Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music stops when accessing a website

I am playing music from my phone. As soon as I open the site www.nytimes.com in Safari the music stops. If I go to Music, hit play, and open Safari again, the music stops. This only happens with the main page; if I have an article from this website open the music continues as it should. I don't understand why the music is stopping since this website has no music of its own. Is there a way to prevent the music from being stopped when looking at this website?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 8:02 PM

32 replies

Mar 16, 2017 2:08 AM in response to aklemm10

aklemm10 wrote:

The problem still exists. iOS 10.2.1, Iphone 7, website rt.com

The music player shows a link to https://c.algovid.com/v...

Why has this issue not been addressed since Sep 30, 2012?

Some possible reasons…

• Apple doesn't care enough to change it.
  • It may be designed to operate this way as iOS is basically a 'single task' OS.
  • Not enough people have told Apple it is a problem, post feedback & they may get around to fixing it one day.

https://ssl.apple.com/feedback/

Try using an adblocker (search the app store) - many sites have terrible advertising that can cause this. Also you can try disabling javascript but frankly that breaks so many sites nowadays that it is not practical but you may find that you can browse some sites without being interrupted. Adblock has a browser that may be worth trying if you don't want to meddle with Safari content blocking extensions.

This one claims to stop it…

http://umbra.dolphin.com/

Oct 19, 2017 3:14 PM in response to alanchrishughes

I'm pretty sure the problem lies with Google Ads. I think there is some turf war between them and Apple, with Google exploiting a flaw in iOS and Apple now disabling the cross-website tracking function in Safari that Google relies on to curate advertisements. I understand the argument about allowing multiple audio channels but the real and immediate solution is to block Google Ads a la my post above: Re: Music stops when accessing a website

Feb 19, 2017 9:32 AM in response to vi.vi

Happend anytime a website has preloaded media...which 99% of the time is some ad that plays. REALLY ANNOYING. Streaming music, reading articles, and every second webpage cuts off my music and some stupid ad starts playing.

Seeing as this thread is 2+ years old and the same problem not only persists but seems to be getting worse, I don't think Apple is doing anything about it.

Oct 19, 2017 1:07 PM in response to alanchrishughes

This is absurd. Five years and still the same problem. I have tried everything suggested in this thread and nothing helps even slightly. There is simply no way Apple is unaware of this problem, but so few people are talking about it that I’m becoming suspicious it is some MKUltra type program. The issue has followed me across 3 iPhones and now manifests on my iPad Mini 4. It affects ALL music apps and occurs whether using any brand of headphones or no headphones, and is triggered from ANY web browser. I have reset my settings. I have paid for a useless adblock. I give up. It even happened recently on drudgereport. DRUDGEREPORT!!!! The only thing close to media on drudgereport is Google Ads, which doesn’t play any sound. Apple, you set it up so Music stops playing when ANY other media starts playing. This was YOUR decision. So, it is up to you to see that it doesn’t ruin my listening experience. I thought Music was the heart and soul of Apple or something? Sure seems like you don’t care.

Oct 19, 2017 1:33 PM in response to Community User

Seems I spoke too soon. I think I just found a solution. This really does seem to be working as I have been around nytimes.com without issue now, letting each page load completely. The solution seems to be this AdBlock app I downloaded a while ago. For some reason when I first set it up, it didn’t work. I assumed I had been scammed. Bottom line is, you need to make sure it says “[VPN]” next to your connection symbol on the status bar. For example, my iPad shows the WiFi bars and next to that it says “[VPN],” while my iPhone says “LTE [VPN].” Get it? You can’t rely on AdBlock when it says “enabled;” you need to check the symbol. I have no advice on what to do in absence of the symbol. I did reset my IPhone to factory settings, but I didn’t do that on the iPad. So, I have no idea. Being on the VPN doesn’t seem to slow down my connection, and they pinky swear it doesn’t cost me any extra data. The important thing is that Google Ads are now not loading in at all. I thought safari was supposed to block website tracking anyway, but whatever. This seems to be the fix. I’ll keep you posted if my delicately laid Rube Goldberg machine breaks down. I don’t want to fall back down into randopause ****.

Oct 19, 2017 1:55 PM in response to Community User

Update 1: As soon as I was finished with my last post, I went back to Safari and the problem returned! It occurred on both nytimes.com and another news site. Google ads were loading again! I opened the AdBlock app, which I left running in the background, and the VPN was off, even though my status bar said “[VPN]”! Therefore it seems you have to check both the status bar AND the AdBlock app itself with each web surfing session. ***************

Oct 19, 2017 3:07 PM in response to Community User

Nobody should have to use an ad block to stop ios from doing something dumb. Apple just needs to fix its own operating system.

They don't pull this crap on MacOS. You could play iTunes, Spotify, Youtube, Netflix, Hulu, HBO, etc all at the same time as long as you have enough ram and they aren't going to stop each other. They all just mind their own business and let the user actually use their devices.

Nov 21, 2017 7:00 AM in response to vi.vi

apple has not solved ANY problem or bug that I have ever mentioned on this. I have said this before, Apple has a massive beta test population giving FREE crowdsource advice and they never reply with a solution.

apple music perhaps simply needs a switch in the settings that does not allow its audio to overridden. It always feels like apple folks just arent using their products enough to address all the permutations.

for example: why in late 2017 is there no dolby truehd streaming option for movies. nobody knows. it is techincally reasonable and would obviate the need for bluray players for most people.

i expect apple to “get to it” in about 5-10 years IF they get to it. count the time between airplay1 and airpay2.

Dec 22, 2017 3:12 PM in response to KishoreY

I love crapple fans, buys iphone, nothing works, cracks the sads.... Goes buys the next gen iphone, nothing works, cracks the sads............... Then stop buying Apple products, pretty simple!

I have an iphone and there is no way on gods green earth that i would buy apple products that go with it. Once the company leaves Apple infrastructure, Goodbye Apple, hello happiness.

Oct 1, 2012 4:32 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks for the reply. The music only stops only the site is fully loaded. Sometimes it takes a few secons for it to stop, but it stops. I did what you suggested, but the behaviour continues. If it doesn't happen with iOS 5, then it must be something to do with iOS 6, which I find quite surprising. I would really like to know what is happening here.

Oct 2, 2012 9:19 AM in response to vi.vi

FYI. I updated my 4S to iOS 6 last night and have tested this again and I cannot get it to duplicate the behavior that you describe. I go to Music, start a song, go to Safari, go to the NYTimes web site and have gone through 2 songs so far and the music doesn't stop.

Try going into Settings, Safari, and clear history and cookies. See if that changes the way your Safari behaves. You also don't mention if you tried the reset that I recommended. Let me know what you find out.

Oct 2, 2012 7:14 PM in response to vi.vi

It seems to have to do with if the we page has media content on it or not. I've had a similar experience on the Verge on the iPhone 5 review page, for example, because it has videos on the page. The problem is that the audio switch from Music app to QuickTime player continues even when the QuickTime application is not running/streaming. So, it will just sound blank and continue to switch the music 'off' into its static pauses mode while it awaits the content that is not currently playing.

Please fix this Apple.

Music stops when accessing a website

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.