Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music just disappeared on 32g iPod touch.

I was listening to my iPod when it stopped suddenly - I went to forward to the next track but it was then showing that there were no songs or artists loaded on it. When I plugged it into iTunes and click on Music, it shows a list of all the songs that were on it but shows the capacity of the iPod as being empty.

What gives here - how did it suddenly wipe everything and any idea how to get it back? Shouldnt there be a back up somewhere as I have it checked to back up to the same PC.

Appreciate any suggestions.....

iPod touch, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 2:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 4:52 AM

Try:

- Reset the iPod. Nothing will be lost

Reset iPod touch: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Unsync (at least try) all music and then resync music

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup

- Restore to factory settings/new iPod.

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2012 4:52 AM in response to OzScouser

Try:

- Reset the iPod. Nothing will be lost

Reset iPod touch: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Unsync (at least try) all music and then resync music

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup

- Restore to factory settings/new iPod.

Oct 11, 2012 3:43 PM in response to OzScouser

Hurray!

I found this solution as a link at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3055886

• Tap on “Settings” and then on “General” and then on “International”
  • Change your Language to another option, for example if your default is English, change it to Francais
  • Relaunch the iPod app and wait for the iPod library to update
  • Your music has returned, navigate back to Language settings and revert back to English (or your default)

This fix is at http://osxdaily.com/2010/11/24/fix-for-no-content-on-iphone-ipod-after-ios-4-2-1 -update/

Believe it or not, it actually worked!

Oct 8, 2012 8:14 AM in response to OzScouser

The exact same thing happened to my 2 y/o 64 GB 4th gen Touch last night. I've been running iOS 6 since it was released. Never seen anything like this before. Resetting didn't help. When plugged in, iTunes reports the Capacity bar as having 0.01 GB in Audio, with 56 GB free. Syncing takes just a few seconds, and iTunes updates its Capacity bar to show 50 GB of music on the device, which would be correct, except the iPod still thinks it doesn't contain any music. Nothing else appears to have been affected. I just sync playlists, not my whole library. I had to "stop syncing", perform a sync, and then resume syncing music to clear this bad state. The new sync is progressing as expected. This is going to take a while...

Oct 8, 2012 2:14 PM in response to lllaass

Thanks but already tried that after reading some of the other suggestions on the forum for smiliar issues. After reset the songs were there but were 'greyed out'and not accessible. Also before I reset, iTunes showed the iPod was full in the capacity bar but after reset it showed that it was empty although song list was all there.

Wouldnt resync the songs either and when I did a restore (which obviously wiped everything) the only back up I had was the settings and not the music.

Just makes me think that Apple products suck even more than I thought already.....

Oct 11, 2012 5:14 AM in response to OzScouser

i had the same thing happen, i had to restore my ipod touch and add everything back which worked execpt now NONE of my playlist appear on my touch now, the songs do but no playlist. when i look in itunes at my touch under devices it shows all my playlist on my touch but when i look for them on my touch they are not there. i can creat new list and they sync but former list don't show up.

Oct 11, 2012 2:35 PM in response to asherndon

Same thing happened to me - in Itunes, all songs appear on my iPod Touch playlists, but on the iPod Touch itself, none of my playlists appear. HOWEVER, when I hit "Edit" on a playlist on the i-Pod and then hit "Add Songs ...", and then hit "Done" all the songs show up in the playlist with the red delete circles at the left. Then when I hit "Done", everything in the Playlist disappears again!

Music just disappeared on 32g iPod touch.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.