Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple mail : Failing on sends to SMTP SERVER : Fix needed?

Suddenly my MacMail, which has been working perfectly for over a year or more, has refused to send outgoing emails to my ISP (BT/YAHOO).

After hours checking settings, and passwords, then in a long support call with BT at 2 call centres in India and Newcastle, the conclusion was that some Apple upgrades must have occurred!

All we get is the screen : Cannot send the message using the server ... + "Connections to the server “smtp.mail.yahoo.com” on the default ports failed (error 54: Connection reset by peer)"

BT said there were currently quite a few issues coming up for support with Apple boxes. I hope it is not a case of "Windows supreme down with Apple" but the UK techy (using 'Go to Assist') seemed to know her way around Apple OS X, well.

As a retired person, my own outgoing emails are now small - the last being Sunday 30 September 00.02 hrs (GMT+1.00), - to a US based SVP of a world wide computer company, so I am sure it was received!

So whatever has happened is since then - if there have been upgrades, which are automatic on my machine, I have not had a warning splash to advise, reboot or anything.

I can still send from BT/Yahoo's cloud e-mail, and receive perfectly satisfactorily at that level, and at client level. Have we trouble with Java again?

Ideally could we have a staff response, as time is going to be wasted if this is a common problem - and of course a fix needed.

(Macbook 6.61; Intel core 2 duo 2.26 Mhz; Mac OS X 10.6.8 / Mac Mail 4.6(1085) / Firefox 15.0.1)

Thanks...... 14h44 BST; Wednesday 3 October 2012

<b>Repeat of </b>: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/285994-e-mail-failing-sen ds-smtp-server.html#post1455086

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 7:14 AM

8 replies

Oct 10, 2012 8:32 AM in response to terry_nyorks

Exactly the same problem with a friends iMac. He sent an email before going on holiday at the end of September with no problem. Returning a week later could receive emails from BT Yahoo but not send ... all other aspects of network & internet worked just fine. After much playing about with his machine I eventually swapped out his Vigor 2600 router for a BT HomeHub 3 that I had laying about .... voila, all SMTP sending problems evaporated.

As yet I cannot figure out what has changed on the BT network, suggestions would be welcomed

iMac core 2 duo: Mac OSX 10.6.8 (Vigor 2600 router changed to HomeHub 3)

Oct 11, 2012 1:33 AM in response to terry_nyorks

A little more information to add to my last posting.

As part of my investigation I initially tried swapping the users Vigor 2600 with a spare Vigor 2600G that I had laying spare. That showed exactly the same problem as the first unit and blindsighted me to suspect BT equipment problems at the exchange.

Following protracted conversations with the useless BT Indian 'customer support' by the user which resulted in "the fault lies with Apple" line, I went back and tried various settings and ultimately the HomeHub swap, which worked.

I have other site which is also running Vigor 2600 routers - to which a Dell server and client machines are attched. No sign of any problems there, but they do not use BT Yahoo mail.

Let us know of your solution.

Oct 11, 2012 10:15 AM in response to ginaTech

Thanks Gina, again. Unfortunately, I've got to wait for a few days for the replacement router to be delivered from BT, so I'll come back as soon as possible, but it will be about 10 days or so.

Meantime, I'll ask a pal of mine running IT at my local college who is an Apple user as well, to see if he has any experience of this, or comments.

Oct 21, 2012 5:15 AM in response to terry_nyorks

Tested my computer on 2 separate wifi sites as I travelled around the country! SMTP sending worked perfectly, so clearly not an Apple software or operating system problem.

BT Homehub 3 awaited my return, installed, works OK (except for installing USB cabled printer.....!) - I can now send e-mails from Apple Mail.

BT have clearly done something to 'outlaw' non-BT routers (or at least Vigor ones as mentioned in this thread). So no-one will admit to anything, since all you can get to is 'front line' staffs - and it is unfair to give them a hard time - and no-one at a senior level (or system design level) seems to come back to you.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH, BT.

If you Google search "mail not sending on BT client" restricted to the UK and for the last week you get 19500 results right now. Even if only some of these fit this thread, there are others.

What is going on BT? Are you asleep, BT?

See also:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/285994-e-mail-failing-sen ds-smtp-server.html

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4390078

And even on a BT discussion forum there are issues. Here's a recent example (Mail client level, though not Apple) :

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/BT-INTERNET-EMAIL-WINDOWS-LIVE-MAIL- ISSUE/td-p/645428

(Macbook 6.61; Intel core 2 duo 2.26 Mhz; Mac OS X 10.6.8 / Mac Mail 4.6(1085) / Firefox 15.0.1)

Message was edited by: terry_nyorks - added an extra link : BT community

Oct 21, 2012 7:12 AM in response to terry_nyorks

I really do despair about BT. Long ago I learnt not to bother trying to communicate with them, unless I wished to develop an ulcer.

Best I can suggest is to add a cheap print server to the HomeHub .... this will connect to one of the wired ethernet ports and provide you with USB capability for printing over ethernet.

Have a look at TP-Link server.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PS310U-Single-USB2-0-Storage/dp/B002LB8XFK/re f=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1350828286&sr=1-1

Apple mail : Failing on sends to SMTP SERVER : Fix needed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.