Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages disappearing after upgrade to iOS 6

After I updated my iPhone 4s to iOS6 I noticed that messages and complete threads are disappearing when I open them in the Messages App. These Messages are sms based messages from different companies identified by a name, not a number, typically messages from the bank, coupons and membership details from different customer clubs etc. I can see the text in the preview, but as soon as I open the message/thread all content is gone, and the empty thread moves to the bottom of the list.

Has anyone else had this experience? Is there any fix for this?

Tried the same on an iPhone 4 with the same result.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 5:34 AM

43 replies

Sep 22, 2012 3:29 AM in response to kyrretamber

Same here. I agree, this happens only to service messages: mobile tans, provider infos, blah. But let's be thankful that our messages are still there, they just disappear. I just don't know why because in that database file they are handled just like normal messages.

Amazing as always, Apple. The important basic features are messed up, but that's no problem as long as there's a working Crapbook integration. I wonder what they did in the beta testing phase, adjusting wallpapers and ringtones?

Happy weekend to all.

Sep 22, 2012 4:59 AM in response to kyrretamber

Hi

I am also facing same problem and when I called up Apple Support in India and spoke to so called senior technician Mr Kartik he response was that such things happen with any new software.

So this is my take on this goof up by Apple - for a device which costs Rs 44500/- in India you **** not make such stupid mistakes.

What were you doing in beta testing listening to songs or playing games - iOS6 first your maps are crap and secondaly basic functionality of sms management is big task for you. Please fix this problem or you will have one less loyal customer.

All system or other messages from Banks / Financial Institutions / websites show up in Message app but when you open any message it is blank and then it goes down to bottom of list.

Is this such a major task or you were racing with Google to just get OS out.

Sep 22, 2012 5:16 AM in response to kyrretamber

I am also facing the same problem…I upgraded my iPhone 4 from iOS 5.1.1 to iOS 6 and that is when I started disliking it.. Most of the things of changed and creating problems. The maps don’t work as they are suppose to work. The major problem that i am facing is with my messages. I can see the messages in the preview but when I try to read them and open them it becomes blank. And when I go back the message is not there .. But if I turn the phone on and off it shows the message back in preview but then again the same thing happens... plz if some one can help me out with this.. or help me to rollback to iOS 5.1.1 I loved it ...

Sep 22, 2012 6:02 AM in response to kyrretamber

As I already told, your previously received messages won't show up again and I'm pretty sure Apple won't fix this. Sad but true, Apple doesn't care much if a lot of people lose data or not. Remember the buggy iCloud roll out last year without any instructions except: Here is it, use it.

So they won't provide an update that combines the different chat handles in the message database we have now.

You can access and view the disappeared messages via iExplorer or similar tools because they are still there. But seeing them again on your phone, no way, they're gone.

And what I hate the most is, we cannot delete them because we cannot access them. They will stay on our phones until we restore and set them up as new phones.

I really like Apple's logic behind everything. I mean, Photostream is downsizing photos because of memory reasons and to keep things tight, but it's okay to have completely messed up database files containing thousands of orphaned rows.

Right now I hate everything. I wish I never upgraded because I expected this crap to start.

Sep 22, 2012 10:41 PM in response to kyrretamber

I am very sure that I will not allow them to walk away doing this nonsense and take them to court for what ever verdict and resolution it may provide.

I was told by technician that maps will not be fixed and they are for USA ONLY thats not very smart answer mr techinican and if that is so why is apple selling their product in India. I am trying to downgrade the iOS and I am pretty sure that it will be possible.

To be told that Fool you have purchased expensive toy but it is not made for India is like slap on your face !!!!.

Sep 23, 2012 2:45 AM in response to Mariam N

1. Download the correct iExplorer version for your computer.

2. Do not ask where to download. I know you can find it by your own.

3. Install iExplorer.

4. Connect your iPhone to your computer.

5. Make sure there's a backup cuz iExplorer reads the iPhone's backup files.

6. Run iExplorer. Aaaaand yes, click on "Continue in Demo Mode".

7. Click on Messages.

8. Tada. There are the messages you can't see on your iPhone.

Sep 23, 2012 10:10 PM in response to kyrretamber

Same here. Upgraded to iOS 6 via the phone itself (OTA). Messages mostly from banks and/or coupon services are disappearing when I try to open the threads with them. Thread becomes empty and moves to the bottom of the thread list, even the preview becomes empty. After I close and reopen the Messages app, those threads show previews again, but exactly until I try to go into them once more.

Tried full factory reset via iTunes, with latest backup restore as next step (thought that fully reinstalled firmware/software might help). No success.

This is very, VERY annoying.

Apple, any fix?

Messages disappearing after upgrade to iOS 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.