Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail wont accept yahoo password

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 4:17 PM

20 replies

Jan 6, 2017 3:11 AM in response to brentlacher

OMG, I was frustrating myself with these suggestions for hours. Apparently this was my problem:

User uploaded file

Your account is currently not enabled to sign in from apps, that do not meet modern security standards (ex. Older versions of mail and calendar apps such as Outlook). As a result, we prevented a sign in to your Yahoo account

User uploaded file

We strongly recommend that you switch to Yahoo's apps such as Yahoo Mail on desktop and mobile and remove your account from all other less secure apps.

User uploaded file

If you still want to use an app that uses less secure sign in, go to

https://login.yahoo.com/account/security#other-apps and turn on "Allow apps that use less secure sign in". This is not recommended and may leave your account more vulnerable to compromise. To learn more, please visit our help page: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/account/SLN27791.html

User uploaded file

Yahoo blocked this sign in attempt, but if it looks suspicious to you or it’s not from an application that you’re using, go to

https://login.yahoo.com/account/change-passwordand change the password for your account.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Sincerely,

Yahoo

Jul 16, 2017 4:48 PM in response to brentlacher

I got the following message from Yahoo when I tried to login on my iPad and iphone:

Your account is currently not enabled to sign in from apps that do not meet modern security standards (ex. Older versions of mail and calendar apps such as Outlook). As a result, we prevented a sign in to your Yahoo account

We strongly recommend that you switch to Yahoo's apps such as Yahoo Mail on desktop and mobile and remove your account from all other less secure apps.

If you still want to use an app that uses less secure sign in, go tohttps://login.yahoo.com/account/security#other-appsand turn on "Allow apps that use less secure sign in". This is not recommended and may leave your account more vulnerable to compromise. To learn more, please visit our help page:https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN27791.html.

Once I did that on my computer, my iPad and iphone yahoo email worked again!

Sep 25, 2012 9:03 AM in response to brentlacher

Just bought a 4s and had the same problem. I have 3 web sites hosted by yahoo and each has a separate email address. When setting up yahoo mail on my iphone I used the main account (blahblahblah@yahoo.com). Kept getting a pop up that said password is missing.

I deleted my yahoo ccount on my iphone.

I cleared all history and cookies from safari.

I went into my Yahoo account and changed the password.

I powered down and rebooted my iphone.

I set up the yahoo mail account again using my main email address associated with my Yahoo ID and got a pop up messege that yahoo server was not available.

I deleted my Yahoo ID email address and used an email address from one of my web sites.

Success! Yahoo account worked immediately and all contacts were synced.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Sep 27, 2012 12:32 AM in response to stevesol

stevesol wrote:

I actually just found the solution... Delete the account and create it again as a new account BUT don't pick the Yahoo! choice when you set it up. Just set it up as an "other" account, entering your same information. For some reason, this works.

At first I could receive inbound emails but I was not able to send any outbound email. So I deleted my mail account but it wouldn't even pass the authentication to add the new mail account.

Then I tried adding as "Other" instead of "Yahoo!"

But what should I enter in the incoming and outgoing mail server? I've tried imap.mail.yahoo.com and smtp.mail.yahoo.com, and nothing works.

Oct 7, 2012 7:49 AM in response to gdiana54

This seems to be a timing/reliability issue by Yahoo. When I deleted and recreated my Yahoo account by using "other", the iPhone automatically entered the values for the in/out server. I suspect that if I had recreated my account by using the "Yahoo" preset at that time it would have also worked. I periodically get the "need your correct password" error messages from Yahoo despite the fact that my password worked flawlessly before then. It seems to me that when Yahoo has issues, which is not uncommon, the accounts fail in various ways and if you're trying to create an account during one of these outages you will not be successful. This could also explain why you most often get to create the account without problems (and sometimes can't) and why it suddently starts working on its own (when it didn't an hour earlier). Just my two cents.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.