Previous 1 2 3 Next 612 Replies Latest reply: Aug 22, 2015 1:45 PM by Bucerias_life
omsterathome Level 1 (0 points)

I picked up my Verizon iPhone 5 today. When it's on 3G ill have full signal (5 bars) and the Internet works great. When I go into settings & change to LTE my signal will drop down to 2 bars. And this consistently happens in different cities. Why is this? Does anyone else notice this on their iphone 5? I tried resetting and turning the phone off and on and still same problem. It even goes as bad as 1 bar of reception on lte.

Thanks

iPhone 5, iOS 6
  • GabeZs Level 2 (225 points)

I suppose it depends on what carrier you're using. I'm going to assume it's Verizon.  If so, they are still working on their LTE network, so there are going to be reception and quality issues.

• omsterathome Level 1 (0 points)

I don't think it's the carrier. Maybe the LTE antenna or something because I have a friend next to me with an LTE phone on Verizon as well he has excellent reception. And I notice anytime I have good signal and turn on the LTE the reception immediately drops. Doesn't want to stay strong.

• Alive_84 Level 1 (0 points)

I have the same problem too. I'm at home using on wifi and the reception constantly drops to two bars. Never happened to my iphone 4.

• Ricky7780 Level 1 (0 points)

My Verizon iphone5 does the same thing. My wife's iPhone 4 will have 4 3G bars and ill have one. But jumps to 4 then 3-2. In other areas at a standstill it'll jump from 3G 1 bar to lte 1-3 bars to roaming. I hope there is no prob with the antenna.

• iRob 2.0 Level 1 (20 points)

Count me as someone with the same issue.  I live in New Jersey, an area confirmed for 4G coverage, and I only get 1 to 2 bars at best.  When I turn off LTE, all of my bars return.  While at home it doesn't matter, I have my wifi going, but out and about, I expect 4G speeds.  Not sure if it's apple's issue or Verizon as I've never owned a 4G phone before.

• Eric ottawa Level 1 (0 points)

Same problem here. Lte comes in but not for long switches to 3G and down to one bar Ottawa Canada on bell network

Something else I realize is that when you toggle the "enable LTE". It doesn't always work, you have to do it maybe 3-4 times before it switched the antenna and says LTE at the top.

• alihuta2002 Level 1 (0 points)

I have the same problem too and I'm with Rogers (Canada)

They did swap my sim card and the problem still exist, and now they are asking me to go to the Apple Store and replace it with a new phone.

• Rocc805 Level 1 (0 points)

Does your friend have the same problem with enabling LTE? I have the same problem. I think we just to wait till everything cools down. I dont think theres anything wrong with the phone.

• davosborne Level 1 (0 points)

I have reception issue with my phone in Vancouver Canada (Bell Network). Old blackberry has 4 bars, new iphone 5 has 1 bar or no service. Possible issues with Antenna - Apple said to go to Apple store and they will test phone or replace it.

I just found something out as well. Take off your case if you have one. Then with lte turned on, wrap your hands around the phone in a death grip and it'll lose signal and lte drops off. Then when you release the signal doesn't go back to lte. Seems like this new iphone has a screwed up antenna. Tried this with my uncles 4s on the same network, his signal didn't move at all, very consistent.

• Rocc805 Level 1 (0 points)

Wow really? Ill have to try that. So unfortunate since its such a nice phone. I hope this is a software issue but for now I might actually return it. I saw some people on youtube with the phone and they had full bars on Verizon's network.

• alihuta2002 Level 1 (0 points)

I just have my replace right now I'm going to check if this resolve my problem

• StudioGeek Level 1 (40 points)

Also, if you are connected to wifi it will not say LTE. I thought my LTE wasn't working.

Previous 1 2 3 Next