Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No option for display rotation in extended monitor from my Macbook Pro (OS : Lion 10.7.5) after update from 10.7.4

Hi there.

I am using macbook pro with Lion 10.7.5 updated from 10.7.4. I also using extended VGA monitor DELL U2410. It can be rotate vertical and horizontal for my programming purpose.

The problem is, after i update from 10.7.4 to 10.7.5, the option for Rotation at the extended monitor gone! it should be there below the Refresh Rate option on 10.7.4.

Please help me.

Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 6:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 7:00 PM

Restore the backup you made before 10.7.5. There is obviously some standard your monitor does not support fully and now it is out of spec.

51 replies

Sep 26, 2012 2:01 AM in response to mfa1984

Having the same problem.

My external display is rotated to 90 degrees, but after the upgrade I have the following issues

1. The image is not rotated anymore. I have to turn the display back to it's normal landscape position.

2. The option to select the rotation in the Screen preference panel is gone.

3. The available resolutions for the external display are still the pivoted resolutions. I.e., instead of 1920x1200 (width x height) I have a 1200 x 1920 image on the screen, with a 720 px wide black area on the right, and anything below 1200px height cut off.

4. In the "About my Mac" tool, the display rotation is still shown as 90 degrees.

This renders the external screen completely unusable, as I can't neither switch the stored rotation back to normal, nor use it in portrait mode, as the pixels are not rotated anymore.

The display is made by Samsung, hope this does not affect it's usability with my Macs ;-)

Sep 26, 2012 9:15 PM in response to mfa1984

i have the exact same problem on my iMac, also updated to 10.7.5. I also have the rotation 90 in system report > hardware > graphic/displays.

what's more, i also own a MBA which i updated to 10.7.5 as well on the same day, the monitor still has the rotation option when connected to my MBA...

it's a Dell U2311H monitor that's only 1 year old

Sep 26, 2012 11:05 PM in response to mfa1984

Apple hid the option for whatever reason in 10.7.5

To make Roate appear again close the system preference panel.

1. Hold Command + Option

2. Click on system preferences

3. Clock on displays

you should now see the option again - and you can release Command and Option keys.

Be ware tho! The option seems to be broken for A LOT of monitors (including my Cinema display) so you may still have the same result... Maybe that's why they hid it

Sep 27, 2012 1:51 AM in response to liquidray

Screen rotation was a hidden gem from that found its way into Mac OS X, which you needed special hardware before from Radius to get. Obviously, someone is dropping the ball now, and you probably will want to submit an Apple bug report by first signing up for the free online http://developer.apple.com account, and then submitting to http://bugreporter.apple.com/ I doubt though it would be fixed for 10.7 on 10.7.5 since 10.7.5 almost didn't get released. It is rare a free update is applied to change the version of a no longer curreent retail operating system. Still you never know, as the squeeky wheel often gets the greese.

Sep 27, 2012 2:14 AM in response to liquidray

tried that software and set to standard but still not working, the wallpaper got stretched to fill the whole screen but still it's rotated (and squashed of coz). tried other rotation settings and resolutions availble and no matter which combination i had, it's still rotated....

thanks for your suggestions anyways though. appreciate it! 🙂

Oct 1, 2012 7:35 PM in response to mfa1984

@Christianmiles - agreed. I had to use the workaround to disable rotation so that I could use my 2nd monitor at all. This is kind of sad considering this was the OS for graphic designers and other video professionals. In particular I am pretty upset cuz I just invested in some nice monitor arms and vesa mounts for my Cinema displays 😟 I hope Apple fixes this soon. It *** bigtime

No option for display rotation in extended monitor from my Macbook Pro (OS : Lion 10.7.5) after update from 10.7.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.