Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my UserEventAgent high CPU?

Hello Apple Users,

I have a Macbook Pro 13 inch, early 2011. 4GB RAM. It's running the latest 10.8.2 Mountain Lion update (12C60).I just bought a new mouse, the Sharkoon DarkGlider Gaming mouse. It worked perfectly until today.

So, here's my problem:

When I connect my mouse to my Mac, UserEventAgent starts to take my CPU to 95% to 100% in use. The Macbook fan starts to spin really fast, and the system is starting to get a little bit of lag (although I have an SSD). When I disconnect the mouse, it takes 3 minutes and the CPU goes down.

I found this all in the Activity monitor, where I also found out this:

/

/usr/libexec/UserEventAgent

/System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/PlugIns/csparser.bundle/Contents/M acOS/csparser

/private/var/folders/68/26ks81xs5vzcfcztcrwf8kxm0000gn/C/mds/mdsDirectory.db

/usr/share/icu/icudt49l.dat

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/ACRRDaemon.plugin/Contents/MacOS/ACRRDaemon

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/AirPortUserAgent.plugin/Contents/MacOS/AirPortU serAgent

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/AppleHIDMouseAgent.plugin/Contents/MacOS/AppleH IDMouseAgent

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/AssistantUEA.plugin/Contents/MacOS/AssistantUEA

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/AutoTimeZone.plugin/Contents/MacOS/AutoTimeZone

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/BTMMPortInUseAgent.plugin/Contents/MacOS/BTMMPo rtInUseAgent

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/BluetoothUserAgent-Plugin.plugin/Contents/MacOS /BluetoothUserAgent-Plugin

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/BonjourEvents.plugin/Contents/MacOS/BonjourEven ts

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/CalendarMonitor.plugin/Contents/MacOS/CalendarM onitor

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/CaptiveUserAgent.plugin/Contents/MacOS/CaptiveU serAgent

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/DiskUnmountWatcher.plugin/Contents/MacOS/DiskUn mountWatcher

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/EAPOLMonitor.plugin/Contents/MacOS/EAPOLMonitor

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/GSSNotificationForwarder.plugin/Contents/MacOS/ GSSNotificationForwarder

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/LocationMenu.plugin/Contents/MacOS/LocationMenu

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/PrinterMonitor.plugin/Contents/MacOS/PrinterMon itor

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/SCMonitor.plugin/Contents/MacOS/SCMonitor

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/alfUIplugin.plugin/Contents/MacOS/alfUIplugin

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.UserNotification.plugi n/Contents/MacOS/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.UserNotification

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/com.apple.TimeMachine.plugin/Contents/MacOS/com .apple.TimeMachine

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/com.apple.bonjour.plugin/Contents/MacOS/com.app le.bonjour

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/com.apple.cfnotification.plugin/Contents/MacOS/ com.apple.cfnotification

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/com.apple.dispatch.vfs.plugin/Contents/MacOS/co m.apple.dispatch.vfs

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/com.apple.fsevents.matching.plugin/Contents/Mac OS/com.apple.fsevents.matching

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/com.apple.iokit.matching.plugin/Contents/MacOS/ com.apple.iokit.matching

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/com.apple.launchd.helper.plugin/Contents/MacOS/ com.apple.launchd.helper

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/com.apple.locationd.events.plugin/Contents/MacO S/com.apple.locationd.events

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/com.apple.notifyd.matching.plugin/Contents/MacO S/com.apple.notifyd.matching

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/com.apple.rcdevent.matching.plugin/Contents/Mac OS/com.apple.rcdevent.matching

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/com.apple.time.plugin/Contents/MacOS/com.apple. time

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/com.apple.universalaccess.events.plugin/Content s/MacOS/com.apple.universalaccess.events

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/com.apple.usernotificationcenter.matching.plugi n/Contents/MacOS/com.apple.usernotificationcenter.matching

/System/Library/Extensions/IOHIDFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOHIDLib.plugin/Con tents/MacOS/IOHIDLib

/private/var/folders/68/26ks81xs5vzcfcztcrwf8kxm0000gn/C/com.apple.LaunchService s-036501.csstore

/usr/lib/dyld

/private/var/db/dyld/dyld_shared_cache_x86_64

/dev/null

/dev/null

/dev/null

count=1, state=0x2

/dev/io8log

->0xfcb24bc03ba955bf

/Library/Caches

count=0, state=0

/private/etc/com.apple.screensharing.agent.launchd

/private/etc

/private

count=0, state=0

/private/var/db/PanicReporter

/private/var/db

/private/var

/private

count=0, state=0

/private/var/db/GPURestartReporter

/private/var/db

/private/var

/private

count=0, state=0

/private/etc

/private/etc

/private

count=0, state=0

/Users/niels97oet/Library

/Users/niels97oet/Library

/Users/niels97oet

/Users

count=0, state=0

/Library

/Library

count=0, state=0

/Applications

/

/Applications/Utilities

/Applications

count=0, state=0

/Library/Caches

/Library

count=0, state=0

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.AirPortBaseStationAgent.launchd

/Library/Preferences

/Library

count=0, state=0

/usr

/usr

Anybody seeing something unusual?

Please help if you've got a fix!

Greetings from Holland, Niels

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 6:02 AM

19 replies

Oct 8, 2012 12:13 AM in response to Niels97Oet

I have fixed it! Here is what I did:

I saw this output of a list of files attached to this process, so I thought, what if I delete one?

/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/AppleHIDMouseAgent.plugin/Contents/MacOS/AppleH IDMouseAgent

This seemed to be the driver for an non-apple mouse, a HID (Human Interface Device) USB driver

This is what the driver contains, opening it in Coda:

• System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework (Wasn't that for reading CPU temp?)
  • HIDHotPlugHandler (Plug USB mouse in, and turn CPU up?)
  • HIDUnplugHandler (Unplugging USB mouse, and put CPU down?)
  • com.apple.AppleHIDMouseAgent (That's the drivers name)

I don't know this all, and if it was needed. SO I just deleted the AppleH IDMouseAgent.plugin, and everything is working fine now! Even the apple magic mouse is still working. 😀
(ACTUALLY I DON'T DELETED THE PLUGIN, I JUST MOVED IT TO MY DOCUMENTS FOLDER, JUST IN CASE...)

I hope this helps, and could this have any concequences? Apple does NOT include plugins that can just be deleted, I guess? 😐

Mar 16, 2016 10:11 AM in response to Niels97Oet

I am having this issue And have been for a long time. Even unplugging every single device from my iMac, and turning off every Bluetooth device, the UserEventAgent was still taking upwards of 100% CPU!

I tried to delete the AppleHIDMouseAgent.plugin but the system won't let me. I can't even "rm -r" it in Terminal; it gives me protection errors.

I've just rebooted with everything still disconnected
 and it's still up there at 99.8%!

Somewhere along the way researching various slow-downs (possibly this issue; it's been while so I don't quite remember) I discovered that Wacom drivers were causing issues. I had disconnected my tablet and seen some improvements, but this time that wasn't helping, so I uninstalled the Wacom drivers. And on the next reboot, the UserEventAgent was no longer at 100%!

We will see if this lasts
 but it's worth a try.

-Joseph

Why is my UserEventAgent high CPU?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.