregate device that they have had for a few OS's now, but I really need this to work. It has recently been broken, and the change in how the aggregate device orders the interfaces makes it sort of impossible to use Logic as the wrong outputs are unchangeably set as the "stereo outs". While I will continue to work with the manufacturers on this, mostly action on Apple's part is needed to get new bugs in the core audio aggregate device fixed. (and allow Logic users to select the stereo out, not just default it to the first two outs on the first interface)

Any help, and quickly, most appreciated.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 20 gigs ram, 8 TB HD,

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 5:53 AM

30 replies

Jan 30, 2013 5:40 AM in response to Paul Kavicky

I just installed Mountain Lion on a backup laptop to take on tour and discovered that my aggregate device now has my two MOTUs in the wrong order. This is a showstopper problem as I'm not in a position to reconfigure my software to deal with this in an emergency situation. Is there a work around other tan reverting back to Lion?

Jan 30, 2013 6:42 AM in response to dhjdhj

Yes, that's exactly the issue.

Weird that Mountain Lion broke the aggregate device in this way.

Only chiming in to say that you have described another example of how the broken aggregate audio device in Mountain Lion is a very big issue for pro audio folks. It's killing me here, and I effectively can't use logic as a result.

I'm unaware of a workaround other than going back to Lion or better yet Snow Leopard.

Apple really needs to fix this quickly. This is literally a show stopper.

Feb 22, 2013 3:15 PM in response to Paul Kavicky

Please fix this, Apple! The aggregate device is essential to my recording studio. It must work at 96kHz and above. I have been expreriencing exactly these same issues. Of note:

The broken ordering of I/O placements is new to Mountain Lion.

The other broken aggregate device features Mr. Kavicky described have been present at least since OS 10.7.5.

These truly are showstoppers, and have caused great embarassment including painful pops, clicks, and dropouts during important sessions.

aggregate device issues in ML

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.