Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy music between 2 libraries on same computer

I would like to copy/share music between 2 separate libraries on the same Mac computer. Both libraries share the same Apple id and the same user account on the Mac. I have succeeded in manually importing individual tracks but this is rather long winded and would like to import an entire playlist from one library to another.

The 2 libraries were set up to operate with 2 iPods (mine and my wife's). Both libraries are also backed up onto an Ext HDD running with Time Machine.

Any thoughts, please?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 3:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 7:04 AM

Select a playlist

iTunes > File > Export...

Other library: iTunes > File > Import...

The above process will use the same file so you have to agree not to make changes to the file the other person does not want.

If you want to use your own copies of the files you can highlight all the files in a playlist, then drag those to a folder on the computer. This will copy those files to that folder. Now open the other library and drag those files to an empty playlist window.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2012 7:04 AM in response to LeVignoble

Select a playlist

iTunes > File > Export...

Other library: iTunes > File > Import...

The above process will use the same file so you have to agree not to make changes to the file the other person does not want.

If you want to use your own copies of the files you can highlight all the files in a playlist, then drag those to a folder on the computer. This will copy those files to that folder. Now open the other library and drag those files to an empty playlist window.

Oct 3, 2012 7:44 AM in response to Limnos

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. I felt sure there was a simpler way to transfer the music.

Perhaps is would be better for me to create a play list on my wife's library, of the songs I want to copy and then do as you suggest and export then import them?

Previously (and wrongly), having selected the playlist, I exported the list and 'saved as' to my own library (thinking that was part of the exporting process) and not to my wife's (the originating library) as I should have. Now I understand the rational behind the procedure, I will have no problems in the future.

Incidently, I take it this is the same procedure to use for copying purchased music also?

Thanks again for your help and advice......

Oct 3, 2012 8:00 AM in response to LeVignoble

Yes, should work for purchased music too since you're both authorized on that computer.

Method 1 is if you are sharing the same files, method 2 is if you each want your own copy of the file (e.g., if you cannot agree on how an album should be named). Method 1 is exporting a listing of the files and their location. Method 2 is making copies of the files in the playlist and then importing those into the other library.

If using method 2 you should check you don't end up with many extra copies of files. When dragging to a playlist iTunes adds a copy of the file, not the original. You could drag the folder of files to Automatically Add To iTunes which does move the files but then it won't be entered as a playlist.

I'm not sure if this works in your case or is helpful:

iTunes Home Sharing now works between users on same computer - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3865597

Oct 3, 2012 8:02 AM in response to Limnos

Thanks for the feedback. I certainly need to understand what is happening during the process and the implications of which option to chose. On balanace, I think I favour option 2, copying the files to a folder on the desk top.

The iPod was a cast off from my wife, so the least she can do is allow me access to her music library...!

Copy music between 2 libraries on same computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.