Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mountain Lion USB Key

Hi Folks,

I recently bought a new MacBook Pro from Apple that came with 10.8 pre installed. My previous Apple laptop came with the OS and apps on a restore DVD but this one doesn't. How can I get a copy of Mountain Lion to put on a USB stick? The Mac App Store wont let me redownload it without paying again for it. Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Adam

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), 15.4 in Hi Res 2.3 GHz i7 8GB 500GB

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 1:29 AM

30 replies

Sep 30, 2012 7:46 AM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

I don't believe there is any way to do that with a pre-loaded system. You can create an external recovery HD with the Recovery Disk Assistant: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4848

The other option is to just clone your current system using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper.

Yes there is a way, actually several ways, to Get, Save and Make a USB Install thumb drive of Mt Lion.

It is the same from Mt Lion as it was for Lion. Google is your Friend.

Sep 30, 2012 8:54 AM in response to Shootist007

Shootist007 wrote:

Barney-15E wrote:

I don't believe there is any way to do that with a pre-loaded system. You can create an external recovery HD with the Recovery Disk Assistant: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4848

The other option is to just clone your current system using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper.

Yes there is a way, actually several ways, to Get, Save and Make a USB Install thumb drive of Mt Lion.

It is the same from Mt Lion as it was for Lion. Google is your Friend.

As I can't find an example for a Pre-loaded system, can you please post a link to a tutorial that describes how to make an install disk, usb, whatever from a factory pre-installed version of Lion or Mountain Lion.

Since the pre-installed versions are not downloadable, how do you make an install disk without the installer?

If there is a method to interrupt the Recovery HD reinstall where you can capture the installer prior to it running, then I suppose that would provide a method. Again, I haven't seen one that describes how to do that.

Mountain Lion USB Key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.