Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 Waterproof??

Leading up to the 5's launch, I was reading that the iPhone 5 might be waterproof. I got my 5 on Friday and unfortunately dropped it into a tub of water yesterday. I'm talking full submersion. Thankfully, it is still working with 100% functionality. Did they end up making the 5 waterproof because I thought my phone had no chance of survival when it happened and am very surprised that it's alive.

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 8:49 AM

71 replies

Feb 17, 2017 2:17 PM in response to AndrewMcKee517

AndrewMcKee517 wrote:

I dropped mine in water just because I got a new iPhone 6 Plus. It works! Honest to god. When I seen it works I tried making a call and earphone and speakerphone works.

Yes, it may. However, if the phone got wet and you turned it on, you significantly increased the likelihood that it won't work for much longer. Turn it off, place it someplace warm and dry and leave it for several days.

Sep 26, 2012 3:20 PM in response to TheFranchise84

There were rumors of the iPhone 5 possibly being waterproof at launch, based off of a company called "Hz0" that has a technology capable of waterproofing electronics. Obviously they didn't announce anything with the 5 that relates to that, however - it could be that Apple has decided to do it behind the scenes, and not advertise it as a feature. This would be a smart move to let the consumer gradually realize that it holds up a LOT better when it's been in contact with water, while avoiding the legal responsibility they would assume if they advertised even "water resistant" as a feature.

Glad your iPhone made it through! Still be super careful around water. Here are a few links you can check out!

Water Resistance Test (Scroll to 1:10)

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-apple-iphone-5-samsung-galax y-s3-water-20120925,0,7227890.story

Hz0 at CES

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1309198

Nov 5, 2012 9:41 PM in response to clairenyc13

You guys are very lucky. Most are not so fortunate. The iPhone 5 failed other tests when submerged for 15 seconds. Yes, the Youtube videos show the video running in the tests but the next day, the device was dead.

Just to show you how things look inside after it gets wet, have a look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYMdwZHPQrw

You also can only get Apple Care this way:

How to get AppleCare+

• Add it to your shopping cart during the checkout process when you purchase your new iPhone.
  • Buy it within 30 days of your iPhone purchase at Apple Retail (requires inspection of the iPhone & & proof of purchase). Your iPhone purchase date is the date we ship and charge you for your order.

Feb 18, 2013 9:09 AM in response to TheFranchise84

I have dropped my Iphone5 in both a deep puddle and a hot tub. Both times it came out completely fine and has worked flawlessly since. I am an engineer and I can tell you that this was not just dumb luck. My phone should of died. Something is definitely up. I totally agree with Appleholicsabs that apple has implemented a new technology and not told anyone. From a business perspective it would be a total mistake to tell anyone that the Iphone 5 is waterproof. Apple is going about it the right way and just not telling anyone. While it may not be 100% waterproof for extended periods of time, I will bet that they just got rid of 95% of their annual repairs due to water damage. In the course of doing this they also have made a ton of happy and amazed Iphone 5 owners like myself. Way to go Apple!!! Putting the customer needs first always makes for a better product.

Feb 18, 2013 10:54 AM in response to TheFranchise84

Yes the company I was referring to is Liquipel. While

Here is the link I was reading. http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/252525252520piarco%20/t-1463048.ht ml The video in this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQryQ3o3hi0 is pretty funny but really mimicks my experience with respect to submerging in room temp water. The part of putting it in boiling water is just insane and is just a completely unrealistic test.

It makes far too much business sense not to make this problem a priority for Apple. Annually the number of Iphones (and other brands) destroyed by accidental submersion in water must be very far in to the millions. This causes a lot of distraught customers irregardless of the fact it was their fault. I see a lot of other people on the web having similiar experiences with Iphone 5's. By solving this problem Apple has a lot more happy and thankful customers.

While I feel very lucky that my phone survived, in no way do I think this was luck. The phone should of short circuited. I do think Apple has implemented some technology that may work for 5-10 seconds or more. That just may be the cure for 90% of the accidental submersions like mine. Deggie asked what type of engineer - I am a mechanical engineer.

Mar 27, 2013 11:18 AM in response to TheFranchise84

Well the 5 is definitely not waterproof. I went for a hike to the mountains, not raining but damp. I took a bunch of photos using the phone, came home and the phone spazzed out and the main home button died. I took it in as its under warranty and guess what, it doesn't cover moisture damage. I live in Oregon. Its always raining here. I should be able to go outside and make a phone call. I'm not talking a torrential downpour, I'm talking damp, drizzly, weather. I don't feel that I should have to buy an expensive bulky waterproof case for my phone. Why can't apple make a somewhat moistureproof phone from the inside out. They can do everything else, how hard can it be?? I'm sick of this.

Mar 27, 2013 11:25 AM in response to Musicfan62

I live in Oregon. So do thousands of other apple iphone users. We live in the rain 9 months of the year. We need a phone thats waterproof or water resistant. I can't make a call outside, even in drizzly weather. I can't take a nice photo in the woods if its damp. I took the phone on a hike, It was in a gortex jacket pocket. I took it out a dozen times to take beautiful photos. It was drizzing, not a downpour. My phones home button died, still dead. Not covered by waranty. I still use the phone on the accessibility touch screen but its a pain in the butt. How hard can it be to make the iphone 5s somewhat water resistant. Apple just doesn't seem to give a crap. Canada, American northwest, Southeast coast of Australia, practically the whole of europe, just to name a few damp places. Thats a lot of people having the same problem as me. If the samsung people made a waterproof phone, I'd switch immediately. Someone needs to get on the ball here. I don't see why I should have to buy a bulky, expensive waterproof case.

iPhone 5 Waterproof??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.