Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Mid 2010 i3 can carry on 32GB Ram in 1600Mhz?

Hay,

1. i see older post in this community that people can get their imac from mid 2010 models up to 32gb of ram from the OWC vebdour but thay didnt write down the Frequency. (by the way thay seeling any special kit? i can go to buy regular DIMM's and put them regulary? )

2. i wonder if the i3 CPU Can Carry 1600Mhz of ram speed because i saw in intel website that the cache speed memory is 1333Mhz.

what you think that happend if i put 1600Mhz memory and he wouldent support thie frequency?

he just show me 1333Mhz and work good?

Thanks A Lot.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 1:21 AM

18 replies

Oct 4, 2012 3:39 AM in response to Oria Maymon

According to the excellent online vendor, OWC, you could use 4 x 8 GB RAM modules in that mid 2010 iMac model. However, that would probably be overkill for most even advanced Users. 16 GB will handle most video editting, Photoshop, and other high demands quite nicely. You might check your Activity Monitor's memory useage reading whe you iMac is under what you consider a heavy load, and see how many GB's you're actually using and how many pageouts to the hard drive you're getting.

Hope this helps 🙂

May 10, 2017 6:08 PM in response to JLG89

I've upgraded my 27 iMac mid2010 from 8g to 32gb, mainly because I work with some huge files in photoshop from time to time.

The thing is, also from time to time, I get multiple crashes... and then it reboots to this:

User uploaded file

I can insert here one or the reports that the system presents me after the reboot. It really is annoying once it can crash and reboot every 2 min... for one day, or 2 or 5... And then, it keeps running perfectly for months.

I've:Imac mid 2010, 27'', 2,93 GHz Intel Core i7

Any ideas?

Jan 9, 2017 4:47 PM in response to JLG89

Fun thing is, if your comfortable with major disassembly, you can replace the i3 processor with an i5 or i7...

Max memory then becomes 32 gigabyte...

Even more fun, you can use replace the two core processor, with a four core...

While the individual core scores are slightly less, the total processor power is much greater.

The original Thermal Design Power (amount of heat it can handle) was 73 watts,

the 82 watt 750S, 860S, or 870S, at 82 watts, have been proven to work.

May 10, 2017 8:14 PM in response to Learod

Where did,you get the RAM modules from?

You MUST use THE EXACT RAM that your model iMac is spec'd for.

Correct and reliable Mac RAM can ONLY be purchased from online Mac RAM sources Crucial memory (crucial .com) or OWC, aka, Other World Computing (macsales.com).

When buying RAM for Macs from Crucial memory, purchase ONLY directly from the Crucial memory website. NOT from some other online source.

Good Luck!

May 11, 2017 10:28 AM in response to MichelPM

I've checked here which memory would be the correct one:

https://www.flexxmemory.co.uk/mac-ddr3-1333mhz/16gb-kit-8gbx2-204-pin-sodimm-ddr 3-pc3l-10600-1333mhz-memory-module-for-2…

and then buyer them from a store...

Funny thing is that it only crashes from time to time... Last time was about 2 months ago. And then, this week, it came back... I shut the iMac off, for one day, and now it is running smoothly.

I don't understand what it can be.

Oct 4, 2012 1:43 AM in response to Oria Maymon

Hi

For your Mid 2010 iMac the RAM specs are as you have said:

Maximum Memory 32 GB (Actual) 16 GB (Apple)

Memory Slots 4 - 204-pin PC3-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

2. If you install RAM whose speed is faster than the other chips on the board can handle, it will either run at the slower speed (1333 MHz), or not at all.

Oct 4, 2012 5:48 AM in response to Oria Maymon

Well, it "might". iMacs are somewhat known for being very finicky about the Brand and Model of RAM that they will run "stabley" with. OWC, Crucial, Samsung, have been used time and time again successfuly as reported by Users on this Forum. Kingston "Value" RAM modules have proven unstable in many reports here. I have not read of any Users trying Corsair specifically, so apparently you might be our "test subject" 😉

Let us know how it does.

Hope this helps 🙂

Mar 26, 2013 9:46 AM in response to Radiation Mac

Hay,

after a while.. a big one.

i have replaced my iMac into a Late 2012 27" one.

i try to run him with 8GB RAM DDR3 1300Mhz of corsair but then the computer start acting weard after wake up from sleep.

the solution is simple.

no matter what you prefer to do and how much ram you want to add and which.

always but always leave one slot originally that came with your iMac.

its probably subject of tim cycles to and from the CPU/motherboard.

right now i have 28GB of ram 24 gb of corsair and one of Elpida that came with my imac.

i add some photos and a youtube movie for your reference.

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/4553/img0562xg.jpg

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/9242/img0848am.jpg

at the top the orginal supplied RAM with my iMac from Elpida

at the bottom the one that i purchased

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuaipXmE_SI&feature=youtu.be

hope this is help to all the guys out there that wonder thing or two about their ram.

Apr 10, 2013 12:07 PM in response to Oria Maymon

Hi Oria,

This post got resurrected, so I decided to post. I believe, but not entirely sure the reason your iMac is running weird is that it is not meant to run RAM past 16 GBs of RAM.

Your iMac didn't like taking the full 32 GBs of RAM. Your iMac may not like the 28, 24 or even 20 GBs of RAM, at some later point.

If this is the same i3 CPU model you posted in this thread, earlier, all of the 2010, i3 CPU models, 21 and 27 inch screen models are limited to 16 GBs.

This is according to EveryMac.com.

Only the i5 and i7 CPU models can go the 32 GBs of RAM.

So, if you start having real stability and crashing issues, you may have to pull memory out and run on just 16 GBs of RAM.

iMac Mid 2010 i3 can carry on 32GB Ram in 1600Mhz?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.