Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

~ POWER PC APPLICATIONS NO LONGER SUPPORTED ~

Hello there

I am running on Mac OS X v 10.8.2

I have a licenced copy of MS Office and have not had a problem using it, until a recent Mac 'update'!

Since then, whenever I try to access it I get the following message:

"You can't open the application 'Microsoft Word' because PowerPC Applications are no longer supported"

How do I resolve this Please? Any ideas?

Cheers

Derek

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 3:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 3:30 AM

What version of Office are you using? It must be 2004 or older, which are old apps compiled to run on Motorola PowerPC chips, which no Mac has used in a long time now. Support for PowerPC apps was eliminated in Mac OS X 10.7 (aka Lion). You need to upgrade to a newer version of Office, or replace it with something else like Apple's Pages or the free OpenOffice or LibreOffice.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2012 3:30 AM in response to Derek King

What version of Office are you using? It must be 2004 or older, which are old apps compiled to run on Motorola PowerPC chips, which no Mac has used in a long time now. Support for PowerPC apps was eliminated in Mac OS X 10.7 (aka Lion). You need to upgrade to a newer version of Office, or replace it with something else like Apple's Pages or the free OpenOffice or LibreOffice.

Sep 25, 2012 3:46 AM in response to thomas_r.

Hello Thomas

I don't have a clue which version of Office I'm using! I have just always done the updates. The version I have runs on the laptop ok and that's running on Mac OS x v 10.6.8.

I do have iPages which I use myself. The problem being that I get a lot of MS files sent to me which I can't open!

You suggest upgrading, but as I cannot access my files, how do I do that?

Bear with me please Thomas. The computer to me is just like my car! I know where the switches are and I can drive it - I don't know how to re-build it!

Can you guide me through this please?

Cheers

Derek

Sep 25, 2012 5:33 AM in response to Derek King

You suggest upgrading, but as I cannot access my files, how do I do that?

You would have to buy a newer copy of Office and install it. Or delete the old Office and replace it with one of the other options I mentioned. (Google will help you find OpenOffice and LibreOffice.)

Note that recent versions of Pages should be able to open any Microsoft Word files that you receive, though it may not always display them exactly the same as Microsoft Word would. (Of course, the same is true of Word for Mac, to a lesser degree... a document made with Word for Windows may use fonts that are not present on the Mac, for example.) Pages can also export to a Microsoft Word file.

Sep 26, 2012 1:55 AM in response to thomas_r.

Hi Thomas

All this only happened a few weeks ago, immediatly after a OS X software upgrade! Prior to that upgrade I was able to access ALL the MS files. It's that little upgrade that has thrown a spanner in the works!

So let me say that in actual fact my version of office Has been supported by 'Lion', for whatever reason! Also I have the most recent version of iPages, and it will NOT open MS docs!

I have to say thanks for all you time and help and I will have to work through your suggestions.

I do hope life is good for you in Ohio.

Take care

Derek

Sep 26, 2012 4:24 AM in response to Derek King

So let me say that in actual fact my version of office Has been supported by 'Lion'

Find the Microsoft Word application in the Applications folder in the Finder and select it, then choose File -> Get Info. What version is it?

Also I have the most recent version of iPages, and it will NOT open MS docs!

Do the same for Pages. What version is it?

Also, note that Pages can only open .doc or .docx files... you're not trying to open Excel or PowerPoint files using Pages are you? You would need Numbers and Keynote to open those. Or one of those free Office clones I mentioned.

Sep 26, 2012 1:39 PM in response to Derek King

Derek King wrote:

Hi Thomas

You are still here! That's excellent, thanks.

OK. I have followed your instructions ( this took me into an area I have never been!) and the information you asked for is:

MS Office 2004 v 11.6.6 (111104)

iPages Work '09 v 4.2

Does this help you in resolving my problem?

Kind regards, and I hope you have a good evening

Derek

You have Office 2004, this is a PPC program and is not supported on Mountain Lion (10.8.x) it was not supported on Lion (10.7.x) either.

You must replace Office 2004 with a newer version (2008 or 2011) or download a free replacement, Open Office or KingSoft Office are my preferred ones.

Your version of Pages should have no difficulty opening Word files, what happens when you try?

Sep 26, 2012 1:56 PM in response to Csound1

Hi there Thomas

That was quick! You are still up! And then I realised you are in Ohio - is it good morning?

Let me say if I may, that, this is rather confusing! This version HAS been working on Lion up until a recent software upgrade! Strange isn't it?

However, as we know, it's not working now!

There is something even more strange going on here Thomas, I tried earlier today to open MS word files with iPages as you suggested, and my system refused, it came up with the same message I posted in my original post.

Now when I hace just tried, iPages opens them!

What the **** is going on? Have you any idea?

Cheers Derek

PS : It's late here in France - so I'm off to bed! Catch you tomorrow.......

Sep 26, 2012 1:58 PM in response to Derek King

Derek King wrote:

Hi there Thomas

That was quick! You are still up! And then I realised you are in Ohio - is it good morning?

Let me say if I may, that, this is rather confusing! This version HAS been working on Lion up until a recent software upgrade! Strange isn't it?

However, as we know, it's not working now!

There is something even more strange going on here Thomas, I tried earlier today to open MS word files with iPages as you suggested, and my system refused, it came up with the same message I posted in my original post.

What the **** is going on? Have you any idea?

Cheers Derek

PS : It's late here in France - so I'm off to bed! Catch you tomorrow.......

Sleep well Mon Ami, I will pass your best wishes to Thomas as I am not he.

Sep 26, 2012 2:05 PM in response to Derek King

This version HAS been working on Lion up until a recent software upgrade!

You must be mistaken. You're probably confusing Lion (Mac OS X 10.7) with Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6), as Office 2004 worked in Snow Leopard but absolutely will not, under any circumstances, on Lion or later. In any case, the fact that you have Office 2004 confirms that you must replace it with something else in order to open Word files in Mountain Lion.

I tried earlier today to open MS word files with iPages as you suggested, and my system refused, it came up with the same message I posted in my original post.

Sounds like you probably were still trying to open them with Word, rather than with Pages.

Sep 26, 2012 4:29 PM in response to Derek King

Workarounds:

1. Revert your Mac to the older version of OS X;

2. Partition your hard drive or add an external hard drive and install Snow Leopard (with Rosetta) and use the "dual-boot" system to run Word 2004;

3. Upgrade to Office 2011 or use alternative programs; or

2. The solution I use: Install Snow Leopard (and Rosetta) into Parallels 7 or 8 and be able to run Word 2004 concurrently with Lion:

User uploaded file

[click on image to enlarge]

Full Snow Leopard installation instructions here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1365439

Sep 27, 2012 1:11 AM in response to thomas_r.

Hi Thomas

Do you know what? I'm very confused!

My iMac is new (5 months) and has been running on 'lion' since day 1. I have an older Macbook pro that is running on Snow Leopard that my wife uses. We have been passing word files to one another, from one machine to the other, both ways, without a problem - until the recent 'Lion' software update on the iMac 2 or so weeks ago.

The MS Office I have is the original one I purchased, and must be at least 6 years old. I have always done the regular updates.

I don't pretend I know anything about what goes on inside the software or hardware, neither do I want to. I remain in awe of you and others who do.

I will take your advice and try 'Open Office' - it seems the easiest way to resolved this issue.

So, thanks for your patience and all your help.

Hope life is good for you.

Kind regards

Derek

~ POWER PC APPLICATIONS NO LONGER SUPPORTED ~

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.