Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

delete a template from My Templates

How do I delete a template from My Templates? Right Click does not produce a drop down menu and the icon can't be dragged to trash. Finder does not reveal My Templates.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 7:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 7:13 AM

This is something the iWork designers never gave much thought to. Then when Lion came along it became even more difficult. Your custom templates are stored with other, obscure, User Account files.

You first need to access your User Library folder. Open a Finder window, hold down the Option key and click on the Go menu on the Finder menu line. When the menu drops down, continue to hold down the Option key and select "Library". This is your User Library, distinct from the System Library.

In the User Library, navigate to: Application Support, iWork, Pages, Templates, My Templates.

Good luck.

Jerry

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2012 7:13 AM in response to dlix

This is something the iWork designers never gave much thought to. Then when Lion came along it became even more difficult. Your custom templates are stored with other, obscure, User Account files.

You first need to access your User Library folder. Open a Finder window, hold down the Option key and click on the Go menu on the Finder menu line. When the menu drops down, continue to hold down the Option key and select "Library". This is your User Library, distinct from the System Library.

In the User Library, navigate to: Application Support, iWork, Pages, Templates, My Templates.

Good luck.

Jerry

Nov 17, 2012 3:41 PM in response to toricor

Click on the Desktop so that you see Finder as the active application. Then hold down the Option/alt key & click on the Go menu to find your user library - first screenshot. Once in the Library, view it in column view & follow the path in my second screenshot. I have added extra folders for organizing that you won't have, but the "My Templates" folder you need is highlighted in the screenshot.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jan 5, 2015 3:40 PM in response to James Pickard

You know, I tried this but when I get to the 'Microsoft' folder there's no 'Office' folder. There are four folders within my Microsoft folder, which are MAU2.0, MERP2.0, Playready and Silverlight - and none of them have My Templates in them! It's weird because I don't even have a 'Library' menu when I click on 'Go' via the Finder (although I can get to the Library by clicking through the hierarchies). I'm currently running Yosemite 10.10.1 and using Office for Mac through 365. I wonder if this has anything to do with it?

Anyone else having the same problem as me? I can't believe I'm not able to delete this template that I myself created!

Feb 28, 2015 8:17 AM in response to Peggy

I made 4 custom TEMPLATES in numbers (VER. 3.5.2(2118) . I added them to the TEMPLATE CHOOSER. Now i want to delete 2 of them, so I took the pathway to MY TEMPLATES in application support But they are not there. The do show in on the desktop under (MY TEMPLATES) but not in the MY TEMPLATES FOLDER?

I don’t know where to go from here?

Apr 11, 2015 3:31 PM in response to Peggy

I was rapidly approaching my own 3-step solution: (1) Unplug all cords. (2) Drop machine in nearest dumpster. (3) Buy a PC.

This is one of many productivity issues with Apple. Simple things that should only take a few clicks of the mouse are instead complicated and cumbersome. Many thanks to those users who contribute solutions that could never be found in Help.

May 13, 2015 5:58 AM in response to Castleton228

Hi,

Anyone still looking for where Pages 5.5.3 stores user templates needs to navigate to the "Container" folder in the Library. From there, in this instance, you find the "com.apple.iWork.Pages" file and then right click to open a menu from which you choose "show package contents". Inside there is a folder named "Data." Open this, open "Library," open "Application Support," and there you will find "User Templates."

With any luck the user templates that have been saved in Pages 5.5.3 will be there.

I'm not sure why Yosemite or the latest version of iWork applications (whichever is responsible) makes it so hard to find files like these.

The obvious other thing you can do is what I did to find them - do a search of the top Library folder for the name of one of my templates. But of course you would need to know this. I suppose you could always save a user template in Pages with a distinctive name to search for.

Ordinarily of course most user template functions can be done in the chooser as has already been described. But I too needed to move old templates to their proper place when changing from Pages '09 to 5.5.3

I hope thjis helps those looking for these files. 🙂

Tim

delete a template from My Templates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.