Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-tethering issues (OS X 10.6.8, iTunes 10.7, iOS 6)

S.O.S. I've been getting sick for weeks now after every step I've taken using the group discussion I wasn't successful literally at all. I even clean install my laptop desperate to regain the connection. I really like the usb-tethering, please please help me on this??

I have MB white running SNOW LEOPARD with iTUNES 10.7 and iOS 6 iPhone 4s yet still not detecting USB on my Network under System Preferences.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), White

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 8:42 AM

27 replies

Sep 30, 2012 12:10 PM in response to AbOdWs

Im on os 10.6.8 on 2 machines

I made the mistake of updating to itunes 10.7 on my mac pro. This was before I updated to ios6 on an iphone 4

Clearly apple didnt test itunes 10.7 before releasing it to the public and yet again we are the unpaid software beta testers!

My desktop did not recognise my iphone when plugged into the usb charger/data cable as it did perfectly fine with itunes 10.6.3

I had to connect via bluetooth since I dont have wireless on the mac pro. This works but I prefer to tether with the usb cable.

I think its a lot slower via bluetooth than with the usb cable

I know that the phone isnt affected because I left the laptop with itunes 10.6.3 and it sees the phone when plugged into the usb and the internet tethering works fine

This is the case before and after updating to ios6. updating to ios6 didnt fix the usb tethering problem on my mac pro. And it tethers fine via usb on my laptop running os 10.6.8 with itunes 10.6.3

Im going to try the kext replacement from the laptop to the mac pro now and see if I can restore the computers ability to see the iphone when plugged in via usb for internet tethering ...

This has really wasted my time and its annoying that apple havent admitted the problem exists or brought out a fix!

Oct 2, 2012 9:42 PM in response to Jay Tulod

I have the same problem on mac os x 10.6.8 updating my itunes to 10.7 connecting the iphone 4s on iOS 5.1.1.

I have tried to replace the kext replacement of appleUSBEthernet file since it helpled before but didnt work this time. I tried to rollback on an earlier version of itunes but the content could not be read. I have gone through the apple trobleshooting but no avail. was about to upgrade iOS to 6 on the iphone untill i stumbled over this discussion. a remedy to the situation would be great.

Oct 9, 2012 10:01 AM in response to Jay Tulod

Another case of bad quality control on the part of Apple...

Luckily I have several Macs, and tend to update only one at a time, an wait to see what they have messed up this time, they manage make quite a few headaches with EVERY update, despite what the appologists would have you believe.

Anyway, having compared two machines, (one updated the other not) the update of iTunes to 10.7 seems to have updated AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext to version 2.3.6 and in the process messed it up (of course, its not their fault).

You need to replace this kext with a good version or an earlier working version, repairing permissions did not work.

To do this, download KextUtility and install it, then drag the old working kext onto the KextUtility icon, it willreplace the broken version and fix any other permission issues in your S/L/E folder.

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilities/Kext-Utility.shtml

and the working kexts (if you can't find it on your time machine backup)...

Version 2.2.0 http://db.tt/Fahk9VBe

Version 2.3.6 http://db.tt/U674UcOV

Nice one Apple, thanks for wasting a few hours of my life, AGAIN.

Oct 10, 2012 11:28 AM in response to Michael Lemass

I have now solved my tethering problem - I didnt need to use terminal.

I downloaded the kext utility, unzipped it and put the .app file into my applications folder, then I dragged the kext file from my laptop (AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext version 2.3.0)

The utility replaced the one that itunes 10.7 must have installed or modified into a backup folder and installs the one from my laptop where I was still on itunes 10.6.3 and it has the same permissions as the other files in that folder system/library/extensions

I rebooted and plugged my iphone in via the usb charger/data cable and immediatly the system put up a window stating:

A new interface has been detected

the "iphone USB" network interface has not been set up. To set up this interface use network preferences"

I then clicked the blue button NETWORK PREFERENCES

This showed the iphone in NOT CONNECTED status so I clicked on ASSIST me and just keep going, you will notice the red dot beside the iphone changing to orange (no IP address) then it changes to green and all is well!!

Thanks a million to Hibernian56 and whoever made kext-utility!!

No thanks to apple for not testing their software properly and wasting my time with hours of reading online!!!

Im on 10.6.8 on both machines

The problem with the kext file that was updated by itunes 10.7 was that the machine no longer detected the iphone thru the usb cable. Thanks to the other users on here its now fixed! ;-)

Oct 29, 2012 6:27 AM in response to Hibernian56

Hi Hibernian56

Thanks a lot, it took some time, but it worked.

Just one observation :

"and the working kexts (if you can't find it on your time machine backup)...

Version 2.2.0 http://db.tt/Fahk9VBe

Version 2.3.6 http://db.tt/U674UcOV

"

Il had Version 2.3.6 with SNOW LEOPARD 10.6.8, iTUNES 10.7 and iOS 6 iPhone 4, and it didn't work, so I downloaded the Version 2.2.0.

I had forgotten to restart tne machine, in order to load the system extensions in memory.

Hi Michael Lemass

"This showed the iphone in NOT CONNECTED status so I clicked on ASSIST me and just keep going, you will notice the red dot beside the iphone changing to orange (no IP address) then it changes to green and all is well!!"
Same for me, the dot remained orange until I choose via the Apple menu to connect via USB iPhone, although there was no IP address.

Feb 27, 2013 8:37 PM in response to Hibernian56

I am one happy camper right now. Thank you and thank goodness for an active support community.

I hit the Genius (not so Genius today) Bar and walked away disappointed. The only help (and I get it I guess) is she pointed me to this solution saying she couldn't do more than that. Odd. But it worked like a charm.

Back in business. Cheers!

USB-tethering issues (OS X 10.6.8, iTunes 10.7, iOS 6)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.