Previous 1 2 3 Next 32 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2013 1:15 PM by B1nzy
BigWorm76 Level 1 Level 1

I like many others had a problem with my homesharing/Airplay from my PC to Apple TV not working. 

I could share from my iphone, ipad, and itouch's with no problem but I could not Airplay from my PC/itunes or see my main PC's sharing from the AppleTV.

Problem Summary

worked before the last few updates

I can do airplay from iphone and ipads

AppleTV can get to cloud movies and music

Still unable to connect to Windows7 computer running itunes.

Resolutions:

AppleTV2 sleep mode off,

ApplyTV2 on wifi,(AppleTV worked while connected via Ethernet)

AppleTV2 and Windows7 desktop - sign out and in to home sharing,

Windows Firewall is off

*****Disable IGMP Proxy Setting from your router (Verizon Fios, etc) *****

I finally found my fix to this and it was to disable the IGMP Proxy setting in my providers router.  I have Verizon FIO and even upgraded my router and still had the problem.  I called Apple support and they said the cause is the network is dropping jumbo packets.  Once I disabled the IGMP setting in my router and then rebooted my AppleTV it worked.

Problem Summary

Re: iTunes 10.6.3 home sharing not working properly

Oct 7, 2012 6:48 PM (in response to Jsimber)

Glad to hear that is working for a lot of people.  How I understand it is when Apple added 1080P is about the time this issue started occuring.  Basically more bandwidth is being requested by apple tv (1080P) and the IGMP was blocking the larger traffic request.  Even though this is not Apple's fault or anyone elses (Providers) for that matter I am sure they cleverly disabled the home share connection all together as a protective measure for their service quality.  If your 1080P movies started getting choppy, then they would take a bigger hit.  When you disable IGMP, you turn off the filter allowing the larger traffic through.

Good look and hope it works for you.

AppleTV 2, iOS 6, AppleTV, Airplay, HomeSharing
Solved by fett1988 on Oct 9, 2012 5:24 PM Solved
God bless you, sir! Pulling my hair out for a bit on this one, and so far, this did the trick! Thanks!!
Reply by willwp on Oct 8, 2012 10:30 PM Helpful
I couldn't find anything related to IGMP on my Netgear router, but it did get me to try disabling the UPNP setting I had in the router. Interestingly it had about a hundred entries in the "portmap" table that were cleared. As soon as I did that I was able to get home sharing to show up on my apple TV, my iPad remote started working, the iDevices I connect to iTunes popped up (they had been intermittently disappearing) and even my Squeezebox controller started working. This had all been working in the past, so blame IO6 in some form (whether the most recent iTunes update) for causing this. Yet to figure out if I lose any functionality from not having UPNP enabled.

All replies

• willwp Level 1 Level 1

I couldn't find anything related to IGMP on my Netgear router, but it did get me to try disabling the UPNP setting I had in the router. Interestingly it had about a hundred entries in the "portmap" table that were cleared. As soon as I did that I was able to get home sharing to show up on my apple TV, my iPad remote started working, the iDevices I connect to iTunes popped up (they had been intermittently disappearing) and even my Squeezebox controller started working.

This had all been working in the past, so blame IO6 in some form (whether the most recent iTunes update) for causing this. Yet to figure out if I lose any functionality from not having UPNP enabled.

• fett1988 Level 1 Level 1

God bless you, sir!

Pulling my hair out for a bit on this one, and so far, this did the trick!

Thanks!!

• Vignus 55 Level 1 Level 1

I'm glad it works for some, but I don't think the issue lyes with UPNP.

If that was the case, shoudn't everything accessing the iTunes library not be working?

I can access iTunes library (on my iMac) with Apple TV3 and Macbook Pro, but not with the iPad and iPhone.

Things started going bad after IO6 update, and that's the only thing I believe all of us have in common. I suspect that unless that will get fixed (if ever), shared libraries will be randomly working, at best.

Vignus

• howellrvp Level 1 Level 1

Big Worm, you are the bomb! I have been killing myself trying to get this home sharing working finally you provided my solution! I have verizon fios and  I had to disabled my IGMP on my Verizon actiontec router and YES!

• Tex Arcana Level 1 Level 1

All hail BigWorm76.  Instant success.

Weel now all of a sudden it doesn't work anymore....ugh!

• BPOdom Level 1 Level 1

Thank You BigWorm76.  I have been trying to figure out what happened for months now.  Apple support was no help.  I now have sharing working again.  Thanks again!

I also have Verizon FiOS with an Actiontec router. Message was edited by: BPOdom

i'm seriously getting peeved at this...

Depending on the time of day, general cloudiness, and if Venus is in the house of Scorpio, Home Sharing may decide to work.

Seriously, I was literally sitting doing nothing, and it disappeared from the iPad. Two hours later, after touching NOTHING, it was back.

Now it's gone again!

• Kleezz Level 1 Level 1

THANK YOU!!!!!!

• Markomann Level 1 Level 1

WAYDAGO, Bigwom76! I did the IGMP tweak and my Apple TV / Home Sharing is greatly improved. HOWEVER, thus far, I still have to restart my Apple TV and sign out / sign in to Home Sharing within iTunes now and then anyway.  I'll keep trying.

I spoke with the Apple TV tech regarding this Home Sharing "hiccup" and....EUREKA.....all aspects of Home Sharing are working as designed.  Remove your current iTunes and related programs, Restart, and then reinstall iTunes 10.7.  Follow the detailed instructions:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923?viewlocale=en_US

Good luck to all!!

• Vignus 55 Level 1 Level 1

I don't get it, Markomann,

If everything is worlking as designed, why should someone uninstall iTunes and the re-install it? Is that part of the design? Also, what are the "related programs"?

Can you please be more specific?

Vignus

Vignus,

The "related Apple programs" are listed witin the proceedural link:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923?viewlocale=en_US 

Hoep for the best!

• tasking Level 1 Level 1

*bows* JFC, thank you!  I was having problems with Home Sharing between my PC and laptop.  I knew it was something with the router, but I wasn't sure what.  As soon as I saw Verizon FiOS, I knew this was gonna work.  Thanks so much!

Previous 1 2 3 Next