Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unified address names keeps changing back to facebook name in ios 6 (Facebook Contact Sync)

Okay what am I doing wrong. Like most people, I was excited for the facebook integration and contact syncing. Some of my facebook friends, were already in my contacts (iCloud), after syncing my contacts with facebook, it change some of my contacts names to their facebook names. I then opened up the contact scrolled to iCloud contact, and chose the "use this name for unified card". I was happy. but every so often it changes them back.

Today I fixed then again, backup up the device, and updated my contacts again in facebook, and it was fine. I am wondering if its an iCloud issue? Could my other iDevices be causing the contacts to changing back?

Anyone else seeing this?

iPhone 4

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 11:31 AM

47 replies

Oct 6, 2012 9:35 AM in response to cbosel

I have linked them together (iCloud and Facebook) I then choose which name I want to be used. To me, this should finish the job, and it should be stored.. Only to see it change back. I have made the corrections on my iPad as well, I am hopeful that this was what was causing it to go back on my phone as it was an issue of iCloud and my iPad.

Jan 24, 2013 8:07 PM in response to littlekelli

I have the solution for this, so please full attention here to get it correctly. I found the steps from the iOS 6 manual.

Link a contact: Edit a contact, tap Edit, then tap and choose the contact entry to link to.

Linked contacts aren’t merged. If you change or add information in a unified contact, the

changes are copied to each source account where that information already exists.

If you link contacts with different first or last names, the names on the individual cards won’t

change, but only one name appears on the unified card. To choose which name appears when

you view the unified card, tap the linked card with the name you prefer, then tap Use This Name

For Unified Card.

View contact information from a source account: Tap one of the source accounts.

Unlink a contact: Tap Edit, tap , then tap Unlink

First Step: Edit contacts

Second Step: Scroll down & Click + symbol

Third Step: Click linked contacts (choose your contact that you want to be linked if the contact you are in)

Fourth Step: Click done

Fifth Step: Go to LINKED CONTACTS

Sixth Step: Choose your prefer name ex. Facebook: Taylor Rocker

iCould: Taylor Swift

Seven Step: EXAMPLE: I choose iCould to be my prefer name.

Click on iCould: Taylor Swift
There will be a new button appear which is "Use This Name For Unified Card"

FYI: IF FACEBOOK NAME AND ICOULD NAME ARE THE SAME OR A BIT DIFFERENT, YOU CANNOT CHOOSE WHICH NAME YOU WANT TO BE APPEAR.

Jan 24, 2013 8:48 PM in response to W.H.HILMI

This issue was not how to create a link, or how to set what name is to be used in the unified card. These step were already done, as I briefly stated in my post. After linking and setting what name is to be used in the unified card, for example I wanted "Mom" to show as "Mom" vs. "Jackie Smith". The unified card goes back to the Facebook name (jackie smith vs mom) every time Facebook updates contact info. This issue is with the name going back to the Facebook name Vs the name you want it to use and set it to use.

Jan 24, 2013 10:15 PM in response to W.H.HILMI

As i'm sure everybody experiencing this problem in this post has tried, i'm afraid this doesn't work. Even if you select 'Use This Name For Unified Card', the name will later return to whatever the chosen Facebook name is (I guess during the next time your phone syncs with your Facebook contacts). Apple haven't issued a fix for this problem yet, from what i can see...

unified address names keeps changing back to facebook name in ios 6 (Facebook Contact Sync)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.