Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP laserjet printer P1102W not allowing to connect to mac OS 10.8

i recently purchased an HP laserjet printer P1102W and am having issues connecting to my mountain lion macbook pro. any suggestions?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 13"

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 2:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 2:27 PM

How are you connecting, USB or Network, if Network, wireless or cabled.

18 replies

Nov 15, 2012 3:17 PM in response to crimsonblue92

have same problem. USB is OK but wireless will not work. First installed under lion. first HP tech could not make it work Second HP tech sent me a new printer and third tech spent at least 1 hour on the phone with me and we finally got it to work. Then I upgraded to Mountain Lion and I am back to same Problem USB works fine but wireless will not work. I purcjhased it because i wanted wireless. I give up. Prints great with USB

Jan 27, 2013 11:57 AM in response to crimsonblue92

I had a very difficult time getting the P1102W working wirelessly on a macbook pro with Mountain Lion, however I finally got it to work after countless hours of troubleshooting. I was able to successfully connect the printer to my wireless network WITHOUT having to perform an Ad Hoc wireless first as HP suggests in their support forums.

Here are the steps as accurately as I can remember:

1) Turn the printer off

2) Press and hold both the wireless and the cancel button, and then turn the product on

3) Hold the buttons until all the lights blink in unison, and then release the buttons.

4) Connect printer using USB cable & power on.

5) Check for apple software update from the App store. It will find and install an update for HP printers

6) Download and install the full software from HP, including the firmware update. here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=bi-80684-8 &cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=219&product=4110396&sw_lang=

7) Open System Presferences in Mounatin Lion, select Print & Scan.

8) Make sure the P1102W printer is selected and Open Print Queue

9) Click Settings, then click Utility, then Open Printer Utility

10) Select Configuration page. This will bring up Safari and displays the printer's settings and this is where you can change the configuration.

From this point, whenever I made changes to the netowrking configuration using Safari and clicked Apply, the changes would not "stick", no matter how many times I tried. So, I thought it may be an incompatability with Safari, and sure enough it was. I downloaded Google's Chrome browser, pasted http://localhost:5050/SSI/Auth/ip_direct_print.htm into the address bar and hit return on the keyboard. The changes I made using Chrome applied successfully and I connected to my home's wireless.

Specifically:

11) Paste http://localhost:5050/SSI/Auth/ip_direct_print.htm into Chrome and hit return on the keyboard. It will load the printer Config page.

12) You may already be under Wireless Direct Setup, if not, select Networking, then Wireless Direct Setup.

13) Select your network name, use the << button to move it over to the other window.

14) For Authentication, selecte watever your network uses (propably WPA2) and enter password. Apply.

You will see the Blue light on the top of the printer turn on, flash and then go solid.

15) Disconnect the USB cable

You can now print wirelessly from your Mac, ipad or iphone running IOS5 or 6.

I hope that helps compensate for HP's lack of support using Mountain Lion.

Apr 12, 2013 11:42 AM in response to markbar7

Mark --

I am wrestling with the same problem discussed in this thread. I have followed all the instructions you have provided up to the following:

8) Make sure the P1102W printer is selected and Open Print Queue

9) Click Settings, then click Utility, then Open Printer Utility

10) Select Configuration page. This will bring up Safari and displays the printer's settings and this is where you can change the configuration.

I am using OS X 10.8.3, but when I click settings (as in step 9) neither of the two tabs in the resulting window is "open printer utility" as you specify (see below).User uploaded file

So I could not get past that point. No amount of exploration could produce access to what you refer tol as "printer settings" or "printer configuration". Could you please comment?

Nonetheless, I then skipped over the subsequent steps and went to step 11. There the URL you provide,

http://localhost:5050/SSI/Auth/ip_direct_print.htm in my interpretation points to a file (ip_direct_print.htm) that resides on your local machine. Not surprisingly, in my interpretation, none of my browsers could find it because evidently my installation process (following your steps 1- 7) did not produce a Config page on my machine.

Clearly I'm not getting something here, and would appreciate whatever help you can provide to allow me to use my new HP1102w wirelessly.

Apr 15, 2013 9:41 AM in response to norman.chonacky

HI Norman. I experienced the same issue, as have others. See below:

justprintingaround 4 days ago

If the utility tab is not showing, go to system preferences and remove the printer. Go to HP .com (link below) and download the latest drivers. Ignore any firmware update alerts. Finish the install. Go back to system preferences and click the plus sign to add the printer. Find the "P1102w" printer in the drop down menu. Under "Print using", select P1100w 5.0. Now you should have the utility option available, and can follow along with the rest of the video.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=219&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw _lang=&product=4110396#N191

User uploaded file

There is also a youtube video now on how to do to install the printer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c972ybZvZzo&noredirect=1

Hope that helps!

Jun 23, 2013 8:25 AM in response to markbar7

Hi! Your instructions have been VERY helpful! I am having the same issue with wireless setup of the P1102w, Lion, etc. that everyone else seems to have. I followed your instructions above including downloading Chrome so that I could configure the wireless. The blue wireless light on my printer is lit (not blinking) and now I can print from my iPhone - a step in the right direction. But I can't print from my Mac desktop. The printer icon in the dock has a yellow symbol on it. If I connect the desktop to the printer USB I can print just fine...but leaving the printer connected via USB isn't an option. I tried to look at the HP instructions link you provided but couldn't find anything to help. I am not a "tech" person and this is by far my most complicated venutre yet. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!!

SLM

Jun 25, 2013 10:18 AM in response to crimsonblue92

I've set up at least 4 HPs wirelessly and every install seems to be done differently. Yesterday, I set up my P1102w using Mountain Lion. Couple of key points.

1. Unlike previous DeskJets and All in Ones, my P1102w did not broadcast an hpsetup SSID wirelessly. Consequently, the wireless blue light blinked constantly as I tried to make a wireless connect to configure it. Don't bother. Get the USB cable out.
  2. Once I connected the P1102w via USB, I was able to add the printer in System Preferences >> Print & Scan. I navigated to the Printer's webpage and was able to go into the Networking tab and set the printer up in my wireless network.
  3. I powered the printer down and moved it to its new home. It takes a couple of minutes (seriously like 5 or so minutes) for the printer to reconnect to the wireless network after being powered down. I've never seen a device take so long to reconnect to a network.
  4. For SherrifromCT...when you add the printer via USB to make the initial wireless configuration, you need to delete the printer and go back in to add it via Bonjour. When you add a printer via USB, the printer icon in Print & Scan is set to use the USB drivers so it won't go to the wireless network. If you can print from your iPhone, you shouldn't have a problem deleting the printer and then adding it wirelessly.

It's pretty ridiculous that HP used to allow you to configure a printer wirelessly via an ad hoc wireless connection (hpsetup) but have "improved" the configuration which essentially requires a USB connection.

Aug 9, 2013 11:15 PM in response to markbar7

Thanks a lot Markbar7 I had been struggling with the printer for several months, and printing only usb way. My problema was the Safari problem, as soon as I moved to Chrome i had it working, it´s incredible that HP cant get it right, if they say it´s Mac compatible tey should include Dafari. Anyways. Thanks a lot!!!

HP laserjet printer P1102W not allowing to connect to mac OS 10.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.