Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage Activation on iOS 6 in UAE - not working anymore

I have a Canadian iPhone 4S and live in the UAE. After the iOS 6 update it is not possible to activate iMessage (stuck with "Waiting for activation...")! It was working fine before on iOS 5. Also I can't login with my UAE Apple ID for additional "Send & Receive" email addresses (Apple IDs from other countries are working).

I tried all work-arounds described in serveral forums. The only thing what I didn't try is switching my UAE Apple ID to another country as described by other users before. When I try to do it I'm getting an iTunes 5002 error and it doesn't let me switch the ID to another country.

Now I am using temporarly my old Canadian Apple ID for iMessage. At least I can send some iMessages with my old Apple email address. But the activation for my phone number is also here not working.

I have a strange feeling that +971 are blocked for iMessage activation on iOS 6...

Would be great to read some more user experiences about iMessage activation on iOS 6 in UAE!

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 3:04 AM

34 replies

Sep 23, 2012 9:26 AM in response to The Desert Fox

I have a du SIM card. And iMessage and FaceTime both get activated using the apple ID as well as the phone number. My apple ID is linked to the US store. When I use my etisalat number, FaceTime and iMessage get stuck on waiting for activation and FaceTime and iMessage work only with the apple ID. I called etisalat also, but no reply yet from them.

Sep 24, 2012 9:59 PM in response to The Desert Fox

What we know so far:

• DON'T DEACTIVATE iMessage cause you can't activate it anymore!
  • iMessage is still activated and working for SOME USERS after updating to iOS 6 (if it was activated before the update)
  • Activating with an IP from another country doesn't work
  • Changing the country of the Apple ID doesn't work (some users say I did but I can't confirm)
  • Using an Apple ID from another country doesn't work
  • Some users report they can activate with du (no confirmation on this)

It looks like Etisalat is blocking the activation SMS iOS is sending out to a UK number in order to activate the your number to the iMessage service. Not confirmed but everything looks like that...

iMessage Activation on iOS 6 in UAE - not working anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.