Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail & Gmail SMTP Not Working

My Apple Mail does not seem to work when sending emails using my gmail account. I receive emails just fine, the issue only exists when sending mail. I have tried ports 10, 25, 465, and 587 with and without SSL. I always end up with the error that Apple mail cannot connect to the SMTP server. I have tried searching and couldn't find any solutions. Any help would be great!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 11:04 PM

22 replies

Sep 30, 2012 2:54 PM in response to Koda650

Koda were you able to get this to work?

i'm not having problems with both my gmail accounts but one in particular. The one I use for work which i set up to reply from a different address.

Mail will add my signature, and i can see that i'm using the correct account. But it will reply from personal email. I made an appointemnt at Genuius bar today but couldn't convice the attendant the problem was with apple. She said it was with our work server. Explained to her once I receive the email it's out of that server and the problem is between mail and gmail..........

any way, looks like you are experienceing the same problem.

And yes, i've deleted the account numerous times to no avail.

Mail works fine from my iPhone and fine from Gmail directly......

Oct 2, 2012 10:02 PM in response to Koda650

Hi, i had the exact same problem after upgrading to 10.8.2. all my gmail accounts in my Apple Mail account suddenly stopped sending mail and it doesn't accept my password.

After an exhausting all options, i finally found a fix. The problem is most likely with gmail (or maybe apple too).

Google introduced a new security measure called 2-step verification which assigns a unique password PER application that uses gmail - which you are supposed to only enter once. Current settings for 2-Step Verfication is set at OFF. You can turn this ON by logging into your gmail via web and go to ACCOUNT SETTINGS under SECURITY.

I turned ON my 2-step verification followed the instructions and clicked on generate password for my APPLE MAIL and used that new password on my APPLE MAIL gmail password. Don't forget to change the password in the SMTP server as well.

I used the same password for my iOS Mail and it works too.

Everything started working again....I know it is a bit of an effort especially if you have multiple gmail accounts but anything that improves your online security is worth doing. Gmail said we only have to input the long passwords once - let's hope it's true.

I'm attaching a link on gmail's 2-step verifcation setup. Hope this helps! Cheers!

http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=175197

Jun 7, 2013 1:24 PM in response to iJed

This worked for me, too. I have a two-weeks old MacBook Pro 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 with 10.8.3 and it has been very frustrating so far, with Mail telling me that Gmail's SMTP server was offline. The first week was fine then it got steadily worse, until this afternoon when I tried all of the fixes which I found here and in other places and nothing worked (closing and opening Mail, restarting MacBook, editing smtp server list, re-entering password, unchecking SSL authentication, unlocking captcha, you name it).

I finally tried the double verification thing and it seems to have worked so far . I just hope it lasts as I have read many accounts of users who had thought that the "SMTP server offline" problem was solved, only to have it resurface weeks or months later.

Thank you!

Aug 23, 2013 12:14 AM in response to crimartix

I started having this problem of not being able to connect to the gmail smtp to SEND mail from Apple Mail about 3 weeks after setting it up and having it work fine. I have SCOURED the internet looking for solutions. What has finally worked for me is alternating between enabling the 2-step verification and turning it off on my gmail account. First, it won't work, so I'll set up 2-step verification, enter the "special" password into my Mail preferences, then it will work. Later, it will not longer work, so I will disable the 2-step verification and then it will work. Go back to the beginning loop and start again.

Dec 19, 2013 2:28 PM in response to iJed

Thank you for your help.

I have turned on two step verification and my iMac is now authorized.

However, I still can't send any mail from the mail aplication, getting the message:

Can not send message using the server smtp.gmail.com

My email account was rejected by the server - authentication required!

You mention to not forget to change the password in the SMTP server.

Maybe this is the problem?

How do I do that. Not the very long "don't have to remember" one I hope!

Apple Mail & Gmail SMTP Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.