Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage will not send messages, iMessage will not send messages

I cannot send iMessages.

iPod touch (4th generation), iOS 6

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 8:22 PM

48 replies

Sep 25, 2012 7:13 AM in response to Sophiaj1

I have the same problem. On the same device a 4th gen iPod Touch running iOS 6. I'm not sure if it's related to use of airplane mode as I often use airplane mode to keep iPod quiet. When I turn off airplane mode, messages no longer send. This never happened with iOS 5. But, if I use the edit command on the top left of the screen and delete a message which wouldn't send, this sometimes seems to clear a jam and then my messages willl send. Often I have messages I haven't received which then show up, too.

Oct 9, 2012 1:58 PM in response to Sophiaj1

I have continued to have this issue. It says message not delivered and gives me a red exclamation point (! ) next to the undelivered message. At first I thought it was related to using airplane mode. Now I don't think airplane mode has anything to do with it. But I do know that for some reason I stop receiving text messages from other people. Those un-received text messages seem to create a logjam and then I can't send anything out. Only after the logjam clears do I receive missing texts and my texts will send out - usually simultaneously. Sometimes deleting 1 or more of the messages I couldn't send clears the logjam. Other times it doesn't. I have also tried killing the messages app and then restarting it. That seems to help sometimes. I even turned off messages in settings and turned it back on, but that didn't help. Strangely I even got a logjam in google voice text messages so it is likely affecting other text messaging services as well. I use google voice text messaging for people who don't have an iOS device.

Oct 9, 2012 2:20 PM in response to Sophiaj1

Several users have reported that iMessage has stopped working, meaning they are unable to send or receive messages after they upgraded their devices (iPad, iPhone or iPod) to iOS 6. Users are also reporting “Not Delivered!” errors in Messages. Here is how to troubleshoot your issue, please try each step until you fix your problem:

1. Make sure that Messages is tuned on (Settings > Messages > iMessage).
  2. Tap Settings > Messages and turn iMessage off and back on again.
  3. Make sure that your Apple ID or phone number is listed in Settings > Messages > Send & Receive.
  4. Restart your device by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake button, then toggle the “slide to power off” slide. To turn the device back on, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears.
  5. If nothing above works, try changing your DNS settings as described here.

Oct 11, 2012 3:49 PM in response to Keiichi_K

This is an intermittent problem so there is no way to tell if or when messages will stop working. The DNS fix seemed to work well for almost 2 days. But then it stopped sending once again. I tried deleting messages marked as unable to be sent, but that didn't fix it. I killed the app and restarted it but that didn't fix it. Then I killed all the apps running and restarted the iPod. That finally cleared it and allowed the messages I had not received from several hours earlier to show up. Messages do seem to send more quickly with the DNS change, and I've seen fewer failures when sending, but it is still an intermittent problem. And it still seems to get jammed up because there are messages it has not received.

Oct 11, 2012 4:23 PM in response to Sophiaj1

Please try each step until you resolve your issue:

Tap Settings > General > Date and Time > Set Automatically > Off. Set the date one year ahead. Then try to access the App Store.

Close the App Store completely by pressing the home button twice, pressing and hold the App Store icon until it starts to wiggle, then tapping the minus sign to close it. Re-launch the App Store.

Restart your device by pressing and holding the sleep/wake button until “Slide to Power off” appears.

Launch the App Store; if it is still blank with nothing shown, wait a few minutes. Sometimes apps may load slowly because of networking issues.

If still nothing appears, try changing the device’s language by tapping Settings > General > International > Language. Pick a language. Pick any other second language you already know or be familiar with. If you don’t, do not forget to navigate back in a different language. Change the language, launch the App Store, then change the language back to what it was originally.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2371

Sign out of your Apple ID by tapping Settings > iTunes & App Store, tap your Apple ID and select “Sign Out”. Wait one minute and sign back in by reentering your Apple ID and password.

If no success you can restore "as new" not restoring the backup. Follow the article. Save all info before doing this.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1808

Oct 20, 2012 12:58 PM in response to Keiichi_K

"Send" button not active (yes, with a message typed in).

It was working until recently ( - a few weeks ago? Dont't use it much.).

Messages on iPad 1 running iOS 5.1.1

Tried turning iMessage off and on, turning auto update of date and time off and on (as suggested below), force rebooting device, changing DNS server, etc.

Apple's turn to come up with a fix, I reckon. Hello?

Nov 8, 2012 4:11 PM in response to Keiichi_K

Wow. You were spot on! I checked my settings and found imessage turned off! I know for a fact I have never set this setting off -- in fact, I've been using imessage back and forth with other iphone users for months without a problem until just today. I tried sending an imessage to a friend (who doesn't have text messages included in his plan) and he wasn't getting it. When he looked at my phone he asked, "Why are your messages showing up green instead of blue?" I said I didn't know and that's what led me to come here. Sure enough, my phone was trying to send him SMS texts, which he couldn't receive. Once I checked my settings and turned imessage back on and signed back in with my Apple ID, everything works fine. But how did imessage get turned off in the first place? [Twilight Zone music playing in the background.]

iMessage will not send messages, iMessage will not send messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.