Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone5 / iOS6 Keyboard Click Volume Issue

I have both an iPhone 5 and an iPhone 4. Both are on iOS6, but I have a sound problem on my iPhone5. It's keyboard clicks (sounds) are very low in volume. Sometimes the problem disappears, and sometimes the problem comes back. I have verified that this problem does not exist on my iPhone 4.

All volume controls are maxed out, and I do not have anything blocking the speaker.

Everything sound effect works at my set volume, except the keyboard clicks.

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 8:12 AM

28 replies

Sep 28, 2012 4:02 PM in response to LatentEffect

I am having the same problem with my Verizon iPhone 5, and new iPad. A normal restart tends to fix it. I think I have narrowed it down to when I get a text message and immediately unlock and goes straight to messaging app. All other sound is perfect, except keyboard clicks. I have a friend that is experiencing the same problem. I believe it to be a software glitch. Hopefully apple knows about it and can resolve it.

Sep 29, 2012 1:24 PM in response to LatentEffect

I have an odd solution to the problem. Let me know if it works. I have the same issue and the only way I could find to solve it is the following:

(1) Double-Click the home button to open the multitasking bar

(2) slide to the music/volume bar to the left of the multitasking bar

(3) turn the volume slider DOWN!

I know it's odd. For my device it seems like the keyboard clicks have been tied to this volume bar, but backwards. I have no idea why, or how, or what would cause this to happen, but after a little experimenting I was able to increase the volume of the keyboard clicks.

Using the main volume buttons on the side of the iphone had no effect on the volume of the keyboard clicks, only the ringer volume.

Hope that helps until Apple is able to fix this weird bug/glitch.

Sep 30, 2012 1:30 PM in response to LatentEffect

This seems to be an issue involved with adjusting the sound within quicktime (movie player) or any other media based application. If you are like me, you tend to double tap the the home button and shut off running apps that you are no longer using. However, if you have just lowered the sound within the app before shutting it off, it will affect the sound of your keyboard clicks.

Jan 7, 2013 9:20 PM in response to iPhil

Tried this and it worked for me the first time but wouldn't work subsequent times to adjust for better level. I was able to get it to work when I had both the maps app and safari open with the maps app giving driving directions. It seems as though there are different volume level settings throughout iOS that don't link together perfectly. I ran into this once before when I adjusted the volume while using the GPS but had low volume in other areas even though volume indicated maximum when using buttons to raise it.

iPhone5 / iOS6 Keyboard Click Volume Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.