Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot setup Yahoo! in Mail

Hi,

I cannot setup Yahoo! in OS X Mail in Mountain Lion using the built-in Yahoo! option. I can access Yahoo via web whenever I feel like it, I have it setup on both my iPad and iPhone with the built-in option... I just cannot do it in OS X. Whenever I try, it say "Unable to verify account name or password". See screenshot below.

According to this post, multiple people have got it to work (regardless of what one person on the thread kept claiming) and others could not. So I know it is working for some.

I know I can set it up under "Add Other Account", but before I do that, I want to see if I can get it setup with the built-in option.

Thanks,

Scott

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 17 inch 2010

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 8:26 AM

14 replies

Sep 30, 2012 9:18 AM in response to Tucker28

Check with your ISP for the correct Yahoo mail settings. Most of the time the Apple Mail program uses the Default Yahoo settings which are not correct if you are using an ISP that has farmed out its Mail system to Yahoo. Like AT&T uses setting like pop.att.yahoo.com and smtp.att.yahoo.com. Without those server settings being correct for your specific ISP you will never be able to log on to the Yahoo servers to get or send your mail.

Sep 30, 2012 2:16 PM in response to Tucker28

If the server setttings are correct then you have not used the correct Logon Name and or Password. Or the form you are using is incorrect. Username instead of Usename@yahoo.com. Not sure as I don't use Yahoo. But if you go to the Yahoo site and click on HELP there should be a page detailing all the correct servers and the forum you must use to log on to the Yahoo servers.

Sep 30, 2012 2:23 PM in response to Tucker28

You know Tucker, I just searched for Yahoo's correct settings, found so many I can't copy them all, but they all differ!

I have found servers named imap.bizmail.yahoo.com, imap.mail.yahoo.com, pop.att.yahoo.com and so on, some request the full email address for login yet others don't. They don't even agree on whether to turn SSL on, or not. It's not clear why the differences (Yahoo Business Mail, Mail + etc) but I am glad not to be using Yahoo.

Contact Yahoo for assistance I suggest.

Sep 30, 2012 2:50 PM in response to Tucker28

I have tried using just my ID without the yahoo.com... As soon as I press the set up button, it sticks it back on there. And it's the same username and password that I used to log into the Yahoo web site, my iPhone and my iPad. It worked for those three, but refuses to work for this. That's the reason I was leaning toward OS X as having the issue instead of Yahoo.

Also, there is no place to put the servers in this. What you see in the screen shot is all there is. As soon as you click on Yahoo in Mail, Contacts & Calendars, that screen is the only one you see. And based on what I've seen while searching, it's working for some, so the I information is there. I submitted a ticket to Yahoo as well, but considering its working on all my other devices, I don't think they are going to be much help. Especially since when I put the information into Messages, it works fine. So, it lets me log into Yahoo Messenger on Messages in Mountain Lion, but I can't put it in Mail, Contacts and Calendars, so I can access my mail. Ironic thing is, Mail Contacts and Calendars would have set up Messages as well. I'm getting such a headache.

I'm going to change the password... Maybe Mail, Contacts and Calendars has a shorter field length than the rest of then and it is truncating my password. I'll follow up when I have done that.

Sep 30, 2012 3:12 PM in response to Tucker28

Well, I'm not sure if that worked or not. It is working finally, but I don't know if changing the password did anything or not. That's because after I changed the password, I logged out of the website, and then logged back in with the new password. Safari then immediately asked me if I wanted to add Yahoo to my Mail, Contacts & Calendars. I said yes, and it installed it...

So, I don't know it it was the password being changed that did it, or if it was simply letting Safari to it's thing instead of doing it myself in System Preferences. Either way, it worked.

Thanks for all your help, guys!

Scott

May 18, 2013 4:50 PM in response to Tucker28

I had the same problem... I just bought an iMac, it is my first Mac ever, but I have been using iPhones since 2008 and iPads since 2011.

OS X would not allow me to log into my yahoo acct thru system preferences/mail, contacts, calendars.

I got everything resolved....but I did NOT have to change my Yahoo password...all I had to do was use Safari to log into my Yahoo webmail account and it asked me if I wanted to add this account to mail.app on my iMac. I said "Yes" and it presented me with choices of what I wanted to be active (you can choose mail, notes, calendar, etc) I just chose mail only.

However I do have two yahoo accounts, and I could not use the same procedure with my secondary yahoo account.

With the secondary yahoo acct, I tried using Safari webmail to prompt me to add the acct, like it did with my first yahoo acct. But no go. So I went back to system preferences/mail, contacts, calendars. Still no go.

I finally got my second yahoo acct set up using sys pref, but I had to set it up as "Other Acct" not as a "Yahoo" acct.

Hope this helps!

Cannot setup Yahoo! in Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.