Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How am I using so much data with iPhone 5?

Got the iPhone 5 Friday evening and by Tuesday afternoon I went over 5 gb of data usage. That's 5gb in 4 days. How is this possible?

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 5:12 PM

34 replies

Apr 30, 2017 6:09 AM in response to DSCarney

Omg! I've had this phone and this particular plan from att for a while and all of a sudden I used ALL my high speed data in less than a week's time. How I'm the world? And when it says a podcast is downloaded it then pops a message that it's temporarily unavailable?! It's driving me crazy. Anyone know how to keep data from bn uselessly burned? Can listening to podcasts for two hours a day burn up data super fast?

Sep 27, 2012 6:42 AM in response to laffertyinc

ATT has been no help. They just gave me their basic canned responses about smart phones using data even when on wifi, when not actively using, etc. The last message from them actually suggested that I check for a hung up email that was trying to send. That was in response to a single data transmission of 2.4 gigbytes that I found on my bill.

As it stands after the first five days of owning the iPhone 5 I am on pace to use 33 gigbytes of data this month. Over the past two years I have averaged under 2 gigabytes per month. I used 2.4gb in a single data transmission!

The majority of the usage is in a small number of transmissions over a three day period. 5.3 gigabytes was used in six separate data transmissions:

381mb

120mb

1.1gb

2.4gb

990mb

333mb

I feel sorry for everyone with a capped data plan. They're going to be in for a rude awakening when they get their bill if my usage is any indication.

Sep 28, 2012 10:35 AM in response to laffertyinc

I have confirmed with Apple that when the iphone locks (screen turns black) it drops wifi and reverts to the carrier data plan to conserve battery use. Any background data like music streaming, comes from LTE. You can see this by noticing when you unlock your phone each time the LTE or 3G appears for a split second before the wifi icon. I imagine this will become more of an issue as everyone is moved away from unlimited data plans.

How am I using so much data with iPhone 5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.