Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Built-in dictionary missing after IOS 6 update

Hello I've installed the new IOS 6 but where is the dictionary built -in? It's disappeared completely. How can I have it back? I really need it. Please help me

iPod touch, Windows Vista

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 5:53 AM

49 replies

Sep 24, 2012 7:29 AM in response to falbala

Mine too. In Japan, if your phone was in English setting the dictionary would provide an English translation of a Japanese word when you selected "define" (and vice versa) This translation is totally gone in iOS6. On my phone I never (and still dont have) a download dictionary feature after tapping define.

Why remove functionality?? ..it doesn't make sense 😟

Sep 25, 2012 7:49 PM in response to falbala

Go to Settings / General / International and set the language to "British English". Exit settings and highlight a word. The "define" option should be displayed. Once you select define, iOS will prompt you to download the dictionary. Let it finish the download completely--don't hit the "Done" button. This is a workaround, but it's better than nothing.

Sep 26, 2012 4:59 AM in response to _Jake_

What language are you attempting to use the dictionary in btw? I tried this technique & it downloaded the British English dictionary fine but it appears to more an issue of integration now.

My 4s still refuses to translate Japanese - English (tho it does work E -> J). I think I'm going to have to go to an Apple store & annoy them directly. This is a big issue for me, so far iOS6 has given me nothing but headaches due to their maps in Japan being a total joke, and now this. iOS6 has only reduced my phones effectiveness & usability.

Built-in dictionary missing after IOS 6 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.