Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the performance of iOS 6 on iPhone 4 slower than iOS 5?

Is the performance of iOS 6 slower than iOS 5 on iPhone 4 (GSM) ?

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1, 32GB Black

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 7:50 AM

33 replies

Sep 21, 2012 11:18 PM in response to sachintha

Could you please leave more feedback because I'm not sure should I upgrade or wait. My concern is - there was bad experience with iPhone 3 back in the days when upgrade to next iOS made it basically unusable. I have an iPhone 4 (without "S"). If you have same phone and upgraded to iOS 6 could you please share your experience?

Sep 24, 2012 6:51 AM in response to sachintha

For the most part, it looks the same BUT I am noticing a couple of games that used to be smooth now appear to be stuttery. Whether or not it is iOS 6, or whether it is a coincidence, I don't know. Both Where's My Water? and Bubble Burst seem to have performance issues on my iPhone 4...

Would be interested to hear other's opinions.

Sep 24, 2012 5:47 PM in response to sachintha

my battery may be draining slightly faster, i can't say for sure; right now i'm at 1hr6mn usage and 15hr20mn usage and the battery is at 89%. the phone is not slower for sure and today when i had full bars it seemed faster. the maps app is fine where i live but obviously it has problems elsewhere and i wish it has mass transit for when i travel. i haven't had any wifi issues at all and games seem to be fine as well, i just tested some before posting this.

Sep 25, 2012 10:24 AM in response to sachintha

I haven't upgraded after a visit to my local Apple store. On playing with the iPhone 5, I found Safari to be very slow so I logged on to their wifi on my 4s running 5.1.1 and loaded the same uncashed webpage on both. iPhone 5 18 seconds and my 4s 8.5!

Hmm, I then tried the same with 2 other 5s, exactly the same. Next I tried a demo 4s running 5.1.1 and it was he same as mine.

Lastly, today I tried a friend's 4s running ios6 and it was way slower than the iPhone 5s in the Apple store.

Conclusion? Keep away from ios 6 for now.

Sep 25, 2012 10:06 PM in response to alexanderfromsan diego

Alexander, I had that same problem with the G upgrade to 4.0. Made my phone almost unusable. So I was also afraid. But I bit the bullet and did it anyway and this time, its fine. However, it really doesn't add much. If you like the google maps, which are superior to the apple ones, I'd skip the upgrade. Because other than changing maps, the rest is fluff. Posting to facebook and twitter/sending pictures to both is easier, granted, but its not like its that tough to do on the 5.1. And then there's the "do not disturb", which I really wanted because I work nights. But if those things don't matter to you, there's really no point to the upgrade on the 4. Nothing else of any significance really changes.

Is the performance of iOS 6 on iPhone 4 slower than iOS 5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.