Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 3 and iOS 6 - Home button not working

Since updating to iOS 6, the iPad 3's home button has been acting quite flaky. It often stops responding all together, forcing me to use gestures to quit apps or to access the multitasking panel. I've tried rebooting the device and re-calibrating the home button but the improvements are short-lived.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks,

Kenroy

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 10:35 PM

213 replies

Sep 26, 2012 5:38 AM in response to kenroy

I have the same problem. Imediately after the iOS 6 update my home button doesn't respond well now. It can takes few tries to get it to respond. This was evident imediately after my iPhone restarted after the update. It seems like too much of a coincidence that the button would have a mechanical problem that just happen to coincide with the update. It seems like even less of a coincidence now that I see that others are having the identical problem.

Sep 27, 2012 6:49 AM in response to kenroy

I have the very same problem on my iPhone 4. I also thought my button was failing but it is very much intermittent. I have found that rebooting does not change the behavior. I have rebooted and had difficulty with the very first home button press to get to the unlock screen not working for 16-20 presses. Problem can occur with any usage of the phone. Extremely frustrating problem.

Sep 28, 2012 8:30 PM in response to kenroy

I am having the same problem on my iPad 3 and iPhone 4, my friends! I'm also one of the bad lucky ones that the battery has considerably decreased :( in both devices! iOS 6 is very buggy! It increased a little the performance in some aspects, like email, settings, etc.. but it's really different the battery since upgrade.

I tried to restore both devices from zero and backup from iCloud, but no success... The home button is not working properly and I have to press it harder to bright the screen (on both devices!)! You know, I've been very careful not pressing it harder to take care of my devices, but know it seems impossible to be caring!

I really hope that a battery fix, bugs and home button update to come out shortly... I'm really sad and disappointed with Apple :/ always loved it...

I liked maps, and not complaining that it doesn't find things or the fact that the maps are somehow ugly yet. I believe it has potential and that the company will improve everything! I really hope so!

Sep 30, 2012 10:43 AM in response to kenroy

I'm having the exact same problem, and it's quite annoying because I now have to press the home button on my ipad 3 about 20 times before I can get it to respond, and even then it freezes up. It seemed to have started after upgrading to iOS6, which is really kind of disappointing because you guys (at Apple) charge a lot of money for these devices and create quite a build up prior to releasing new features promising all these new/improved features, but there's always a flaw that overshadows the goo things isn't it? Shouldn't you guys have tested all these things prior to giving us some faulty software and making us go out of our way to try and get these things sorted out for us at apple stores or whatever? I bought my ipad three not two months ago, paid $700 for, and already it's starting to give me issues. I had a similar problem with my iPhone 4, when maybe after you released iOS5 the home button stopped working. I had to go to the store and they couldn't fix it so the solution was to mail me a new device and return the faulty one to Verizon. And when I got the new device, I had to go through the headache of resyncing all my contacts, music, apps, and some features weren't working either. Like for when I tried to sync playlists, I couldn't transfer all the music into the new device because of something to do with protected files purchased from iTunes. I had to do a bunch of research before I could figure out how to actually get my music to sync on the phone.

Now I feel like I'll be in a similar position where, if I go to the apple store, they won't be able to fix this problem and they'll make me mail my device to apple for an exchange for a new one and I'll have to go through the same process again.

If you guys want customer satisfaction, how about you deliver us with products that actually work as they're intended to instead of forcing us to have to do all this extra stuff? It's not like you're going to be willing to return the money I've spent on your faulty product if I've gotten fed up with it are you?

iPad 3 and iOS 6 - Home button not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.