Check your if your wireless infrastructure is compatible. In our case we are needing to upgrade firmware on our HP / H3C Wireless as the current version is not compatible IOS6.
We also use Blue Coat Proxy SG and have not yet discovered any specific IOS6 issues when appropriate wireless firmware is being used - as yet (early days).
I work at a College in Australia and saw this post. We haven't had the same problems.. iOS 6 seems to be working without issue. However I note you mention:
The other issue we have even with iOS 5 is we could not connect to https sites.
This measns that your proxy is not working appropriately. You see we found out, (by accidently typing our proxy address incorrectly) that we could still visit all http sites, but could not see our https sites.
Have you tried entering in your Proxies address into safari, and seeing if you can see the text file? It would seem to me at least, that for some reason your iPads are not able to read the file. This may be due to permissions on the file. Check this out if it is being run on a Linux based OS.
I'm an engineer at a Hospital looking after BYOD.
We've just had the same as above, users bring in ipdas and phone upgraded to IOS6.
We're using a Cisco wireless nework and bluecoat SG in trnasparent mode.
If I put a static bypas in the ipad connects to the web page "sucsesfull", soon as I take the by pass out, this no longer works.
Had no problems with IOS 5.
Do have the same kind of problem with Android, but in a call with supplier regarding this.
Will be interested to see the out come as we've tried all these hard resets.
Luckly non of coporate devices have been upgraded yet.
Our school is having a similar problem with the iPads that were updated to iOS6. We don't use a proxy but we have a Sonicwall and the user has to login to the Sonicwall before the device can have Internet access.
Here is what I have found and maybe it will help you. The problem (for us) is that immediately after the iPad is connected to our Wifi it tries to contact the Apple servers in California. This connection is blocked by the firewall because the user has not had the opportunity to login to the firewall. The iPad opens a screen that is not part of Safari to allow the user to log into the firewall but they can't because a pop-up window is needed and this application has no settings to allow pop-ups. Under normal circumstances the user would open Safari and login but if we try to switch to Safari it cancels the connection attempt and disconnects from the Wifi. Obviously, this means we no longer have a connection to our Sonicwall.
The trick I am using to make it work is this. (Keep in mind, we don't normally use proxy settings). I set the http proxy setting for the particular network to AUTO. This causes enough confusion in the iPad that, if I am quick enough, I can open Safari and log into the firewall real quick. Once that is done it will work fine....until the user goes to a different access point.
Actually what I was wondering is if you could tell me what gsp1.apple.com is actually used for. Since upgrading our iPads to iOS 6 we cannot get an IP until our iPads connect to that address. We use an appliance called Websence which requires authentication before accessing the internet, as soon as you connect to an SSID you get a Websence prompt, after authentication you get a blank page with only the word success on it. After tracking the location we found that it is going to gsp1.apple.com and just wondered if there was a way areound this, and why this stops our iPads from getting an IP if they done connect to it.
I tried the 2 urls in blue coat, put them to not authenticate, so should be no problem. Didn't work, then just put a wild card in for apple.com, this still doesn't work.
Think may have to do with session cookies, every time a new browser page is opened you need to reauthnticate or or will loose the wifi settings.
if I put the iPad in a static bypass there is no problem. So seems to be the way it handles cookies.
Somehow I did get it to access a website but then it failed again.
We're are just using wpa2psk for the WLAN for iPad, but the blue coat require windows authentication via Iwa.
Hope this helps
Just found following On the Blue Coat support site
ITunes application on the Apple phones uses different headers than the standard HTTP headers to represent the expired objects time.
These headers are not recognized by the proxy since they are not standard HTTP, and hence the proxy may server expired objects that can lead to terminating the application.
Please see both the request and respond below ( the application is using x-apple-lok-expire-date header
Apply the policy below to your local policy file to bypass cache for the traffic coming from itunes.apple.com and any request using it as referer
Hope this helps